GW Bush memoir

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Nov 12, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Huffington Post

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sounds like the work of a C student. No surprise. I wouldn't subject myself to the torture. He tortured too many people as it was. I have no intention of becoming another of his victims. ;)

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There is no way I'm reading that book.

I wish G.W. the best of luck in trying to put a shine on his tarnished legacy.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I plan on reading it after I'm finished with the current book I'm reading. A friend gave me the epub file. It will be my first book on my iPad. I wouldn't pay for that ****.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I expect a book report by next Friday.

6. 184550 Guest

Typical HuffPo drab.

It'd be nice if they provided page numbers to substantiate their claims.

7. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

You are actually attacking the source of the story because they didn't make it easier for you to verify their claims? The fact that they pointed you to direct statements from prior works wasn't good enough for you? Do you honestly think they would post the story if they hadn't compared the quotes from Bush's book and the quotes he "borrowed?"

Huffington Post is not Fox News or a right-wing website. They try to have a little journalistic integrity. Maybe not much, but they try.

8. 184550 Guest

Good thing they're not posting here at MR.

Well, if they've taken the time to compare the passages in question, it shouldn't be that hard to post the pages numbers, should it?

9. mcrain, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, I can't imagine what would happen if someone here stole someone elses material, posted it as if it were their own, and didn't provide a to it. :rolleyes: That would be crazy! :eek:

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't think anyone needs the Huffington Post's help in determining the nature of this memoir, given the subject.

The memoir might be interesting as Dubya's side of the story versus Cheney and his goons, but I don't expect it to stray too much from the party line his administration established when he was in office.

Memoirs released this quickly after an event are never remotely objective; they are almost exclusively "my side of the story" books intended to perpetuate a certain viewpoint.

11. 184550 Guest

I was actually referring to the ease of verifying claims, as was evidenced by my bolding of that portion of the sentence.

MR PRSI is notorious for needing links/ evidence to substantiate claims.

12. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I find you both disappointedly close-minded. I guess I'm pretty much always disappointed by people in this aspect, but I just don't understand how you both could have no interest in the insight of a president that you disliked so thoroughly.

Do you think bush was a bad president or a bad president and an evil man?

Do you find it respectable that he refuses to comment on Obama's job because of his respect for the presidency among other reasons?

Citizenzen, Bush has no interest in putting a shine on his legacy. He is very content.

13. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I can only imagine...

[​IMG]

14. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I know you're disappointed, it's no fun when they ignore you.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I think Bush was always a man well out of his depth and his adminstration featured an overmighty VP in the person of Dick Cheney. A Cheney memoir would be a more relevent tome to use in exploring the Bush Administration than that of Bush himself.

Was he a bad president? Oh my, yes. Was he an evil man? More debatable. I don't think his actions were undertaken with malice so much as ignorance and incompetence. Either way he was a disaster.

As for his own concern for his legacy, I don't think he really cares that much, but I do think he has finally come to realize now that very few people are considering his presidency an effective or successful one.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What would make you think there's any value to be found in the book?

Plus there will be enough coverage to get the gist without having to shell out $24.95.

Now if he decides to really come clean, then I might change my mind.

But if he's only trying to spin his incredibly inept time in office, then I'll pass.

17. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Im talking about lee.

Hate is an emotion, decision, choice I wish we could overcome. Hate hurts alot of people Citizenzen

18. leekohler, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Huh? I don't know the guy, how can I hate him?

I did hate what he did to this country, other countries and many of our citizens though. The man's administration did untold amounts of damage that will most likely take at least a decade to repair, possibly more. Also, during his administration, political discourse became extremely hostile, and his policies divided the nation. I have no interest in reading his memoirs. The memories of his presidency are still too fresh in my own mind.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree.

That's why I'm turning over a new leaf myself (hence the new avatar).

No more hate.

I'm just gonna be a big [cat] from now on. ;)

20. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I was referring to you in my first post lee, not regarding the hate.

21. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Glad to hear Citizenzen. I noticed the avatar, it's very nice. It also adds a lovely bit of color to the threads. It compliments you well.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I hope I answered your question.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please note the delicate drop shadow and background color matching.

That doesn't just come out-of-the-box, you know. ;)