Guns- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, The Stupid

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Huntn, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

My attempt at a catchall gun title to limit my future generation of gun related threads.

How much of this is acceptable to You?

5F297348-E006-4A2E-AB73-B9B1D0A0AB94.jpeg
    They just don’t understand how safe guns make them...
    Or maybe they do.

US Gun 2018 score card through Sept:
    http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

Gun incidents- 43396
    Deaths- 11000
    Injuries- 21000
    Children killed or injured- 500
    Teens killed or injured- 2138
    Mass shootings-270
    Officers shot or killed- 223
    Suspects shot or killed by police-1600
    Home invasion- 1500
    Defensive use- 1300
    Accidental- 1200

My opinion of the State of Gun USA updated May 2018
    If we were serious about eliminating gun deaths we would ban all guns, but we know this will never happen until new generations come along and finally say you old codgers are off your rockers, enough killing already.

So instead the intent is to lessen, not eliminate death by gun, so when the next previous law abiding citizen commits a mass shooting he’ll kill 5-10 people before being subdued instead of 10-50. Yes, ten should be the limit on acceptable suffering. :rolleyes:

Mental health is a huge issues that as far as I can tell, the gun lobby is not serious about, giving it lip service because if done comprehensively, it would be expensive to manage and it would inconvenience average gun owners. The reality is that until gun owners in this country get serious about limiting harm, death by gun will prevail. Keep in mind the group that think death by gun is a necessary price to pay for my 2A freedom.

Look at this list of school shootings, there always have been school shootings in 1s and 2s. Although the UT, Austin sniper shooting in 1966 resulted in 17 deaths, this was the first, but it was an aberration at the time. In the 1990s it started becoming a more regular occurrence.
    List of School Shootings: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Then there are mass shootings in general.
    Mass Shootings in the US: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shootings_in_the_United_States
    Studies indicate that the rate at which public mass shootings occur has tripled since 2011. Between 1982 and 2011, a mass shooting occurred roughly once every 200 days. However, between 2011 and 2014 that rate has accelerated greatly with at least one mass shooting occurring every 64 days in the United States.[22]

So what separates us from the rest of the World? Are we more
    • blood thirsty?
    • Socially sicker?
    • less tolerant?
    • More socially abusive?
    • Mentally ill?
    • Have more access to guns?
    Something has fundamentally changed. Although it can be argued that these type people who snap based on social abuse, is a very small minority of the populace, the gun lobby certainly hang their guns on this fact, the question and debate remains about how much blood are we allowing to flow in support of our individual gun rights and access.

And after schools are turned into forts, we’ll have to fortify every public venue a huge expense, but then there are those who unbelievably argue no gun free zones, like airports or Congress, just so they can have precious by their side at all times, and if not, why not airports or zcingress? ... a great topic for a talk about mental issues.

The bottom line, we have always had guns, but arguably since the 1990s more and more of us have access to, and more of us are misusing the ability to wield lethal power, to the detriment of our society. The question is what is our collective limit? How much blood must flow in the streets, schools, homes of America until we collectively decide the 2A right is more of a detriment to our society than something positive for it?

My opinion of likelyhood:
    Likely
    Unlikely
    When Hell Freezes Over

The options as I see them:
    • Background checks that really work, ie a comprehensive unified database and reporting compliance of associated restrictions such as domestic abuse, felon, whatever other appropriate restrictions to owning a gun.
    • Loss of Privacy: Although I believe mental health records are already included as a monitoring restriction, should they be expanded to prescriptions of medications associated with depression, etc? Anything in this country that involves loss of privacy is an uphill battle.
    • Psychological Evaluations prior to purchase and periodic revaluation. For example, I don’t believe the Vegas shooter was on the radar as a threat even though he had acquired a large number of guns and ammo, and was deranged br most reasonable citizens’ appraisals. The most recent Florida shooter was on the radar, but the system let us down.
    • Gun registration to monitor the number of guns and ammo being purchased by individuals and groups.
    • Restrictions on magazine style, bullet types such as hollow nose, kits designed to convert a weapon to automatic, etc.
    • Banning high velocity magazine fed, semi-automatic assault style rifles.
    • Ban- If serious about limiting harm, ban ALL semiautomatic rifles and handguns.
    • What have I overlooked?

Compilation of MacRumors Gun Related Threads and Gun Incidents. We reap what we sow, just too dumb to admit it.
    There are just so many gun related threads, they fly by so fast, you might forget they ever happened. ;) A list of current and new ones. Date of post included for fast recall.

