Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Ok what’s the #1. New feature that our current 11” or 12.9” iPad Pros Don’t have that that you wish we head and you will Upgrade and get a new model just to have this one new feature?

Originally I said to myself OLED, but that has too many draw backs and I don’t wanna get a Gen 1 iPad Pro OLED Display.
I’d have to say. The ability to use My iPad Pro 11” Display as just that as a simple Display. With no iOS. Let me hookup my Nintendo Switch via USB-C or even as a second Display for my MBP.
It would just be an Optional one time Reboot option that would automatically reset itself back to iPad mode after a restart.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
It’s hard to think about what the next innovation will be. Light wieght, oled. It doesn’t seem revolutionary it’s more evolutionary. Flexibly display (negates bending that for sure). Seems like iPads are kinda hitting the saturation point and hitting a peak. For me with the new iPad I’ll upgrade in 4 yrs I guess. By that time the battery will be terrible and maybe the pencil will truly feel like a real pencil/pen. Right now it’s pretty darn close and doable to use as a writing implement.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
The new pro is only 2 months old. If Apple goes with the 18 month cycle and keeps the same design then mist likely the NEXT pro will only be a spec bump. But since thats probably 1.5 years from now, I can't really give you a good answer. The real changes will most likely be 2-3 years out? I'm certainly not thinking that for ahead.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Micro Led. It still likely will be in development for another 2/3 years at minimum, but I do forsee this being the next GEN display, I don’t think OLED will be a consideration for the iPad. The benefits for Micro-Led are significant with increased brightness, higher resolution and doesn’t draw as much power, which will result in longer battery life.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Micro Led. It still likely will be in development for another 2/3 years at minimum, but I do forsee this being the next GEN display, I don’t think OLED will be a consideration for the iPad. The benefits for Micro-Led are significant with increased brightness, higher resolution and doesn’t draw as much power, which will result in longer battery life.
MicroLED is just individually lit pixels unlike now where we put a light shout each behind them. Also MicroLED has many draw backs and it’s only viable as a far away display technology since upclose you can see separations in a grim loke pattern.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
MicroLED has many draw backs.

Can you list the ‘many’ draw backs? Just curious, have you ever experienced Micro-Led in person to make any insinuations? ( I’m also willing to make the counter argument, _any_ type of displays have drawbacks, which includes OLED/LCD).

Last edited:

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Ok what’s the #1. New feature that our current 11” or 12.9” iPad Pros Don’t have that that you wish we head and you will Upgrade and get a new model just to have this one new feature?

Originally I said to myself OLED, but that has too many draw backs and I don’t wanna get a Gen 1 iPad Pro OLED Display.
I’d have to say. The ability to use My iPad Pro 11” Display as just that as a simple Display. With no iOS. Let me hookup my Nintendo Switch via USB-C or even as a second Display for my MBP.
It would just be an Optional one time Reboot option that would automatically reset itself back to iPad mode after a restart.

At this point, I think it would be a number of smaller quality of life improvements rather than one big thing. For example, if they added haptic feedback to it, alongside standard improvements.

These current iPad Pros really are dream machines in terms of hardware and I think everyone is waiting on software upgrades more than the next hardware thing. This includes iOS upgrades but 3rd party apps as well. For example, having the ability to use Zbrush on my iPad Pro would be a really big thing for me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There is no feature that would make me upgrade. The current iPad does everything I need it to do.

I think overall this is the issue for people not upgrading their iPads, there's been no appreciable change to the technology for a number of years. The current iPad pro, is very much like an old iPad 2 in form and function. CPU/memory and display improvements have refined the experience but there has been little in terms of what I would say seismic changes.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I’ll say it, and actually this goes for most of Apple’s current lineup - what would really attract me into upgrading would be a renewed focus on durability and battery life. Stop obsessing over thinness at the expense of everything else.

Take the same internals as the current iPad pros and simply put them in a stronger frame with some better material (magnesium?) or improved structural design. Actually give some assurance that you can use it the way you should be able to use an iPad without it cracking or bending. That would be an awesome update.

That’s far more attractive to me than any (largely unnecessary at this point) speed boost or display enhancement.

Reactions: kazmac and wib

mr_jomo

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
At this point, I think it would be a number of smaller quality of life improvements rather than one big thing. For example, if they added haptic feedback to it, alongside standard improvements.

