Half the Guns in the U.S. Are Owned by Just 3% of the Population, Report Says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Sep 19, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

times I have dealt with the ATF = 0.

it's only a crime if you get caught :D

2. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

It would be an expensive experience. :eek:

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

nah, CA loves criminals, we get sanctuary here :D

4. lostngone, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

That's what gets me. You don't even have to be found guilty for them to win.

They arrest you search everything you own, confiscate all your firearms. In most cases these people lose their jobs and are vilified in the community. You end up spending all your savings(if you have any to begin with) in lawyer costs and years later if you are lucky they drop the charges or if you are found not guilty and you STILL have to fight with the ATF to get the firearm you still legally own back(claims like "ongoing investigations"). However in a lot of cases just to turn around and sell them so you can afford to eat.

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

They certainly can. For those "trapped" because of child support or other obligations, or even if they simply choose to live there for non-firearm related reasons, this informs the motive behind the rush to purchase. I make no comment on the right of a state to set its own laws - that being said, I do find it interesting that full faith and credit is found to extend to driving and marriage, but not firearm carry.

Thanks for posting that. While all the more reason for a suppressor, I admit that my position was informed by feeling(!). When I fire a shotgun, I find the bass thump more profound than the crack of a pistol or small caliber rifle (the snap of a larger caliber is a whole other animal, but I'm not using an 03A3 to stop an intruder).

I understand the wiggle room of the shotgun, especially with a HD barrel that is somewhat easy to maneuver.

While you may not normally make ear protection a priority if there is a threat, having something next to a HD weapon is prudent in making it easier to avoid being shot when the police arrive, since it makes it easier to still hear commands (or even their arrival). If there is time, you slip them on; if not you don't. Just a matter of personal judgement, but something to consider.

As far as passing through walls, I agree that's a strength of the shotgun, but you should look at under-penetration as well. Most handguns with HD rounds will tip the scales slightly back towards the penetration while still controlling over-penetration or flyers.

6. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Then you can ignore all the gun laws since you would be a criminal, and then you could side with the liberals to get guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    We know all too well the reputation of the ATF. Branch Davidians in Waco Texas 80+ killed by the ATF.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

nope, I will never side with them there.

8. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

It's not like gun sales are exclusively driven by Federal laws. There have been many anti-gun laws passed at the state and local levels, and many more attempted to be passed. These affect all of the people in those areas and anyone who would have liked to move there.

You left out his gun ban.

9. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

I would love to see @jkcerda live a life that didn't have guns in it (because he wasn't allowed to possess them anymore).

I imagine it would hardly be worth carrying on for him. A fate worse than death.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

PFFFFFT, I am NOT allowed to posses what I already have :D

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Two words that mean the world to the ATF....constructive intent.

12. Herdfan macrumors 6502

But they approved a bump stock. The only intent for having one one is to turn an AR-15 into a M-16.

And they are fun if you can hit the sweet spot.

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

A problem with surveys of gun owners is that we lie a lot. Now, if some unknown type calls me on the phone to ask if I own a firearm, my smart-mouth answer might be, "Sure, what do you need?" The odds are, however, that I'd make some sort of hate-guns comment. And an amazing number of people say they lost their guns in a boating accident. :D

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Well, you know how it is. You're out on the lake, and some of the folks decide to congregate on one side, the boat flips, and the firearms are lost to the bottom.

It just happens oh so easily.

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I own exactly as many as I need.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    Burglars meet my Italian roommate, Mr. Benelli.

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Well of course its from a survey. Most data on this scale come from surveys. That doesn't mean the data is completely wrong.

17. Herdfan macrumors 6502

No Mr. Benelli is too hard to get to, in the safe and all. But his Austrian friend Mr. Glock is within reach. :)

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Ironically, beyond handguns, all your guns would likely be legal here.

19. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

You are in the U.K.? Before the last fishing trip, and relying on the authority of The Wiki, I could have counted at least five of my firearms as prohibited within the U.K. as a result of various bits.

Alas, now things are different.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You're probably right.

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Me Benelli sleeps right next to the bedpost. Always within reach.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Actually the AR would be decent for taking out the protestors if they got violent.

For home defense it would be better than nothing, but I'd rather have a shotgun.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The shotgun is best. Just the sound of chamber of a shell is enough to make intruders think twice.

24. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Perhaps, but I suspect that expecting that racking the pump will be an effective deterrent is foolhardy. Speed of action will be significantly slower than a handgun, especially a semi-auto pistol, and will generally bring fewer rounds to bear. With a single intruder, one or two discharges should be sufficient. Two or more and you will wish for something that allows your to supply your next cartridge a little more quickly joy.

25. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The Berreta sleeps right next to the Benelli. We got he bases covered.