Hackintosh Help (I have a unused copy of OS X)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dmac77, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Hi,

I want to make a hackintosh out of my Sony VAIO VGN FS 760/w and I really don't know where to start. I have a unused and valid copy of tiger, and yes I know that it won't work out of the box. Can anyone help me with this project?

The specs of the VAIO are:

1.86GHz Pentium M processor
    Intel 915PM Motherboard 533 MHz Bus
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 6400 w/ 128MB of VRAM
    1 GB of RAM
    Dual Layer DVD +/- RW
    100GB Ultra ATA HDD 4,200 RPM

Could I run Tiger on this? Or even Leopard (if I can, I'll go and get a Leopard DVD).

Thanks,

Don

@Mods- I understand if this needs to be deleted, but I ask that you don't because I have a valid unused Tiger disk.

2. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

There are no retail copies of Tiger with Intel capability, you have to get a prepatched ISO. The JaS 10.4.8 release is the best for Tiger, it was made in 2006 so it supports most older computers.

3. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

As long as your processor supports SSE2/SSE3 you shouldn't have too much of a problem. The trickiest things to get working are Accelerated Graphics and Sound.:apple:

4. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

How can I check if the VAIO supports SSE2/SSE3? And I wouldn't have a problem going back to XP:eek::( If I had to right? It wouldn't screw up any of the hard ware components (IE screw with motherboard, fan settings, etc.)?

Thanks,

Don

PS

Would I have issues updating software, would I have to use special hacked updates (IE 10.4.10-10.4.11)?

5. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

You will not mess up any other hard ware by installing a hackintosh version of OSx86. I know cause I have one of my HD's with OSx86 on my gaming PC and when I boot into my window drives everything works ok.

Since you have a Pentim M 1.86 that means your chip is an Intel 750 version number it does not support SSE3 but it does support SSE2.

And finally, yes, you can only update the OSX with other versions of the hackintosh OSx86. You can however update every other software via software updates, just not the OS itself.

6. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Try CPU-Z. It should tell you whether your computer supports SSE3 or not. The updates that come out through the "Software Update" application will not work and you have to get patched versions of updates. If you had a Core2 processor some people in the OS X x86 community have been able to emulate EFI and let you run vanilla installs of OS X on the computer. They are then recognized as Mac Pros.

7. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So I can't run a vanilla install. Are the updates easy to find?

Don

8. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

OK, I just ran CPU-Z, and it says that my VAIO supports MMX, SSE, and SSE2. Can I still run OS X on it? I probably won't be able to run Leopard right?

Thanks!

Don

9. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

You should be able to run Tiger on it at least. However you can't run any PPC/Rosetta applications with out SSE3.
    Insanely Mac is a good place for Hackintosh information like updates and compatible hardware.

10. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Thank you! I'll pop over there.

Don

11. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac