Guns and Pit Bulls

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jknight8907, Mar 24, 2013.

1. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

2. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

In before the "they were crazy religious people and got what they deserved" comments.:p

Don't get me started on pit bulls.:mad:

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Two thoughts.

1. Good for him.

2. Nice sweater.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You must really hate atheists to think any person would think anyone would deserve that. How sad for you.

5. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Whats next."Pit bull saves family from gun toting maniac"?:rolleyes:

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

You got a problem with Pits? :rolleyes:

I grew up my whole life having Pitbulls. They are one of the sweetest and loving dogs to own. It the idiots who train them to be violent and abuse them that is the problem. A pitbull has saved my mothers life once against an intruder who used the fire escape to enter the apartment.

7. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Yes. Yes I do.

----------

Why do atheists always think that someone that believes in God hates them? Is it projection or is it that that is the reaction you seek with your views?

I hate pitbulls and mustard....that's about it.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Actually, you were the one to make a hateful comment.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its the assumption of institualisation.

I'm not stoked on pitts either for the record. But tbh, they're an illegal breed here anyway.

10. 2020mike macrumors 6502

Although I agree that how an animal is raised plays a big part of its behavior. There has been cases where civilized pitbulls have still snapped. A couple of weeks ago 50 miles from me a pitbull snapped and mauled a 2 year old to death and injured its owner. I'm still not convinced that this breed can be fully stable for ownership. Not saying they should all be executed or anything but I'm still on the fence about the breed.

11. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Replace "pitbull" with "human" and that's still true, unfortunately.

My sister has a pit, and it's one of the sweetest ones I know. Sure, he'll defend itself if it feels threatened. However, when not threatened, the meanest thing he'll do is lick your face off if given a chance. He's maybe too energetic for his own good, and some people might confuse that with aggression, but he's a good dog.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I love mustard and hate mayonnaise with the passion of a billion burning suns.

At some point were gonna have to have a fight to the death. You mayo lovers make my life a living hell, and I can't tolerate your continued existence. :mad:

13. elistan macrumors 6502a

They don't.

Might as well ask why is the sky purple and pink polkadot colored.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It depends. If someone's entire experience of atheist/theist interactions is based off the internet and youtube comments, they might be right.

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Because of your hateful, disgusting comment.

----------

Or if they have a reading comprehension problem. They like to turn things around, as what mud is doing here. Post something full of hate, have it pointed out to you, turn it around and blame the other guy...

16. elistan macrumors 6502a

Good point. Similarly, if someone's entire experience of Apple products is based off Internet and YouTube comments, they might think the products are constantly hacked, totally unreliable, can never sync or connect to WiFi, and only purchased by Jobs-worshiping image-conscious hipsters. Hopefully, someone is insightful enough to realize that a vocal minority are not representative of the experiences and opinions of the much larger majority.

So if we revise the question to: "Why do commenters on YouTube who self-identify as athiests sometimes claim that someone who believes in God hates them?" We can answer with: "Because some commenters on YouTube inflammatory trolls. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit."

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Or sometimes they have the proof that the religious people do hate them. As in saying someone who doesn't believe in god would be such a disgusting human being, they would be happy that a religious person was mauled by a pit bull.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

All breeds of dog snap, but it's usally Pits you hear about in the media because their reputation makes a good story. There is plenty breeds that are much more temperamental, including bigger dogs.

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

We get it with Staffordshire bull terriers. They've become a status dog and get treated badly. So seen in the media as violent and dangerous dogs, it happens with Rottweilers too. The media always claims that staffs are violent as they're bread for fighting which isn't true at all, staffs are bred for ratting. Dogs like sharpeis are actually fighting dogs.

I'm actually much more uneasy around dogs such as border collies, who are much more likely to go mental because they're working dogs being kept as pets and not exercised enough. The one time I've had a dog go for me it was a husky (another working dog being kept as a pet) and my ex's staff stopped it.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Pitts, but they've always been on the dangerous breed list here, I think there were a lot more problems when dog fighting was more commonplace in the UK. What were they bred for?

I dream of the day I've got the time and space to get a dog. It will be an English bill terrier :)

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I would have done the same thing and I don't own any guns.

And don't say how could I do it.

I'm just saying if I had a gun I would have shot the dog too.

The guy saved a couple of lives and the dog owner should be arrested.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's a rare dog that just goes "mental" for no reason.

Instead, there are almost always patterns of abuse and neglect that accompany an attacking dog. Many people use rough treatment as training and unfortunately, the American Pit Bull Terrier and the Siberian Husky (Alaska Husky, Malamute, etc.) tend to become aggressive dangerous dogs in response. Note, that small dogs like Chihuahuas can also become aggressive and dangerous, but don't get media coverage because their bites are rarely life-threatening.

In my experience, a well-cared for Husky (have owned two, an Alaskan and Siberian) and pitt bull terrier can be wonderful dogs. And, though I've been around dogs all my life, I've only been bit once and that was by a ill-tempered Chihuahua.

As 'catch' dogs for hunting, livestock herding and home defense.

Later cross-breeding with Rottweilers and Bull Mastiffs has created larger and often more aggressive pitt bulls and those cross-breeds have often been responsible for attacks.

Looking through the Wiki page on dog attacks, pit bulls (mix) are the biggest component, followed up by Siberian Huskies, but keep in mind that everything from a Jack Russell to a Golden Retriever has killed someone, especially children, in the last four years.

Also, keep in mind that dogs are often identified as pitt bulls though they may be mixes or entirely different kinds of dogs since there's actually several bull terrier breeds.

Ultimately, all dogs are like guns, people need to take responsibility for ownership and, in my opinion, should face huge liabilities should their dog attack someone, including prison time.

22. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

lol

----------

The statistics, and genetics disagree.

----------

Yea, because there is never any hate tossed at people that believe in God on this forum.:rolleyes:

----------

How did a jack russel l kill someone? Did they trip over it and fall down the stairs?

<edit> Found it. Killed a 8 day old baby somewhere in Europe.

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

So that makes it right? I'd ask for proof of what you posted but I'll never see it...just more lame excuses.

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I have a small Jack Russell mix. When I go to the dog park, it's not the pits I'm worried about, but the Siberian Huskies. They tend to see little dogs as prey. No dogs scares me more.