These current iPad Pros really are dream machines in terms of hardware and I think everyone is waiting on software upgrades more than the next hardware thing. This includes iOS upgrades but 3rd party apps as well. For example, having the ability to use Zbrush on my iPad Pro would be a really big thing for me.

Agree, the current hardware is pretty much what I hoped the iPad Pro 2018 would become. Software improvements to increase productivity (insert standard list) and a “boot to macos” would make me upgrade in an instant.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009

If they could dramatically decrease the weight so that perhaps an 11" pro were the same weight as a Kindle, or the 12.9" had the weight of the 11", that could make me desire a new Pro. But it does not seem likely.

chrism_scotland

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2018
I think the release of a "full-fat" Photoshop in 2019 could be a game-changer for iOS as it show's other developers whats possible and may help drive others towards full-on applications rather than cut-down mobile apps.

Hardware wise I can't see what could be better, 2x USB-C ports?... 5G maybe?

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I think at this point, software is where it’s at. Improvements there will really open up the ipad pros true potential. If Apple can unlock the usb-c’s ability to transfer video to & from an external hard drive for instance. Better file management. And so many other little things. Wow. Thats what i am looking forward to the most. That, and apps that fully utilize the new pros power, like the upcoming photoshop...and possibly <ahem!> Final Cut Pro(Apple are you listening?).

Since i just bought the 11” ipad pro(and am very happy with it), i probably won’t be upgrading for quite awhile anyway. Probably not for a few years at least. But when the new ipad mini comes out, i will definitely buy it to replace my ipad mini 2 thats for sure. Hopefully it will get the flat edged design, pencil 2 support, usb-c, and face ID. Heh heh heh.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
There is no feature that would make me upgrade. The current iPad does everything I need it to do.

I think overall this is the issue for people not upgrading their iPads, there's been no appreciable change to the technology for a number of years. The current iPad pro, is very much like an old iPad 2 in form and function. CPU/memory and display improvements have refined the experience but there has been little in terms of what I would say seismic changes.

Same here with the 10.5. The price jump on the new Pros' plus the cost of replacing a lot of peripherals/accessories has become just too much for me. The 10.5 works great for and I plan to keep it for some time.

Reactions: Booji

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Mouse support, Adobe Illustrator and SD slot so I can add my own storage and not pay a fortune for 1TB.

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
The only reason I haven't and won't upgrade mine and my wife's iPad Pro's this year is the durability issue. I have seen way too many posts where people have bent iPads, some admittedly their fault and others that were bent out of the box. I know that the bending is not as widespread as some would have you believe. Regardless, this version has an obvious flaw that allows them to become damaged way to easily.

Reactions: kazmac

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Agree, the current hardware is pretty much what I hoped the iPad Pro 2018 would become. Software improvements to increase productivity (insert standard list) and a “boot to macos” would make me upgrade in an instant.

macOS on touch devices would make a poor product. “Yeah but what if they optimized macOS for touch devices?” - well, the road to that powerful touch-based OS is shorter from the iOS side: meaning, it would be less work to add productivity features (rethought for touch and modern workflows) to iOS, than it would be to change macOS to work well on iPads.

Add better files support, add even more power to Shortcuts, make multitasking even better - and you get a fully capable iOS-based pro computer. On the other hand - optimize entire macOS UI for touch and change the way it works on a touchscreen, that’s much more work, if it’s even possible. And please, don’t tell me “but how did Microsoft manage to do it, then?” because I don’t think they succeeded at all.

We just need a better iOS (hopefully, that’s coming) and a lot more pro-level apps.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
not a feature but make the iPad mini pro with pencil support please. I find the 11 / 12 are too large for a portable tablet for me at least. I will upgrade in a heart beat... no brainer purchase. I will preorder if they have it. It doesn't need the best of the best features I just want a portable pencil enabled tablet. thank you apple.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
There is none. With how expensive iPads are now, I will only buy one once my current 10.5” becomes unusable. Even then, I might not even get a new one. I really don’t want to spend thousands of dollars to keep replacing a laptop and an iPad every few years, so I’ll have to see where iPads vs Laptops are in a few years to decide whether I’ll get one or not.

Reactions: dfgddikf

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Need to add mouse support, and revise the keyboard cover to have a trackpad and illuminated
keys.

Reactions: AlexJoda

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
doesn't bend...
but software needs to be updated.

Also lower the price at some point for a "slimmed down laptop" I rather get a MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.