Hackers releasing our government official's private emails is good for democracy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Sep 16, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Politicians should live in constant fear that anything and everything they say or do could end up on the Internet for every citizen to see. I look forward to even more leaks.

It's the ultimate in transparency.

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The most recent victim of Russian government hackers was Colin Powell. At the time he wrote the e-mails that were hacked and released, he was retired from Government.

Does your blanket endorsement on illegal theft and invasion of privacy extend to former politicians too?

Many of the e-mails hacked from the DNC were written by humble staffers. Legal aides and fundraisers. Event planners. People who have never run for or held elected or appointed office. Does your endorsement extend to people who merely work for a political party?

How about the e-mail of low-level local politicians? People running for school board or city councilman. Are they too subject to free-fire attack from Vladimir Putin's goons?

Where does Donald Trump fit into this? He's never been elected to anything. Never served a day in his life in any sort of Government role. Is his e-mail subject to ransacking with your blessing? How about Donald Trump's children. His wife. Do these people fit your definition of "politician", and therefore hackable. Or something else, and therefore exempt?

We expect a certain level of disclosure from our Government leaders in the interests of preventing conflicts of interest, and in evaluating their overall fitness to serve. But private e-mail (and other communications) should remain private. No matter who is sending or receiving it.

Accepting (let alone endorsing) anything else diminishes us as citizens. And it will inevitably diminish the work and work product of those who serve in our Government.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

What do Trump and Putin have to do with any of this?

To answer your question: yes. Every federal official's email sent from or to a government domain (excluding SIPR, JWICS, and NSAnet) should be viewable to any American citizen. In fact, as soon as a government official hits the send button a copy of the email should be replicated on publicly accessible database.

I would like to see this policy effected at the state and local level as well. Full transparency would make hacking redundant.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

I disagree. I think that's way overboard on transparency. Regardless - it would never happen. Forget about whether or not liberals would agree to it - you'll never get the right to agree. Do you really think they want their emails exposed?

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

You're correct that it will never actually happen. Besides the fact that neither side would permit it, it's probably unconstitutional.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

spade is a spade so YES, if they did something WRONG they should PAY for it with jail , why are things so hard for you guys to get? you shoot the messenger who tells you that your spouse is cheating instead of taking things up with the spouse, seriously

7. zin macrumors 6502

Putin said his government wasn't behind the hacks. Hillary Clinton says otherwise.

Tough choice on who to believe.

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think there needs to be some level of security for our government to communicate securely. There are channels like the FOIA to get some of the communication.

The alternate option is for communication politicians don't want recorded to occur in person or over the phone or outside of government email (which lead to the whole Hillary issue in the first place).

I'm sure that already happens and will continue to happen, moreso infact.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Who did what that is wrong?

What did Colin Powell do wrong? He had a dim view of Hillary Clinton. He expressed an even lower opinion of Donald Trump. In a private e-mail he sent to a friend or staffer.

Understand this very clearly: Vladimir Putin is behind all this hacking. Vladimir Putin, the dictator of failing petro-state/kleptocracy Russia. The same guy who regularly has political opponents murdered; jailed, or exiled. Who controls all of Russia's broadcast and print media. Who has an army of paid trolls infiltrating not just Russia's internet, but Western social media as well. I, quite frankly, wouldn't be shocked to find some of them among the people who post here.

Private communications, whether telephone, letter, or e-mail are private. The only exception to that would be via a properly executed warrant in the course of a legitimate law enforcement investigation. A warrant issued when there is probable cause that wrongdoing or a crime has taken place.

I'd rather deal with a thousand Rod Blagojevichs than a single Vladimir Putin.

10. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

It doesn’t matter what Killary says, her repetitious lies shouting “Putin!” are just to cover for her and the DNC’s criminality and corruption. But if Putin was leading this to demolish Her and the DNC, you would have to think: Why? One reason that is logical, is that Putin and Russia are aware how evil Killary truly is; they know she has the neocons supporting her and that she is a neocon herself, and that she is a threat to humanity—not just to Russia and forcing confrontation, but a real threat to Americans. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Russia is involved in this, and if they are, because they’re destroying Her and DNC, I say: GOOD. If Russia is involved, they’re trying to lessen the chance of World War 3. They’re trying to protect themselves and Americans. Hillary should already be in ADX Florence for the rest of her life, with other terrorists and traitors. Worst 2016 candidate by far, worse than multiple Trumps.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

whom ever was exposed for whatever crimes they did, you yap about Putin overlooking our GOVT's faults.

12. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

What's great is even if Putin is behind this hes literally doing the West a favor.

13. Plutonius, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

In the original article, I like how Lindsey Graham said he had never been hacked since he never sent out an email.

My opinion only but I think someone who has never used email should not be in congress.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    Nothing so benign. It's all nationalism from the Russians. Russia dislikes the US and current administration and wants world leaders to fear Russian hackers. If Trump is elected, expect Russia to start leaking hacks on Trump.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It is fairly likely the Russian government is behind the hacking, just as it is for the atheletes being hacked.
    How?

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

16. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

By exposing the inner workings of our government officials and their wealthy friends (and the benefits they receive).

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What have we learnt that's illegal or particularly immoral?

18. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Well there's the whole DNC election scandal to start with. Chelsea Manning. Plenty of other stuff.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

How do you define "wealthy"?

How much money do you have to have before it is considered OK to reveal and publish your private communications with Government officials?

What if I e-mail my Congressman to ask him to look into illegal toxic waste dumping by my employer? Is it OK for Russian spies to hack into my Congressman's e-mail account, and post that on Wikileaks? Subjecting me to harassment and loss of my job? Is that OK in your mind?

Because that's pretty much what's already happened in some of the hacking cases. People who had contacted their Government to ask for help in Turkey had their personal information published.

20. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Well, it's kind of relative. So for example somebody with 10mm+ or something would be wealthy to me. But in the context of this discussion I'd define wealthy as anybody who can donate the average annual salary of an American citizen or more to a political campaign.

I think that all of these communications should be public record. No reason not to be.

Hyperbole.

Sometimes people get caught in the crossfire. Sucks. I'm not a fan of it.

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I disagree. Lots of secret information is sent on SIPRNET. Stuff you can't have exposed to the American public. Codes, keys, etc is sent on these networks. I work a lot with the Navy. That being said, people authorized to use these networks know not to use it for personal business or personal communications. These networks are closely monitored. If some LPO uses SIPR to sent private emails his chief will learn about it in 5 minutes and kick is butt.

Politicians do need to fear the population, and they don't. The population fears the politicians, and that's wrong. We are all one mistake away from losing our jobs or prison, yet these politicians can pretty much do anything without fear of punishment. Pig Hillary should be in prison. There are no "ifs" "ands" or "buts" about it.
    There are excellent security protocols in place. When the system is used correctly it's virtually flawless. The issues occur when the system is misused.

22. jerwin macrumors 65816

THIS!

Alexander Dugin, a man who has Putin's ear.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have to wonder how good a password Colin used. I bet it wasn't 30 characters.

24. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Fv(k_d1cK€heNEy

Edit: I just ran that through Wolfram Alpha and would take 9.36 quadrillion years to crack, so that actually would've been a good password. Unless, of course, he had it written down on a yellow sticky under his keyboard.

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I just realized something. I'm not a jerk

Hackers breaking into, stealing, and releasing the private e-mail communication of anybody is ultimately disastrous for a civil society.

People who claim otherwise simply haven't thought the whole process through. Really.