had no wait for iphone 5. Is mine not popular?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jayohwhy, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Jayohwhy macrumors newbie

Last wed, just a few days after launch, I decided that I did want to trade in my iphone 4s 64 for an iphone 5.

I searched radioshack.com and it told me that a store not too far away had the one i wanted in stock. (64 gig white verizon)

the same day, i drove down and had it in my hands.

I'm supposing that the model that I wanted is not as popular as lets say black, 32 gig, at&t, and that's why it was somewhat easy for me?

2. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Perhaps, but probably more in line to being at the right place at the right time.

3. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

According to an Apple employee, 64GB is definitely not as popular compare to the other 2 sizes. He told me 16GB white AT&T is the most popular. They are gone as soon as they come in.

4. irod87 macrumors regular

I got lucky and got mine on launch day from Radioshack no reservation or preorder. People just don't go there first, making it a good place to look.

5. troy14 macrumors 6502a

You aren't by any chance in the metro detroit area are you?

6. twinsmom macrumors newbie

I am SO jealous. I ordered a 64GB White from Verizon on 9/21 and don't expect it for another 3 weeks. I have been looking at Apple every night and they don't have it. I looked at Radio Shack, but the 64 White doesn't even come up as an option for me.

7. maverick22 macrumors 6502

How do you search local radioshacks on their site. I just see a ton of info on iphone 5. Don't see a way to see inventory at local shops though.

8. Jayohwhy thread starter macrumors newbie

No, sorry. I live in socal

9. Jayohwhy thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to radioshack.com and searched for verizon white iphone and clicked on the 64 gig model. Then i clicked something like "in store pickup" and searched by zip code. I called the store that popped up and they held it for me until end of day.

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Lots of people - thousands and thousands were able to walk in and get the phone they wanted. Most of them took their phone and went home.

Those not getting their phones are here carrying on like life is about to end.

11. maverick22 macrumors 6502

Hmmm they may have taken that option down now for the 5. You can do that for all of the other iphones except 5 it looks like. Unless I'm just completely missing something.

Update: I see now. Gotcha--good to know!

12. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I had a very similar experience. I was on out of the country on launch day. I came back about four days after launch and used milo.com to check radioshack inventory nearby. The "Radio Shack" it found was actually a Target Mobile (which I found out through this experience is owned by Radio Shack), but they had two 16gb iPhone 5s in stock that I went and picked up the day I got back. No pre-order, no wait, no lines. Target/Radio Shack just aren't the first places people think to go for new phones.

13. maverick22 macrumors 6502

I keep checking milo, but the best I usually find is "call for price" or "call for stock" or something. I think it's probably referring to the display units. So did milo actually show you green/"in stock"?

14. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

It sort of kept switching between green and call for stock. Depended on whether I used the iPhone app (call for stock mostly) or the website (showed in stock). I called two stores to verify once I found them showing in stock on the website. One store said they just sold out, the other confirmed they had two in stock. Both "Radio Shacks" I called that were listed on Milo actually turned out to be Targets.

15. Ripcurlsurfin96 macrumors member

I think people just dont think to check Radio shack. I called last Wednesday and 2 stores about 5-10mi from my house didnt have any and laughed when I asked. I called one about 20 minutes away and they had 2 in stock. They even held one for me till I got off work.

Now I cant say that the activation went smooth and they ended up locking the sim-card on accident to my second line and I had to personally call VZW to unlock it (waited till 7am EST).

But yes they sporadically have them across their stores... Just have to call around

16. erio macrumors member

17. petes67bird macrumors newbie

Gotta remember 64 is more than the average consumer will utilize. I dont ever need more than 16 because of cloud services so it doesnt make sense to pay so much more up front. Good job. I found mine, a white 16gb Iphone 5 in a little best buy kiosk in the mall. She said she had over 20 and only sold 5 since release. I guess noone though bout the kiosks.