H.R.676 - Expanded & Improved Medicare For All Act

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Technarchy, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Corporate insurance does not work. There is nothing to debate here. It just doesn't.

Let's finally get this right. Write your Rep. and force them to support H.R.676 - Expanded & Improved Medicare For All Act.

This is exactly what Donald Trump said he was going to do. Hold him to it.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/676/text

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yes, we need this and everyone needs to pressure their representatives so we can finally get this right. While personally I would like a hybrid system, (a good hybrid system, not something like Obamacare) its obvious the people in Washington aren't interested and this would be the next best thing.

Find you representative here:
    http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Also, add your signature here at this petition.
    http://go.justicedemocrats.com/page/s/take-a-stand

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sounds like a pretty good plan... were going to need to add some pork and mess it up somehow.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sounds good to me – certainly better than what exists currently – but I still think a universal health service is the best option.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Just go to single payer and be done with this whole thing. No matter what plan is enacted, the bottom line remains the same: Healthy, productive people will be footing the bill for under or unemployed NON-healthy people. Sure, some folks get sick through no fault of their own. Take care of them. Fine. But for every one of them there are quite a few more lazy sloths that smoke, dont exercise and eat like crap all the time. They are sick due to THIER decisions. I say they pay more but it'll never happen. Make it financially painful to be a walking Type 2 diabetes machine. WTF?

So, screw it - just cover everyone at whatever cost since the "bill" ends up getting paid by the same people anyways(healthy & productive).

6. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

1. Medicare for all is single-payer
    2. The entire model of health insurance falls apart without ostensibly healthy folks paying in
    3. While lifestyle plays a role certainly, genetics is a larger determinant of health. You often can't control when you get sick.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Some? How about virtually everybody?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2017 ---
    :rolleyes: Thanks for that bit of wisdom.

Who said it was free?

Oh. And don't take any wooden nickels.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do...do you understand how insurance works? Of course people pay for other people, the whole point is the costs are spread amongst as many people as possible to make it cheapest for everyone. There is no reason to means test, healthcare is a human right. You may not agree with that, but everyone else in the civilized world does, so tough nuts.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

"This bill establishes the Medicare for All Program to provide all individuals residing in the United States and U.S. territories with free health care that includes all medically necessary care, such as primary care and prevention, dietary and nutritional therapies, prescription drugs, emergency care, long-term care, mental health services, dental services, and vision care."

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Good god. You can reason, we all know it, so why do you insist on being so damn pedantic? In the USA we use "free" to refer to services that taxes pay for like the highway system. You know this, but insist on just arguing semantics, why is that?

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Call me pedantic when you know others hear free and immediately believe that it is legit free and think they are owed it?

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So let them, who gives a ****. When your taxes go up a few dozen dollars but you aren't paying thousands in private taxes to insurance companies honestly who gives a **** what they think? They're not going to be all that concerned when an ambulance ride doesn't suddenly cost $2000 anymore like it does today.

Do you want a civilized healthcare system, or do you just want to bitch about word choice endlessly? Honest question.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's interesting, because when I click on the OP's link, which takes you to the bill, it doesn't match the text in his quote.

There is no mention of "free health care" in the bill.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th...76/text#toc-H58EB3296ADBC4DE0A1F12FE539149EC4

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah! Good catch, it appears that poster was quoting an article on the bill...yet didn't post the source. Wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

;)

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's nice to agree with you again. Why were we fighting? :(

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm sorry, I really am, but foreign policy really gets me going because I watch it like a hawk. Domestically I think we're on the same page.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

This is why clearly defined words and systems are important. Almost 50% of births are covered under medicaid. How is this sustainable? Eventually we're going to run out of other peoples money. Then what?

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

...We have the money, it's just busy being used to kill people overseas.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I agree with your second part. We're flat broke, beyond broke. Trillions in debt.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's the problem with pregnancy. It's far more likely to target young, poor women than wealthier, old women.

Surprise!

22. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It's never going to happen. If the Democrats like it, no Republican will support it. If the Republicans like it, it will never get a single Democrat vote. In any case, the Freedom Caucus will vote it down if it cost any money.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That's a farce and history shows it. We're not broke, we're just spending in the wrong places. The countries who own our debt would destroy themselves if they were to ever ask for the money back in one fell swoop. So the line that "china owns us" is farcical at best, our economies are too intertwined for money to cause us to fight.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And if we were broke, I'd opt to spend one heck of a lot less on being the world's police and reprioritize to take care of our own citizens at home.

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

No need. The word "Tax" appears in the resolution.

It will never happen as long as there's a "Tax".