Gunmen target 7 Mumbai locations

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Diatribe, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Anyone seen this yet? Crazy stuff...

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow... :( I had not yet heard about this. There was another coordinated attack (but bombs) in India... last year, I think? This is awful.

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

This is indeed awful. Bad time too since my parents were going to the same city for a vacation. :(

Does anyone know who these terrorists are?

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i heard that it was a group called Deccan Mujahedeen but i don't know the validity from that

from other comments at one of the the hotels some EU parliamentary were staying for a EU-India conference

5. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Terrorist attacks in Mumbai, India

More than eighty dead and nine hundred wounded. The terrorists have taken foreigners as hostage.

News coverage: Times of India. BBC News. New York Times.

I have family in Mumbai. I hope they are ok. :(

6. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Crazy, these were all the spots me and my wife visited when we went there May 2008. Unfortunately I always had this uneasy feeling that mumbai is such an easy target - because nobody has guns.. the regular cops don't even have basic weapons (just a wooden stick to beat criminals with)

Obviously they had to call the army in, considering that the local police force can't combat with these idiots brandishing AK-47s. :mad:

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I've been in Mumbai the last week working on our show we're filming from there. The attacks happened 5 minutes walk from my hotel. I heard two of the explosions and we heard gunfire as we walked towards one of the hotels this morning. I'm surprised our hotel wasn't hit. Needless to say it was a restless night. I just got back filming from the Taj hotel waiting for something to happen but nothing has yet. Luckily I fly out to Malaysia tomorrow morning...this country is insane. And the food is like intestinal jihad...

8. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wow, glad you are safe. I too have family in Mumbai and luckily all is well.
    You have some guts to be out wandering by the Taj Hotel (wasn't that attacked?). I would be crapping my pants staying in waiting for my first flight out if I had to get out of there.

This is extremely sad and unfortunate. Sometimes I don't know what is going through peoples minds when they decide to do such things. It is truly beyond me. I pray for the best and families of those in danger.

As for the country being insane, not so much, just surprising these attacks. I have family visiting India all the time and living there. Now Pakistan is another story, that country is insane (I lived there and visit frequently. Don't want to go back but I have to this Christmas). And finally, the food haha - if you aren't used to it your in for a long ride at the loo.

Cheers and stay safe.

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Having both friends and adopted siblings from the area, I've been paying a lot of attention to this. I realized tensions were high because of Pakistan border sharing, but I didn't think states outside of Europe and America would be attacked. Let's hope the worst of it is over. :(

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

there have been quite a bit of attacks the last months/years in india

30. October 2008 Series of bombs in northeastern town Assam: more than 80 victims
    26. July 2008: western indian town Ahmedabad: series of 16 bombs: more than 56 people killed
    13. May 2008: Terror attack in northwestern Jaipur: 63 dead
    25. August 2007: two attack in Hyderabad 42 dead
    19. Februar 2007: terror attack on train from New Delhi to Lahore: 69 people dead
    11. July 2006: Mubai 7 bombs explode in trains and railway stations: 187 dead
    8. September 2006: bomb attacks in state Maharashtra: 37 killed
    29. Oktober 2005: bomb series in New Delhi: 60 dead

from the list on the austrian derstandard homepage

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I was more specifically referring to the scope of the attack. To me, nothing as significant of this in terms of orchestration has occurred that I've seen since the train fiasco in London.

13. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Thankfully, the siege is coming to an end according to NYT and Huffington Post.

Here:

Glad its finally over but so sad stuff like this still happens.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hardly anything as significant as this has happened since 9/11... except possibly for the 2006 Mumbai bomb attack.

It was interesting how, before there was any evidence, Western analysts were quick to say things like, "This is not India's 9/11" on the logic that they believed this was internal / domestic. And then later in the same day it leaked that US intelligence agencies think it's the same group that India thinks it is, unbelievably, based out of Pakistan of all places. :rolleyes: We'll have to see what the final answer is, but what motivates that kind of shooting of the mouth by Western analysts?

What happened to these poor families is terrible. As much as this is going to signal a change in Indian policy against terrorism, inevitably, it also has to serve as a wake-up call to the West that people outside of the US and UK are at risk to extremists too, and terrorist actions don't "only count" when they happen in London or New York.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As soon as I heard "boats", I immediately thought Pakistan.

"Process" the dead terrorists, chop them up, and toss them far out to sea.

Good fish food.

16. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

I think it's time India contribute some more troops for Afghan/Iraq fighting now. What a perfect reason for it. Considering that the Western economy has embraced them and contributed so much to their bustling prosperity, it's about time they give some more hand into stopping this kind of activity. Time to pay some of that debt in blood! :eek:

As for the Jihadists... not sure if this is indication that they are expanding their reach of operations, or if it's a desperate act of trying to get their message across by some strange "guerrilla type" operations on soft targets since they have no hope against military confrontations.

17. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I am truly speechless.

18. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

You shouldn't be, rasmasyean is the forums resident warmonger.

19. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

It's ALWAYS pakistan, since the day it was created. Bloody pi$$er of a country.. can't believe India keeps putting up with this crap - spineless government. :mad:

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

India have done as much to inflame the situation in Kashmir. There's an excellent article here by William Dalrymple which puts an excellent and neutral overview on the situation.

It's a far more complex situation than Pakistan=bad, India=good. Some excerpts:

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Don't worry, we haven't forgotten to fault Britain for this mess as well (or Gandhi or Nehru). ;)

But the thing about the conflict between terrorists and nations is this: Violence on the part of the nations has almost never in history worked to quell terrorists.

And the thing about the conflict between India and Pakistan is this. India stopped needing the conflict more than a decade ago. If they gave Jammu and Kashmir to Pakistan tomorrow, India would continue to grow economically and in terms of regional power at a rapid clip, and Pakistan would continue to implode. Almost all of the sensibility in Pakistan was resected during the war which resulted in Bangladesh's birth as a nation.

Pakistan needs to find peace with India because Pakistan is on the brink of being able to survive as a stable nation and falling into the kind of nonsense that has plagued Afghanistan.
    India doesn't need peace with Pakistan because it can't maintain a reasonable level of control. It needs peace with Pakistan because it needs to move on, emotionally, as a nation.

And I also think that, reality is reality. India has one of the largest populations of Muslims in the world. It needs to make its image as the best place in the world for peace-loving Muslims to live, in much the same way that the United States still needs to make itself into the best place in the world for Black people to live. When India can do that, it will really have moved on from the mess of Partition.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's times like this I pull out my New Zealand passport. Bloody Brits, always sticking their nose into things. :D

We're burdened with the consequences of decisions made many decades ago. :(

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, honestly, us too. :( I mean we as Americans bear responsibilities for people (who in my case weren't even my ancestors) and what they did a hundred and fifty years ago. But it's still what it is....

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I can't agree with this post enough, or say it any better.

It's really horrific sometimes to hear older Indian-Americans carry on the senseless hate from their childhood. :(