Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redwings13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Hey guys, i had my iphone4 jailbroken with jailbreakme.com. all of a sudden i started loosing battery faster. not to fast but it was quite noticeable. i could be texting and see the percent go down 1 or 2% while using it. it still seems to last awhile but it was so strange. Anyways. I restored the phone from a backup. i still am having the same battery problem. should i restore as a new phone? I just tried to downgrade to 4.0.1 again to use jailbreak me. i got errors through itunes 3014 and 3194. I did not get those when i downgraded the first time.
Anyone know what to do for both of these issues?
thanks in advance

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Apple uses SHSH security check when restoring. They do it so you can only restore to whichever firmware they allow, currently only 4.1. If you have saved the SHSH files when Apple was still sending them out, you can trick itunes into allowing you to restore to that firmware. Thus, if you want to restore to 4.0.1, you need to have saved 4.0.1 SHSH files back then. Thus, the question, did you saved them?

redwings13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
no i din't. do you know when jailbreak me will have 4.1 jailbreak available?

ichiban06

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
ok sorry im new here and to all of this stuff. Is limera1n like jailbreakme? and can it screw your phone up in anyway?

There's always a risk but most of the time its recoverable.

download it http://www.limera1n.com for Windows, Connect your iPhone to your PC via USB then launch Limera1n and hit “make it ra1n” and then follow the on screen instructions.

redwings13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
There's always a risk but most of the time its recoverable.

download it http://www.limera1n.com for Windows, Connect your iPhone to your PC via USB then launch Limera1n and hit “make it ra1n” and then follow the on screen instructions.

does it do the same thing as jailbreakme.com would? like get cydia and stuff? sorry i probably sound like a retard. And if it does screw something up. will restoring it work?

ichiban06

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
does it do the same thing as jailbreakme.com would? like get cydia and stuff? sorry i probably sound like a retard. And if it does screw something up. will restoring it work?

After the JB a Teardrop Icon will appear in your springboard, you use it to install Cydia.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
@redwings13

Have you taken a moment to read about ANY other thread on the first page of the iPhone Hacks seciton on Macrumors in the past 48 hours? Go ahead, take a look. It looks something like this:

limera1n!!!
blah blah limera1n blah blah
greenp0ison blah!
limera1n vs greenp0ison
OMGWTFBBQ MY BFF jill.... limera1n
etc.

Sorry to be mean, but as someone who is new to the "jailbreaking" thing, the best thing you can do for yourself is do some forum lurking and read about what's out there.

redwings13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
@redwings13

Have you taken a moment to read about ANY other thread on the first page of the iPhone Hacks seciton on Macrumors in the past 48 hours? Go ahead, take a look. It looks something like this:

limera1n!!!
blah blah limera1n blah blah
greenp0ison blah!
limera1n vs greenp0ison
OMGWTFBBQ MY BFF jill.... limera1n
etc.

Sorry to be mean, but as someone who is new to the "jailbreaking" thing, the best thing you can do for yourself is do some forum lurking and read about what's out there.

yea i did, i read everyone of them actually. i dont understand what the difference is? and why everyone is complaining about limera1n saying its stupid.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Glad you're making the effort, it just didn't seem like it since you seemed unaware of anything since the 4.0/4.0.1 jailbreakme.com jailbreak.

As far as the limera1n controversy goes:

Basically, The Chronic Dev Team set a release for their 4.1 jailbreak "greenp0ison" for today (10/10/10) at 10am GMT, shortly after they announced this, geohot claimed that he was going to release his limera1n jailbreak (which uses a different exploit). This would "burn" 2 different exploits (by bringing them to Apple's attention). Now geohot (author of the limera1n exploit) has a bit of a reputation for being both egotistical and releasing buggy jailbreaks. The Chronic Dev Team has said that they will retool greenp0ison to use the same exploit as limera1n to avoid burning an extra exploit.

There's a few tricky spots in all of this though:
1. greenp0ison will only jb devices with an A4 processor (iPad, iPhone 4, iPod touch 4th gen, Apple TV 2)
2. No one is certain of exactly WHEN if ever that geohot knew this and decided to wait and upstage instead of playing ball and sharing his exploit with the CDT.
3. As of now, no Mac version of limera1n exists. It's possible to use bootcamp or a Windows PC to run limera1n, but it's left a few Mac users a bit unhappy (myself included)

Personally, I think I may wait a bit longer and see if greenp0ison comes out with the new exploit any time soon. You're free to use limera1n (as your need seems to be more urgent), but be warned that there are a few (relatively minor) known bugs being worked out, and geohot has a reputation for releasing some buggy stuff in the past (blackra1n).

I think that pretty much summarizes the whole goings on.

redwings13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Glad you're making the effort, it just didn't seem like it since you seemed unaware of anything since the 4.0/4.0.1 jailbreakme.com jailbreak.

As far as the limera1n controversy goes:

Basically, The Chronic Dev Team set a release for their 4.1 jailbreak "greenp0ison" for today (10/10/10) at 10am GMT, shortly after they announced this, geohot claimed that he was going to release his limera1n jailbreak (which uses a different exploit). This would "burn" 2 different exploits (by bringing them to Apple's attention). Now geohot (author of the limera1n exploit) has a bit of a reputation for being both egotistical and releasing buggy jailbreaks. The Chronic Dev Team has said that they will retool greenp0ison to use the same exploit as limera1n to avoid burning an extra exploit.

There's a few tricky spots in all of this though:
1. greenp0ison will only jb devices with an A4 processor (iPad, iPhone 4, iPod touch 4th gen, Apple TV 2)
2. No one is certain of exactly WHEN if ever that geohot knew this and decided to wait and upstage instead of playing ball and sharing his exploit with the CDT.
3. As of now, no Mac version of limera1n exists. It's possible to use bootcamp or a Windows PC to run limera1n, but it's left a few Mac users a bit unhappy (myself included)

Personally, I think I may wait a bit longer and see if greenp0ison comes out with the new exploit any time soon. You're free to use limera1n (as your need seems to be more urgent), but be warned that there are a few (relatively minor) known bugs being worked out, and geohot has a reputation for releasing some buggy stuff in the past (blackra1n).

I think that pretty much summarizes the whole goings on.

thank you for taking the time to summ that up! well im waiting to let my iphone 4 go completely dead then to charge it to see if that takes care of the wierd battery issues. Then i will use Limera1n. So basically the people who are upset are mac users?

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
thank you for taking the time to summ that up! well im waiting to let my iphone 4 go completely dead then to charge it to see if that takes care of the wierd battery issues. Then i will use Limera1n. So basically the people who are upset are mac users?

Well, most of them probably are. And then there are people who get caught up in the "ethics" of the whole drama, and people who want thoroughly tested jailbreak tools instead of the 7 or 8 beta releases that geohot is known for that tend to have a few bugs left in them. From what I've been reading on the forums here limera1n seems to be working just fine for most, but I personally will be waiting a bit longer to see if they can release greenp0ison with the limera1n exploit in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.