H1N1 Flu Shot Poll

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hawkeye411, Oct 28, 2009.

?

Will you be getting the H1N1 Flu Shot

Poll closed Nov 27, 2009.
  1. Yes: I will be getting the H1N1 shot when it is available.

46 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. No: I will not be getting the H1N1 shot.

103 vote(s)
    53.9%
  3. Yes: I have already received the H1N1 flu shot.

17 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Maybe: I have not decided yet.

25 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Will you be getting the H1N1 flu shot?

My family and I will be getting it and I'm wondering what percentage of your guys will be.

Cheers.

2. gfish31 macrumors regular

i saw a youtube video of a wannabe redskins cheerleader who got the shot and became mentally and physically retarded. i'm cool on the swine shot.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Wash your hands after using the water closet, sneezing, coughing, eat well, get enough sleep and you'll be fine. See someone with snot coming out of every orifice, might be wise to steer clear.

5. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

What's the point in getting it? Australia has already had the shot and within the next year we're going to get immune to it anyway, it's just like any other flu! Only really harmful if you're already sick/old/pregnant.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Why is everyone worried about what everyone else is doing pertaining to h1n1?

7. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

sucks.
    already had the flu, wasn't to bad. mucinex is what you gota have.
    your mind isn't cloudy or anything.
    you sure she wasn't already like that?

8. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Because that matters when we're talking about a disease spreading.

P-Worm

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Slows the pace of the infection, it means less people getting sick and will hasten the passing of the flu season.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Haven't we recently had a similar thread to this?
    But no. I won't be getting the injection. I've been around people with swine flu earlier this year throughout their whole sickness and I never caught it. I've never had the flu.

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Absolutely not. It's a bunch of media hype driven by a bad economy and money-hungry corporate drug lords who are trying to maintain their profit margins.

I've got more opinions about it, but that's a start.

12. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Nope. I never do flu shots or anything of that sort.

My immune system seems to be pretty good, and like others have said, just use some common sense and you'll be fine.

My wife also won't be getting the shot. That poor woman's immune system is so weak that the last time she got a regular flu shot it actually gave her the flu. Our doctor has actually recommended her not get anymore flu shots. Heh.

Unfortunately we've become a drug-reliant society (pharmaceutically), so whenever something happens we know we can just take something for it. That's part of the reason why I really like our family practitioner, because he's not the sort that will write a prescription when all you have is the snivvles. He says to drink liquids and get some rest. Old sk00l! ;)

13. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Already Immune.;)
    But wouldn't any way. Could turn me into some mutant killer zombie...

14. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Nope, I've got a pretty good immune system, and given that there's a shortage at the moment, it might as well go to the people who really need it.

15. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I'm just wondering...

Right now I don't plan to get the shot because there aren't that much people contaminated in my area.

But if it becomes worse I will get that shot.

So just a question: why won't you get vaccinated? What are your reasons?

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've never had the flu, or if I have, I don't remember when, meaning it had to be at least 15 years ago, and I hear sometimes taking the vaccine makes you just as sick as if you had the flu. I'll take my chances and pass on it.

17. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

My question is that does the H1N1 flu shot also protects me from a regular flu as well? Or, do I need to get two separate flu shots now?

18. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

There are two separate shots...

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

20. snberk103 macrumors 603

We live in a free society, and so people can choose to receive the flu shot or not....

But, when people are making decisions that could potentially affect the health of those around them and society at large.... it would be nice if they at least used their brains.

My first point is directed at gfish31 specifically, the rest are directed at the rest of the fuzzy thinkers.

1) If the cheerleader came down with GBS (Guillain-Barre Syndrome)... the odds of GBS from the vaccine are 1 in 1 million. In the general population the odds of getting GBS are 1 in one hundred thousand. Since its thought that one of the triggers for GBS is the body's immune response to the flu, you actually increase your chances of getting GBS if you don't get the flu shot. If the cheerleader didn't come down with GBS, then its just coincidence. If I win the lottery today, it doesn't mean that refuting dodgey thinking makes me luckier. Its just means it was coincidence.

