Had the iPad, sold the iPad, want the iPad back!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kevinhirsh, Dec 3, 2010.

1. kevinhirsh, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2010

kevinhirsh macrumors member

I had originally purchased the iPad 16GB WIFI model before owning an iPhone. While I LOVED the iPad, I realized that I needed the 3G capabilities. Fast forward about two months and I finally decide to purchase my first iPhone; the iPhone 4. At that point I could not justify having an iPad now that I had the iPhone. So I decided to sell it. It has been about 5 months and I miss my iPad and want it back. I am contemplating purchasing now or waiting for the iPad 2. Has anyone shared a similar story of buying, selling, and regretting it?

Thanks,

Kevin

2. Apple..., Dec 3, 2010

Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Nope. iPad 2. Just my $0.02. :cool:

3. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

4. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Not worth the wait

I would just buy the thing right now. Three reasons:

1) Who wants to wait an indefinite amount of time? You're on Steve Jobs's schedule, which means you'll probably have to wait months for the thing just to get announced, then another few weeks/months for it to go on sale. Too much waiting. Play that game, and you'll always be waiting for the next big thing.

2) There aren't going to be any major improvements, as far as I know. Cameras probably, but as you say you have an iPhone 4, there's no real point. The camera on that is great and just as portable, and you can already Facetime on it if you want to. Personally, I don't videochat much, if at all, myself. A bigger memory option, perhaps (for more money) and probably a speed boost. There is some clamoring that there may be a USB port on the iPad 2, but I don't see a terribly large benefit in that. Even if you could plug things in, there would be virtually no peripherals that would work with it. Has everyone forgotten that you can buy the Camera Connection Kit? That takes care of your camera needs. Nothing else would really work with the iPad. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them, but I can't think of any. Perhaps if there were to be some major, groundbreaking update such as a new form factor (too soon) or a retina display (technologically not possible right now), which aren't going to happen, despite what some people say. These people are deluding themselves, or don't know what they're talking about.

3) It's an iPad. Who wants to wait? With the new iOS 4.2, it's going to be even better than it was when you had your last one. Multitasking adds a whole new element to iPad. If it does everything you want/need it too, there's no real reason to wait.

BTW - does anyone else have trouble with this? I flip my magic mouse around absentmindedly while I'm typing, and when I go to grab it again, it's facing the wrong way, so my mouse goes in the wrong direction. I feel like an idiot.

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I don't think Apple will announce it and release it three weeks later... that would be stupid. It would cut out lots of sales of the original iPad. I highly doubt that. Think April - the day they announce it, the day it comes out.

6. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I had the iPad, sold it for the MBA! Then sold the MBA and went back to the iPad.PS have 584.00 on a gift card waiting for ipad2 ;)

7. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

iPad 2 most likely will have a camera, faster processor, cheaper, thinner, and USB port

but after that, nothing much...

Your choice if you want to wait...:rolleyes:

8. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

I dont know bout a usb port....

9. mike457 macrumors 6502

I doubt the USB port as well. As one sensible writer pointed out, USB devices take device drivers, and the iOS doesn't do device drivers. Besides, Steve's ideal computer would probably be the magic mouse with a touch screen :)

10. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Judging by Europe's standard of a universal USB mini port law.... or whatever they call it.... for mobile devices..

I won't be surprised if apple starts incorporating it to all devices next year.

That's what I think.

11. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Good point.

12. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Cheaper ?????

13. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

I can put my money where my mouth is. Mine was ripped off in late November. I re-purchased. No regrets. I figured it would be 4-6 months before new ones were out and I'd probably wait to IP3 to update. I use my Ipad every day for work and pleasure.

14. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Wait for iPad 2. Time flies incredibly fast, and before you know it, it'll be announced. You'll be glad you did.

15. JAG77 macrumors member

I also had an iPad but decided to get rid of it. Heck, I didn't even pay for it (it was a gift) and i felt guilty having both the iphone 4 and the ipad 16gb 3G. I just didn't see a point..

If it gets thinner and gets the two cameras as well as an updated home screen (widgets..??) then I will probably get it when I sell this macbook. Going to be starting my engineering job soon so I think it would suit well being able to display all the PDFs of the drawings and stuff. It's definitely a slick device to have, but if it doesn't cut it for me then I have no problems selling it again..

16. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Just a guess, but I think the camera thing depends on your age. Im 36, I dont do video chat, seems kinda rediculous to me. Also, cant see using the ipad as any kind of camera, way to big and unwieldly for that. But then, i see people that aint old like me wanting that stuff.

17. thankins, Dec 3, 2010

thankins macrumors 6502

HAHA I have been there too - I am on my 4th Ipad. Have sold the past 3 only to regret it and then a few weeks later I am apple getting another one.

I would say go get one if you can afford it - no need to wait. Live for now...

18. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

You've already gone 5 months without the iPad. Wait for the iPad 2 and enjoy your iPhone 4 in the meantime.

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If the iPad follows the iPhone and iPod annual refreshes, the next ipad version will be released in April 2011 so I'd wait ( or find a cheap used one ) and sell when the new ones come out.

Cheers,

20. andyroochoo macrumors member

no ones asked you to read the thread or even comment on it,
    just walk on by dude.

i would imagine that if the op commented on a thread from 6 months ago people would start complaining about it. (as frequently happens in forums)

To COMMENT on the above thread, i thought about selling my iPad and getting the 3g version but bought a mifi instead, yes you have to charge another battery but the data is WAY cheaper that iPad micro sim plans. :)

21. tc3jg macrumors member

ALL the time ...on my 27incher

22. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Will you be starting this cycle again when the new iPad is out?

23. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I say the money would be better invested on a few therapy sessions.

24. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Yep sell the old one and stash the cash

25. slothrob macrumors 6502

I'm 50. I don't take a lot of snapshots for pleasure anymore, despite being a photographer in my youth, but I often need to take a quick picture for documentation or explanation, particularly for my work. Often these need to be quickly sent off in an email or posted to the web. I don't use a smart phone.

Being able to just point the iPad at something, take a quick picture and send it right off without digging out the camera, finding a cable, and downloading the picture to the PC could be a real time saver for me.