Hacker and Virus problems on MacBook Pro. Running on leopard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I'm curious now. Can you please post a screen shot of Kaspersky confirming those viruses?

Because then you would be the first person ever on this planet to get a virus for Mac OS X. And that would be BBC News-worthy.

There are trojans and spyware for Mac OS X though, but you have to install them manually and enter your password to give the malware access to system files and folders.
Have you installed anything lately from a source that might not be reputable or have you handed your password to someone else?

Can you backup your data and re-install the system? And then fortify it with the system firewall and not installing software coming from non-reputable sources?

And are you implying the hackers come from the middle kingdom?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The reason I am being attacked is because of the sensitive subjects that I have to right about for an online news company.
Your "righting" abilities indicates otherwise.

Please explain how the Mac OS is easier to "break into" that Windows. Once we know precisely what your vague claim is all about, we can offer you proper advice.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
No, as the word "virus" was found 0 times, "mac" 2 times, but not as in Mac OS X.
Or shall the link prove something else?

Do you want to do something about it or not?

I gave you some hints what you might wanna do to prevent third party access to your computer and you point me to some local newspaper's mildly informing online presentation.

Mac OS X is hackable though due to some vulnerabilities, but once there are in the open, Apple does something about it, most of the times.

www.salem-news.com
Also being English we spell the word "righting" as in "writing".
That makes no sense at all. I have been born to parents who were both journalists, have a brother that was a journalist, gone to a school were journalism was taught and never came across this "spelling rule". But maybe it is one variant of Bertolt Brecht's distancing effect.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Also being English we spell the word "righting" as in "writing".
Then why did you go back and right your original post? We have all sorts of English people on this forum. I think the term they'd use for this thread is "utter tosh". :rolleyes:

ph0en1x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
I am not arguing over a matter that has nothing to do with the problem that I have listed on here!. Viruses!!!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Please explain the link you posted in post #4. It contains no obvious relevance to the 'issue'.

`Kris

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
UK
Yeah... being English I'm pretty sure it's writing.

Now I didn't go to university so I'm not entirely sure.

Toodle-pip.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Have you ever considered a failing hard drive will take your system 2 days for a deep scan?

I know personally that almost everyone will blame a virus or hacker at the first sign of computer problems.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Most of the access to my computer is password protected. All it takes is a program to record key strokes. So even having password protected access is hardly going to make any difference.
But a keylogger has to be installed, although that might work from another user account on the same computer. And the account has to be running I think.

Do you think I should address this issue directly to Apple headquarters as well, if this is the case, is there an address I can contact them through that specializes in this subject.
http://www.apple.com/support/security/

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Have you ever considered a failing hard drive will take your system 2 days for a deep scan?

I know personally that almost everyone will blame a virus or hacker at the first sign of computer problems.
I think this might be the first case where the Israelis are specifically blamed for a potentially failing disk, though. :D

enberg

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
Also by doing my research I discovered that the Mac operating system is actually more easy to break in to than "WINDOWS"!!!?. So now that has got me all paranoid.
Not really, but the average Mac user is just as ignorant about security as windows users.

`Kris

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
UK
I think this might be the first case where the Israelis are specifically blamed for a potentially failing disk, though. :D
Possibly, although the left earphone for my iPod isn't working any more, I think it might be the Israelis too.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
...but in order for a keylogger to work you would need to give it your password, then it could keylog your password again.

In all honesty, you (the topic starter) are overly, overly paranoid, and we can't help you because you're not answering our questions in a helpful manner.

On that note ayeying has a valid point. Something freakish happen to your computer that you don't understand? Blame a hacker or a virus. For this trope we have Bollywood to thank. Chickens die on you in strange ways which you don't understand? Blame the old lady, she might be a witch!

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Do you think I should address this issue directly to Apple headquarters as well, if this is the case, is there an address I can contact them through that specializes in this subject.
Yes, please do send this to Apple's headquarters
Let them know the Israelis are hacking into your computer and endangering national security

And be sure to post your letter here for us to read

Woof, Woof - Dawg

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
Rolls eyes. There is always some one that decides to randomly attack people on the basis of what country they are from. I think we are missing the point here of what the basis of this subject is here, that we are discussing?!... Viruses and Hacker issues. I have been involved in Photo Journalism for 13 years. If you have any issues about the Credibility on that, I suggest you start that fight else where, not on a thread that has nothing to do with this matter.
You, sir, are a blowhard, and I mean that in the nicest way possible; I don't see what this has to do with the topic at hand.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Rolls eyes. There is always some one that decides to randomly attack people on the basis of what country they are from. I think we are missing the point here of what the basis of this subject is here, that we are discussing?!... Viruses and Hacker issues.
We're waiting for that screen shot of your Mac's specific viruses, Mr. Photo Journalist. :rolleyes:

Or maybe some specificity to the general claim soup you barfed all over your original post? If you don't remember, the link you provided was to the front page of a local Oregon newspaper, having nothing to do with your claims.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Rolls eyes. There is always some one that decides to randomly attack people on the basis of what country they are from. I think we are missing the point here of what the basis of this subject is here, that we are discussing?!... Viruses and Hacker issues. I have been involved in Photo Journalism for 13 years. If you have any issues about the Credibility on that, I suggest you start that fight else where, not on a thread that has nothing to do with this matter.
But you don't give us any more information.

For example what Mac and what OS do you use, what network environment are you working in, what kind of account do you have, what .... .

And that screenshot or at least the name of the alleged virus would be something.

Now all this thread seems to be about something you don't want it to be.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi everyone

I am having a slight issue with a Hacker or Hackers on my Mac. I have used iantivirus ...
There's your first problem. iAntiVirus is bogus:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7174192&postcount=15
...and virusbarrier X5 to prevent Viruses coming in to my mac (and yes Macs can have virus issues).
That is completely false. There is not one virus in existence that runs on current Mac OS X. Not one. Yes, there are trojans that you must install yourself, but not a single virus.
...Now this software took "TWO" days to do a deep search on my computer, and found three viruses, and two malicious (Hacker) programs.
If it found a virus, it was a Windows virus that can't run on your Mac, since NO virus runs on Mac OS X and would have absolutely zero effect on your system performance.
Also by doing my research I discovered that the Mac operating system is actually more easy to break in to than "WINDOWS"!!!?. So now that has got me all paranoid.
Have any actual facts to back up your claim?
The reason I am being attacked is because of the sensitive subjects that I have to write about for an online news company.
As this thread is your first post in this forum, it leads me to wonder if you write pro-Windows and anti-Mac articles. You have offered not one single shred of evidence to back up any of your claims.

Name the "viruses" and "malicious hacker programs" that you found. Name one virus that runs on Mac OS X. Show some documentation. All you offer is another "OMG!!! MY MAC HAS A VIRUS!!" scare that has no facts to support it. We see dozens of these threads, frequently started by someone who has never posted in this forum before. I don't believe a single thing you've said.

Status
Not open for further replies.