Updates (This is no where close to being a complete record)
    • 28Jun 18- Added Annapolis Newspaper Shooting.
    • 28May18- Added May 2018 Texas and Indiana school shootings.
    • 17 May 18- Added Ponder, Texas Murder Suicide, 5 victims.
    • 24 April18- Added new section, Gun Owners Fight Back
    • April 2018-Waffle House Shooting.
    • 16Feb18- updated with Florida Mass School Shooting
    • 14Nov17- Kids shot in N.California added.
    • 5Nov17- Shooting in small town Texas church.
    • 1Oct17- Deadliest mass shooting in U.S. to date: Las Vegas 50 dead, 400+ wounded.
    • 18Jul17- Added Woman dials 911, shot dead by police.
    • 17Apr17- Added Live Stream link.
    • 6Jan 2017- Added Ft. Lauderdale Airport shooting under Mass shootings.
    • 28Sep16- Added School Shooting Category along with S.Carolina School Shooting.
    • 25July- Added Orlando and Ft Myers Night club shootings.
    • 22Jul- Added unarmed man shot by police to Controversial police Shooting Section.
    • 10Jul16- Added support article under controversial police shootings section.
    • 07Jul16- Added Controversial Police Shooting Section

Gun Violence Related Links:
    * Apr 2017 Urgent: BREAKING Suspected Serial Killer Steve Stephens Live-Streams Murder On Facebook Live
    *Gun Violence Archive
    *Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
    *Gun Violence in the Untied States
    *Law Center To Prevent Gun Violence
    *We can't fix U.S. gun violence until we address the psychosis at the heart of mass gun ownership.
    Mm

I've missed several. Post with link and I'll add it to the hlist. I considered making this a wiki post, but the option was not available for this forum.

Legal Rulings
    * Appeals court says that concealed carry isn't a right
    (June 2016)

Mass Shootings

Controversial Police Shootings (Section added July 2016)

School Shootings

Misc Shootings

Gun Owners Fight Back

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

PRSI soil is particularly fecund and gun threads sprout like ear hair.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I agree -- absolutely.

In fact, I think we might get a new motto out of this: "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a stolen toilet seat is a self-appointed vigilante with a gun."

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

9 gun threads on page 1. Guys, how about adding onto existing threads?

5. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Easy there, Huntn. You're just politicizing tragedies to promote your liberal agenda.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

They don't make the tragedies any less tragic though.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

His point (with the title) was that this could be the catch-all thread for what is bound to be the stream of gun massacres and mayhem in the years to come.

Years ago I emailed the forum admins, asking for a forum stickie, HO-HUM, ANOTHER SHOOTING IN AMERICA.

But that didn't go anywhere.

8. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

The woman should be given the Medal of Honor

Wait, she missed? Throw her in jail

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you have been deleted.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    People have been griping about too many gun threads for as long as I've been posting here. Moreso than politics, religion, or social issues, it's THE one issue that gets brought up the most around here.

They should rename the forum to Guns and jkcerda Posting That One Rachel Maddow Link.

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Because nothing says responsible gun owner quite like a woman firing a weapon at a fleeing shoplifter in a public area.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I know huh, I also wish the criminal would have done his deed in a private range so that there would be no chance an innocent bystander getting hit but criminals don't have any common sense, still I am glad the woman decided to act so that she could save the store some money, I don't care if the merchandise is insured

Is your sarcasm meter still broken?

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I do not have a sarcasm meter because there is no such thing as one.

17. citizenzen, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

He has enough common sense to not shoplift in a private gun range.

Not to many big box retail stores in those anyway.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Give it three weeks.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I could sell you one I picked up from this store I thought was gun free until a lunatic female pulled out a gun & started firing at me, than GOD she was not properly trained & missed :D

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

save money? bet this costs far more because of the ammosexual and the legal issues she has caused. This lady had no common sense.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Only because the bad guy got away, think of all the money she could have saved the tax payers had she killed the criminal, now the one facing jail is her :doh:

Anyways I got more than one sarcasm meter from my earlier heist for sale.

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Money saved? her murder trial would be far higher just think of the cost of a death sentence. but hell she was judge jury and failed executioner. lets just hope no dogs steal food around her. she also failed her robo cop class too.

23. jkcerda, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Of course she failed robo cop class, the book was not structured in the form of a recipe and women can't understand things any other way.

What is your addy? I'll send that meter for free as you could sure use it :D

24. johnh57 macrumors regular

I didn't read the article - but from the headline (which admittedly in todays news world sometimes only tangentially relates to the article itself) she is in trouble , and rightly so. Justifiable use of deadly force is rather limited in scope, as I understand it. There is Castle doctrine which means if I'm threatened where I am occupying I'm justified. i.e. if I'm in my home, car, etc and someone is in/breaking in I am justified in defending myself. However, If I pull in the driveway and see someone through the window and I know wife kids etc are not at home - that would not a justified use of deadly force and castle doctrine would not apply since I wasn't actually in the structure.

Then there is 'stand your ground' doctrine which is slightly different and says I don't have to retreat or attempt to retreat if confronted outside of my occupancy and I am entitled to defend myself. Not all states have 'stand your ground' laws.

The use of deadly force in a public space against a fleeing thief that isn't reasonably assumed to be a threat to anyone elses safety is just asking for trouble.

Not a lawyer, and laws vary from state to state. This is the reason why I took a CCW class even though I haven't followed through with application for a CCW. The laws are complex.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Man, I hate that my ears are as fertile as a Duggar woman.