Gun waiting period ‘burdens’ 2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Dec 18, 2013.

1. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Not exactly a big win but hopefully it can be built upon in future gun right cases.
    Unfortunately it will probably take another 10 cases at the State level before California will remove the waiting period.

"A federal judge in California has ruled in a Second Amendment case that a state-imposed waiting period to take possession of a firearm is a burden on the constitutional right to keep and bear arms."

http://www.wnd.com/2013/12/judge-says-waiting-period-burdens-2nd-amendment/

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That's disturbing, if it's upheld that'll increase the amount of crazy people going out and buying a gun when they get in a domestic dispute or want to commit a crime. There's no legal reason for a gun that can't wait a few days to get the gun for. You can put off your hunting trip or trip to the shooting range by a little bit without it being an unnecessary burden.

3. lostngone, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

Is there any logic if someone already has a licensed firearm to have to wait X days before buying a second one?

What if they need a firearm for protection against a crazy person or a criminal? Do you think rapist or a murderer is going to wait X days for their victim get a firearm before attacking?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If they are able to get away to go to a gun store they are able to leave the dangerous situation and contact the police instead of getting a gun for vigilante justice.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

OMG .... 10 days!!! You expect registered Cali gun owners to keep playing with their old guns for 10 whole days? They must have their new guns NOW!!!

6. lostngone, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

lostngone

Who said anything about "vigilante justice"? Sure 100% call the police however after you do, then what? Do you think they are going to be able to protect someone 24/7?

Remember, the Police have no legal duty to protect you.

7. iMikeT macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

The majority of Americans want stronger regulations against guns, plain and simple. It's pathetic how the gun nuts keep getting angry by the smallest amount of regulation that's it's become exactly what we see in the gif.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I was hoping to find the actual ruling posted somewhere prior to commenting. Sadly your link seems to be the most direct one for the moment. Everything else just links back to that.

9. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

Not quite so "plain and simple" on your "majority of Americans want stronger regulations against guns" statement.

The current Gallup Polling shows otherwise.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

From this poll I see it as more people want them kept the same or less strict. Please present any current data backing your statement up.

----------

Anything could be possible, it could be a fake(I hope not).

However they do say "WND Exclusive", so only time will tell.

10. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I'm just going to refer to the animated gif in post #7 of this thread. Any more anger about this issue is simply pathetic.

11. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

100% Good for you!

Makes it much easier for me when you don't even WANT to back up the statements you make with any type of proof.

12. lostngone, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013

lostngone

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Thanks. I wasn't really looking for ammo, and I suspect that was a pun.

I just did. The reason I wanted to find it was to see how it was represented in the article. Unless I'm really missing something embedding in the references to case law, it isn't far off. It should be noted that the case is open. The predominant plaintiff arguments are around line 25. Unfortunately they don't paste well.

14. copykris Suspended

copykris

like an extra gun for extra protection?

how about they call the cops in the above scenario?

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think that waiting periods serve a necessary purpose, ie. to run a thorough background check. That said, a 10 day waiting period is too long.

16. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Please provide data to support that fallacy.

There is no legal reason to NOT allow me to go to the store and buy and gun and walk off. There is nothing else I have to wait for. Run the background check and let me be on my way. I don't live in a big city. The best firearm place is about an hour and a half to 2 hours away depending on traffic.

17. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Better shoot 'em, ya know some goodies or baddies or something, eh pardner. If they stop ya'll layin' in a arms real quick some amendment could flip quicker than the earth's magnetic field.

18. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Is it dead or just sleeping? :)

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

"Fifty-two percent of Americans now say they want stricter laws covering the sale of firearms. By comparison, 38 percent think gun laws should remain the same, and another 8 percent say they should be less strict." http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...-gun-control-drops-to-pre-newtown-levels?lite

By a WHOLE whopping 52% vs. 46%.

Good thing that's irrelevant for the US form of government where we don't operate on mob rule. When you get closer to 2/3's of the states, and can call an Article V Convention, get back to us.

20. copykris Suspended

copykris

i love your double negative, but guns are specifically designed to kill or otherwise fatally wound living creatures --you better believe there's, or there SHOULD be, every legal reason NOT to allow you to 'go to the store and buy a gun and walk off'

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Study US law and history. The revolution, world history of oppressive governments, our constitution. Then come back to this thread educated with intelligence.

22. copykris, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013

copykris Suspended

copykris

gladly! where can i study intelligence?

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I see you want to make sure you don't have to wait 10 days to overthrow your government. You might want to go down to your local nuke and tank store as well if you want to get anywhere with that.

24. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

So is rat poison. Should there be a waiting period on that too?

----------

Hmm...the voters seem to disagree with you.

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yes, that is the "Majority".

Tell that to gay people in states where the "mob" tries legislate against them having full, equal civil rights.

False equivalences make for terrible comparisons. It makes you look bad.