2) The H1N1 vaccine is just like any other seasonal flu vaccine, except it is targeted at a particularly wide-spread flu infection. "Pandemic" means that it is more wide-spread than regular flu. By some estimates, it could infect up to 50% of the population. The H1N1 is not particularly more lethal than regular flu, but because it will affect so many more people that in turn means many more people will be seriously affected.

3) Unlike regular flu, H1N1 is most seriously affecting the healthy young and other people with other health issues (diabetes and asthma are the most referred to.) In Chicago, just about two-thirds of the people hospitalized were 19 or less. Most flu seasons its the elderly who are fatally affected. This year it seems it will be the young.

4) Last week in Ontario, 2 healthy young people died of H1N1. It appears their young, healthy, immune systems ended up going into overdrive to attack the virus and then the immune system attacked it own body.

5) Fatalities are rare (though keep in mind in the US in most flu seasons 36,000 people die, most years mostly elderly or the very sick - this year probably more younger people), however - many more people are hospitalized due to H1N1 (about a third have to go into ICU - and those generally are the younger, healthier people).

6) If widespread flu merely increases the hospital load by 10% - - well ask yourself how medical care in your community will be affected if the local hospital is dealing with more people for an entire flu season. How will it impact people with other medical conditions seeking medical help? If you break your leg, and go to an emergency ward full of people in respiratory distress - how long will it take you to get seen?

7) This vaccination program is not being driven by big pharma and government. While the various federal, national, provincial, and state governments may be the lead organizations - it is the public health agencies that are driving this. This includes the doctors and other medical practitioners who are front-line and see effects of both the infections and the vaccinations. Yes, there will be some doctors who are being quoted as saying that they believe the vaccination is useless, or even dangerous. But the vast majority of the medical field - the people who actually deal with patients - believe the vaccination is worthwhile.

8) If you don't get the shot, then please have a plan in case you do get sick to quarantine yourself. I'm not saying that you will get sick - just that if you do you need to be sure that you don't spread your germs around to those people who can be badly affected by the flu. Do you have friends or family on chemo? Other immune compromising conditions? With diabetes? Asthma? etc etc. Try not to infect them.

I should point out that I am not a medical practitioner, but I am married to someone who is immune compromised.

She was a priority, and was able to get her shot the other day. I am on the 2nd tier as a primary care-giver, and still waiting for my turn. If I get the flu not only will I not be able to care for my wife, but who will then care for me? We have friends, so won't be a burden on the public health system - unless I get really sick. But the math is: 1 person gets sick (me) and at least 2 other people have their lives affected (my wife plus the friend who will need to shop and clean for the both of us). Multiply that by the millions of people who choose to not get vaccinated, and get sick....

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

22. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I voted yes, but that's only because my mom is freaking out about it and it will be free at my high school. Me personally though, I see no need for it as it is no worse than the flu if you don't already have something; plus, I know people who have had it, and it can't be near as bad as when I had pneumonia a few years ago.

23. snberk103 macrumors 603

I would respectfully suggest you need a second opinion. By definition, the vaccine cannot replicate. It merely triggers an immune response, but can't make you sick. Your wife is actually in the group most susceptible to being infected. Of course, I also know that there may be other conditions and issues that you don't want to share on the thread. But I do urge you to do some reading to see if your doctor's advice is appropriate in this particular case.
    I actually agree with most of your doctor's advice here.... and that we have become beholden to big pharma for too many things. But I believe that vaccines are the exception. They have saved more lives, and eliminated more misery than just about any other medical advance. Typhoid, Diphtheria, Small pox (eradicated in the wild due to vaccination programs), Chicken pox, Measles, Tetanus, Rubella, Polio, Whooping cough, etc etc. All diseases that we can almost forget about due to vaccinations.

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Great post, snberk103. People don't seem to understand the value of the vaccine and the difference between this flu and the seasonal flu (additionally, your information about GBS was excellent).

The value of the vaccine then comes not on an individual level, but on a population level; I don't particularly care if you get the swine flu, but I do care if you pass it along and it ends up infecting an at-risk individual.

25. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I've taken every vaccine the NHS has ever offered me, this one will be no different. If they're giving it out to your everyday member of the public by the time I go back to the UK in December then I'll set up an appointment.

Then again, I don't believe vaccines are an evil conspiracy :rolleyes: