GWB not at Ground Zero

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, May 6, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The President's public remarks prior to GWB's decision not to attend were made the night Bin Laden was killed. A transcript is here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/05/02/remarks-president-osama-bin-laden.

I just reread it, and it seems to very briefly, but accurately outline what happened. There were years of painstaking work by the intelligence community. In addition, he said: "Over the last 10 years, thanks to the tireless and heroic work of our military and our counterterrorism professionals, we’ve made great strides in that effort. We’ve disrupted terrorist attacks and strengthened our homeland defense. In Afghanistan, we removed the Taliban government, which had given bin Laden and al Qaeda safe haven and support. And around the globe, we worked with our friends and allies to capture or kill scores of al Qaeda terrorists, including several who were a part of the 9/11 plot."

I didn't have the impression that he snubbed the intelligence community or the military. After the announcement, there were many people from the administration giving credit to the intelligence community. The only people/actions that weren't given credit were related to "enhanced interrogation."

It would have been nice to see some unity for a change, but as a liberal, I do appreciate that he is following historical precedent of not publicly criticizing the current administration.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He should have accepted the invitation. A real opportunity to heal the divide (even a little) in this country was missed.

5. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

It is, sort of. I mean, I completely understand where he's coming from and respect his decision to stay out of the limelight, but his reasoning behind it seems odd. Plus, for a guy who doesn't want to criticize the president, he seems to be allowing his aides to parrot the Fox News party line regarding "special interrogation" being partly responsible for helping find Bin Laden.

Why is that being brought back up? Why on earth would they want to put the spotlight back on something that increased terror recruitment. Why not leave that dead horse alone?

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

To be fair (and I'm not the biggest Bush fan), his reasoning is coming from "high placed sources," and this might be one of those times where to sources are speaking more for themselves than they are for Bush.

Bush's decision to not go to ground zero seems in line with his behavior since he left office (with the exception of the book tour). He's staying out of the spotlight and making as few comments about the current state of affairs as possible.

Perhaps it stands out a bit due to the contrast between Bush and Clinton? Clinton took a radically different approach to post-presidential life. Neither approach is incorrect, but the differences are stark enough that you notice.

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I disagree. An anonymous source hypothesizing to the New York Daily News on the internal decision-making process of someone else is a very important news story.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is more of a symbolic assassination than an actual triumph. Okay so we killed one man, hurray. Osama hasn't really been in the limelight for 6-7 years and hasn't been on the forefront of my mind for longer.

9. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I agree, but it would also have been a symbolic moment of unity to see both Presidents at ground zero; heck invite Clinton too and make it three.

10. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

You get your symbolism in September:
    source

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

If you expect not to be blamed for the stunning failures of your administration that got us into this mess in the first place, you should not also expect your administration to get any credit for this. Obama has been in office for 28 months, quite a while to spend improving the intel process.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't have a problem with Bush not attending, this was Obama's first official visit to ground zero. He is the president now and this was his big accomplishment.

13. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

hahahaha

If this isn't a "Non-story", then I honestly do not know what could be.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Watching CNN, I caught some video of the ceremony.

The best part was seeing Rudolph Giuliani and 4-5 other old, white, New York big shots standing with Obama.

Those old farts looked like they wanted to be anywhere, but where they were ... commemorating the successful accomplishment of a liberal, black man.

The pain on their wrinkled mugs was clear as day. :D

15. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Your soul must be pretty ugly if that was all you could glean from it.

Not to mention how ridiculously presumptuous of you that is....

Not to mention dragging race into a situation where it is NOT an issue in the slightest...

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

+1

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Lordy, how much merit is deserved when you drop the ball for all most 6 years of your Administration, abandoning Afghanistan, while having strong armed your intelligence community into making up **** to support an offensive invasion against a country that has nothing to do with AlQueda and wasting all most a TRILLION dollars in the process?