Half-Life: Alyx. Now I’m interested.

Ralfi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
My personal fave game’s next instalment is getting the VR treatment, & I’m now finding myself interested in VR headsets.

Game won’t be out until early 2020, so i’m wondering if any new model VR headsets are due for release around then? If not, which of the current offerings should be the most future-proof?

https://half-life.com/en/alyx/vr

Reactions: Huntn and sammy2066

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
I am so excited!

Can't decide on the headset though - the Index is not going to work in my apartment.

To answer your question, the Index should still be the most powerful VR headset (+ your rig) to experience HL: Alyx, but as noted, may not be the most practical solution from a setup perspective.

Just to toot my horn, I was on the team that published the world-first HL2 walkthrough on HL Fallout. Link below for nostalgia purposes (thanks to the web archive!)

Reactions: Ralfi

Ralfi

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
The Index is up there in price, so I’m not sure it’ll be worth it for one game, unless they’re on sale.

MKBHD & Rene Richie both mention the Oculus Quest as one of the better tech products of the year. I guess that places it on my short list.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My personal fave game’s next instalment is getting the VR treatment, & I’m now finding myself interested in VR headsets.

Game won’t be out until early 2020, so i’m wondering if any new model VR headsets are due for release around then? If not, which of the current offerings should be the most future-proof?

Exciting! Fingers crossed it works on the current Occulus, it’s control scheme is simple, and it can be played while seated. :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"My Own Private Idaho”

There's nothing like when your favorite game comes out in VR, for me, its DOOM and Star Wars (for that brief stint :() and No Man's Sky.

So, so awesome. Looks great!

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's nothing like when your favorite game comes out in VR, for me, its DOOM and Star Wars (for that brief stint :() and No Man's Sky.

So, so awesome. Looks great!
For myself, I wanted no part of Fallout 4 VR because I play it with mods, two game controllers and occasional quick reference notes, and had no clue at how to interact with the game wearing a hood.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"My Own Private Idaho”
For myself, I wanted no part of Fallout 4 VR because I play it with mods, two game controllers and occasional quick reference notes, and had no clue at how to interact with the game wearing a hood.
Controls are a major part.

The PSVR Aim Controller with the compatible games are immense!