Gutted - Been ripping my DVDs and just found out about forced subtitles? How to rip?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Risco, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

I can't believe this, I just spent the last couple of weeks ripping my DVD collection. Now I have found out about forced subtitles... By this I mean the subtitles that appear for only the foreign bits like in The Mummy or Indiana Jones for example.

Is there a way to get them in without going through ripping my collection again? Secondly how do I make sure they are included for future ripping with Handbrake.

:(

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    For incorporating them after the fact, you'll need to use other tools like subler and download the forced english subtitles as what are known as .srt files.

How to get them on the fly is pretty easy with Handbrake. See: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Subtitles For the films missing them, you may find it easier to just run them back through Handbrake with "forced only" and "burned in" checked.

Downloading the .srt files usually works but timing issues can sometimes appear- especially when the movie has been released multiple times, sometimes with fine differences in playback.

Handbrake does a great job with forced subtitles in DVDs.

3. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Mmm, seems I need to re-encode.. I tried the foreign audio search, but it takes ages! So I decided to just select the first english track and choose forced only and burned in. Will that work?

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    forced subtitles search should not take ages unless you are using a very old machine. I think it's pretty fast on an old Powerbook G4 laptop I sometimes fire up. That scan is usually no more than about 3-5 minutes.

You can't pick the subtitle track yourself as it's not always obvious. You'll end up creating a whole video (which is very time consuming) and then having subtitles all the way through or the wrong subtitles, etc.

5. mic j, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

mic j macrumors 68030

There is no fool proof way of doing forced subtitles in HB. The first thing I always do is to check this database (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjJJQ9cOO5PicFBIRVFYcmVhb2pGeldFb1ZiVUx3UUE&hl=en#gid=0) and verify if there is a forced subtitle and what type it is (forced, separate track, embedded, burned-in etc). Then try to either set up HB with the foreign audio search or add the track manually (if it's a separate track) and check burn-in. The message here is that foreign audio subtitles are done different ways and it can vary by country and release version and that there is no "one size fit's all" method.

As for what you have already ripped, I also would just find a .srt file to download and mux it in with Subler. If you really really really want the srt's to have perfect spelling, punctuation and sync, you can create them yourself using Subler and edit them using an editing app (I use Jubler). Takes me about an hour to edit a 2 hour movie.

As mentioned, sync can be an issue with downloaded srt files. So when you download, try and find a source as close to your source as possible, that is, if you are doing a dvd, don't pick an srt generated from a BR. If the sync is off the same throughout the movie, Subler has an offset setting that you can correct the sync with.

6. Rushli0n macrumors regular

I just finished my collection as well and noticed a few that aren't showing up. Star Wars Episode IV and VI to name a few. Most of my DVDs luckily don't have subs...but it does suck that some just did it by default (LOTR Trilogy) and some don't.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

where do you find the srt files for only the foreign language scenes when i add subtitles it all has them for the english speaking scenes

8. mic j macrumors 68030

Lots of srt sources, but I often use subscene.com. You have to look in the comments section for something like, "only where foreign language spoken", or "Navi spoken scenes only". Something like that. Of course, forced sub srt files are rarer than regular subtitles. Thankfully, I don't have a lot of movies with true forced subs, most are already burned in.