Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
I'am from Canada and will be going to the US soon. Looking to buy an H2O Sim on Amazon. I have an Unlocked 4S.

Are their SIMs, MicroSIMs? Or will I need to cut to fit?

Im pretty sure Iam just going to use Data as I have Skype and such. When I activate the SIM will it work no problem or will I have to change carrier settings within my 4S?

Another option I was thinking is just a iPad Data Plan from ATT but I won't be letting them know its for my iPhone :)

Any opinions would be great.

tandaman

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't do it man, H2O is a nightmare. Constantly changing their plans and the worst customer service ever. Their data is throttled pretty badly as well. I just ported to Red Pocket and couldn't be happier. I'd check them out, or maybe jolt mobile, before going the H2O route IMHO. http://goredpocket.com

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Don't do it man, H2O is a nightmare. Constantly changing their plans and the worst customer service ever. Their data is throttled pretty badly as well. I just ported to Red Pocket and couldn't be happier. I'd check them out, or maybe jolt mobile, before going the H2O route IMHO.

Great information tandaman :)

Wasn't sure what other GSM pre-paid providers actually ran off of ATT's network but now I know 2 more! Thanks :D

Btw how did you find out about these two? Is there a prepaid website or something that tells you all of the ATT pre-paid providers?

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't do it man, H2O is a nightmare. Constantly changing their plans and the worst customer service ever. Their data is throttled pretty badly as well. I just ported to Red Pocket and couldn't be happier. I'd check them out, or maybe jolt mobile, before going the H2O route IMHO. http://goredpocket.com

But don't you have to play with the carrier settings to use Red Pocket? Or can I slide the SIM in and works with no issues?

Is the Red Pocket a MicroSIM?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay

Stupid question here, does the 4S need to be unlocked to use these carriers? Never heard of them before.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada

How badly is red pockets data throttled and does it actually support HSPA+?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Stupid question here, does the 4S need to be unlocked to use these carriers? Never heard of them before.

Red Pocket and H2O are MVNOs on AT&T, so you can usually use an AT&T phone with them (including an iPhone) - but if the iPhone is a Sprint or Verizon device then that obviously wont apply.

tandaman

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2008
Btw how did you find out about these two? Is there a prepaid website or something that tells you all of the ATT pre-paid providers?

Trial and error mostly. I started with H2O, and had a bad experience like most people do... but I found that Howard Forums was a good resource for info.

But don't you have to play with the carrier settings to use Red Pocket? Or can I slide the SIM in and works with no issues?

With these MVNOs, you don't need to mess with settings except to get the data and MMS to work. Easiest way is to go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ and use their APN changer tool. Its pretty brainless (and it doesn't jailbreak your phone or anything).

Only way I know to get MMS working is if you have an Unlocked iPhone (either jailbroken/unlocked or factory unlocked).

Is the Red Pocket a MicroSIM?

It isn't, at least the one I got off ebay for .99 wasn't. But you can get a sim cutter on ebay for about 5 bucks. Or if you're brave, use an exacto knife.

How badly is red pockets data throttled and does it actually support HSPA+?

I'm not sure about HSPA+. But if it is throttled, its only slightly. As you can see in my attached screenshot, I'm getting pretty good speeds on Red Pocket. On H2O, I actually averaged only .35 down. That's right, 0.35. And one time, I got .01 down using speed test. So.... pretty sure H2O throttles...

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    419.1 KB · Views: 70
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.