Hal Martin keeps classified info at his home and goes to jail... Hillary runs for POTUS?

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
How can the government put Hal Martin in jail (this guy has no chance) meanwhile allow Hillary to run for POTUS for doing the exact same thing?

A contractor for the National Security Agency has been arrested on charges that he illegally removed highly classified information and stored the material in his house and car, federal prosecutors announced Wednesday.

Harold Thomas Martin III, 51, of Glen Burnie, Md., was arrested by the FBI in August after authorities say he admitted to having taken government secrets. A defence attorney said Martin did not intend to betray his country.

The New York Times said Martin worked for Booz Allen Hamilton, the same consulting firm that employed Edward Snowden when he revealed the collection of metadata by the National Security Agency.

Among the classified documents found with Martin, according to the Justice Department, were six that contain sensitive intelligence — meaning they were produced through sensitive government sources or methods that are critical to national security — and date back to 2014. All the documents were clearly marked as classified information, according to a criminal complaint.

Reactions: ucfgrad93

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
man this horse has run away lived a long life turned into glue and used in a a piece of Chinese made furniture for a trump hotel.

Reactions: LizKat

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
this from renz

----------------

Because...

Hillary Clinton, as Secretary of State, was allowed access to view and store classified materials, she even had the authority to classify or declassify materials that originated from her department. It's a part of her job description.

The whole issue has nothing to do with her handling classified information, it's that she was doing so through unvetted channels. Her private server wasn't ever given the stamp of approval from the State Department. If it were, we wouldn't be having this discussion now. But since it wasn't, that makes it a breach of protocol, not a criminal matter.

---------------------
[doublepost=1476850920][/doublepost]
How can the government put Hal Martin in jail (this guy has no chance) meanwhile allow Hillary to run for POTUS for doing the exact same thing?
If he didn't mean to do it he should walk free

Last edited:

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Yep the solution here is to just apologize to America sincerely, because we're super nice that way.

Dear America,

I quote Hillary Clinton, our possibly future presidential stooge. It was a mistake and I take full responsibility.

Reactions: webbuzz and jkcerda

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
this from renz

----------------

Because...

Hillary Clinton, as Secretary of State, was allowed access to view and store classified materials, she even had the authority to classify or declassify materials that originated from her department. It's a part of her job description.

The whole issue has nothing to do with her handling classified information, it's that she was doing so through unvetted channels. Her private server wasn't ever given the stamp of approval from the State Department. If it were, we wouldn't be having this discussion now. But since it wasn't, that makes it a breach of protocol, not a criminal matter.

---------------------
Actually the whole point of the criminal investigation was about her mishandling of classified information. The FBI Director said there was evidence of this, but there wasn't evidence of intent. This guy is using the same excuse as her and his story ended quite differently.

Reactions: tgara

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
All I know if I started using my personal email for work containing HIPAA sensitive patient information, I'd be fired, sued, and fined from a minimum of $100 per incident up to a minimum of $50,000 depending on the classification of the degree of the violation up to I believe $1.5m total per year. I'd also likely face punishment from the licensing board.
  • Category 1: A violation that the CE was unaware of and could not have realistically avoided, had a reasonable amount of care had been taken to abide by HIPAA Rules (fine $100-50,000)
  • Category 2: A violation that the CE should have been aware of but could not have avoided even with a reasonable amount of care. (but falling short of willful neglect of HIPAA Rules) (fine $1,000-$50,000)
  • Category 3: A violation suffered as a direct result of “willful neglect” of HIPAA Rules, in cases where an attempt has been made to correct the violation (fine $10,000-$50,000)
  • Category 4: A violation of HIPAA Rules constituting willful neglect, where no attempt has been made to correct the violation (min fine $50,000+)
There can also be criminal consequences too for HIPPA violations. BTW last year there nearly $40,000,000.00 was spent on HIPAA fines.

Where would Hillary fall under healthcare privacy standards? I know a guy who lost his job in the Air Force for texting with his cell phone in a restricted area. I know nurses who have been fired for taking pictures of inhuries that don't even include the patients face and posting them online.

Now just because no important information leaked out (that we know of) in my opinion doesn't absolve her of her "mistake" (aka negligence). It's like someone getting a DUI and saying just because they didn't crash the car then they shouldn't be arrested.

It's one thing to admit your mistake and accept the gravity of the situation. It's another thing to admit your mistakes and cover all your tracks, tie up your lose ends, sidestep questions, and not convolute the issue. She knows what she did was wrong, but the condradictory statements doesn't exacty promote trust.

