H.R. 1628: American Health Care Act of 2017 bill if you curious.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, May 4, 2017.

1. PracticalMac, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

2. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It will die in the Senate, so this would be a hollow victory if it manages to pass in the House.

4. Zwopple macrumors regular

It dies in the Senate and screws the republicans that voted for it, massive target on their voting record for 2018 midterms.
    --- Post Merged, May 4, 2017 ---
    My fave is the repeal of the 3.9% tax on incomes over $250k/yr but leaving the 0.9% that everyone pays. The rich really do always get the cake.

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

It passed according to Fake Media news flash.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Yep... and they will get what they deserve.
    The Reps have had 7 years to come up with a viable replacement plan... this is not viable.
    I've only skimmed it, and I don't like it. The tax portions are a hot mess with regards to HSA contributions.
    I have an HSA that we use heavily to cover expenses, mainly my daughter's Epi-Pens. Insurance only covers 50% of it... the rest is on me. We have to have 4 sets of pens at all times (set at home, set at school, set at dance, and a set she carries with her when she's not at an of these places). And you have to buy them every year.
    Those things are not cheap (thanks to the greedy twit that took over the company).

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Repeal of the tanning tax??? Seriously??? It's the little things in life that count... :rolleyes:

8. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

(Where is it?)
    Trump's treatments are expensive.

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The real question is why there was one to begin with?
    Do we really need a tax on someone getting a fake tan?

I'm sure Trump probably loves the idea of repealing this tax given his current complexion. :p

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Because the notion was that tanning beds contribute to the rate of cancer, thus they increase health cost. It's the same logic used to tax cigarettes.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Yes - tanning has been linked to skin cancer, so if there is public funding of health care then people who want to do this should pay a little more to cover the potential costs if they do get cancer. Same thing applies to tobacco and alcohol..
    Beat me to it....

13. darksithpro macrumors regular

Headline on CNN: "At last, a victory for Trump" I bet whoever wrote that started crying. Oh, the day CNN actually gave props to Trump.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Too soon to be counting those chickens. The Senate hasn't voted yet. And even if it all does get passed and implemented, a "win" now could really be a loss later on in midterms and 2020.

15. darksithpro macrumors regular

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because it disproportionally drives up skin cancer rates, and therefore treatment....which costs everyone money. The tax was to fund the treatments that result from that practice.

In other words, common sense.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Is Congress exempts from AHCA? Because once again I say - if any member of the senate or house votes yes, they should go on the plan(s) themselves. If they aren't willing to choose the plan they come up with, they have no right passing a bill to make others do it.
    Oh please. Trump doesn't use a facility - he owns his own machines :)

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

For some reason I kept thinking spray tanning. But yes... I agree, tanning beds are dumb.
    I live in AZ... we don't really need tanning beds. I live in sunblock 9 months out of the year.
    They're exempt from ACA, so I don't see what they would not be exempt from this mess.

19. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/4/15547120/ahca-congress-exemption-passes

20. Zenithal macrumors 68040

It'll die in the Senate. Hard core republicans in flyover states are waking up to the fact their state leaders are idiots and cannot be trusted. Which is why these leaders are ignoring town hall meetings because short of being eaten alive, they're constantly attacked by their constituents. ACA sucks for them, it does, but it also keeps them alive instead of being bumped off insurance.

It'll die and they're going to have targets on their backs come the midterms. Expect amazing levels of mental gymnastics from these so-called leaders.

21. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Take more then the loss of HC for most to change positions.

22. Zenithal macrumors 68040

When they start dying they'll care. On the bright side, an increase in the death rate should prove to be a boom for funeral homes and florists.

23. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I wonder if we'll get to a point where other optional lifestyle choices that could harm one's health are taxed. For example an obese person who sits around eating potato chips and drinking Mountain Dew all day.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's a sin tax. I have no problem putting a sin tax on soda as long as the funds go directly into healthcare services.

25. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I think I could get on board with this kind of thing. But I do worry where it could go. If I buy a ladder should I pay a tax because I am more likely to get injured?