So speaking of Equality and Justice Hillary, how are your negligent actions addressed the same way for nearly any other person in the US handling some sort of confidential information?

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
North Country (way upstate NY)
All I know if I started using my personal email for work containing HIPAA sensitive patient information, I'd be fired, sued, and fined from a minimum of $100 per incident up to a minimum of $50,000 depending on the classification of the degree of the violation up to I believe $1.5m total per year. I'd also likely face punishment from the licensing board.
  • Category 1: A violation that the CE was unaware of and could not have realistically avoided, had a reasonable amount of care had been taken to abide by HIPAA Rules (fine $100-50,000)
  • Category 2: A violation that the CE should have been aware of but could not have avoided even with a reasonable amount of care. (but falling short of willful neglect of HIPAA Rules) (fine $1,000-$50,000)
  • Category 3: A violation suffered as a direct result of “willful neglect” of HIPAA Rules, in cases where an attempt has been made to correct the violation (fine $10,000-$50,000)
  • Category 4: A violation of HIPAA Rules constituting willful neglect, where no attempt has been made to correct the violation (min fine $50,000+)
There can also be criminal consequences too for HIPPA violations. BTW last year there nearly $40,000,000.00 was spent on HIPAA fines.

Where would Hillary fall under healthcare privacy standards? I know a guy who lost his job in the Air Force for texting with his cell phone in a restricted area. I know nurses who have been fired for taking pictures of inhuries that don't even include the patients face and posting them online.
And if I did what Clinton did I'd have lost my Job with potential charges being pressed. Since it was intentional I would be standing in front of a judge.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Left classified documents in a car? Not quite the exact same thing.
Documents are safer in a car that's only accessible by the owner or someone who steals it than an unsecured email server that is accessible by everyone in the world.

As an example I would get reprimanded/possibly fired for leaving confidential docs on my own desk at work even though the building is fully secured through multiple passways. In fact if I leave any docs on my desk whether confidential or not I'm in deep ****.

DrewDaHilp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
All Your Memes Are Belong to US
this from renz

----------------

Because...

---------------------
If the whole issue has nothing to do with her handling of classified info, explain the bit about her homebrew server not being given the okay by the State Department.

Reactions: webbuzz

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
If the whole issue has nothing to do with her handling of classified info, explain the bit about her homebrew server not being given the okay by the State Department.
He said he would punch me if I didn't post this

------------------------------

Either because she conveniently didn't ask, or did, and thought "screw it, I'll do it anyway, it's more convenient for me, and also maybe possibly allegedly a way to avoid FOIA requests." This seems to be kind of a theme with her.

The difference between these two cases is that the guy above was an NSA contractor who took classified information he wasn't cleared to handle, while Hillary, who, as Secretary of State, was near the top of the big federal Need To Know list, was sloppy with classified information she otherwise had all legal rights and clearances to deal with.

I'm still of the opinion that what she did wasn't illegal, just really goddamn stupid.

I just Renz would have given me a fair chance. :(
YOU NEVER UNDERSTOOD JK LIKE I DID! :mad:

---------------------------
[doublepost=1476917007][/doublepost]
I think jkcerta has been co opted somehow. He's not the same person anymore.
just helping out a buddy........

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
How come only enlisted soldiers were punished for Abu Ghraib?
Were those soldiers maintaining an illegal email server under officer directive? Because that's what happened here.

Clinton ordered someone to set this server up, Clinton is the one who used it to store classified information, and Clinton is the one who destroyed data under subpoena. **** Clinton.

Reactions: jkcerda

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
He said he would punch me if I didn't post this

------------------------------

Either because she conveniently didn't ask, or did, and thought "screw it, I'll do it anyway, it's more convenient for me, and also maybe possibly allegedly a way to avoid FOIA requests." This seems to be kind of a theme with her.

The difference between these two cases is that the guy above was an NSA contractor who took classified information he wasn't cleared to handle, while Hillary, who, as Secretary of State, was near the top of the big federal Need To Know list, was sloppy with classified information she otherwise had all legal rights and clearances to deal with.

I'm still of the opinion that what she did wasn't illegal, just really goddamn stupid.

YOU NEVER UNDERSTOOD JK LIKE I DID! :mad:

---------------------------
[doublepost=1476917007][/doublepost]
just helping out a buddy........
Why can't Renz post himself?

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Were those soldiers maintaining an illegal email server under officer directive? Because that's what happened here.

Clinton ordered someone to set this server up, Clinton is the one who used it to store classified information, and Clinton is the one who destroyed data under subpoena. **** Clinton.
she should be tried for treason.