Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
"Mr. Cub" Ernie Banks has died at 83, just days before his 84th birthday, the club confirmed.

"There's sunshine, fresh air, and the team's behind us," Ernie Banks said during his Hall of Fame induction speed in 1977. "Let's play two!"
"Words cannot express how important Ernie Banks will always be to the Chicago Cubs, the city of Chicago and Major League Baseball. He was one of the greatest players of all time," Tom Ricketts, chairman of the Cubs, said in a statement released by the team. "He was a pioneer in the major leagues. And more importantly, he was the warmest and most sincere person I've ever known.

"Approachable, ever optimistic and kind hearted, Ernie Banks is and always will be Mr. Cub. My family and I grieve the loss of such a great and good-hearted man, but we look forward to celebrating Ernie's life in the days ahead."

A 19-year-old Banks debuted for the Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro leagues in 1950. After a two-year stint in the Army, Banks returned to the Monarchs, who sold his contract to the Chicago Cubs in 1953.

Banks made his debut for the Cubs in 1953, as the team's first black player. He played in 11 All-Star Games, hit more than 500 home runs and was the first National League player to win back-to-back MVP honors. He was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1977, his first year eligible.

Banks was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest honor awarded to civilians in the United States, by President Barack Obama in 2013.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/12219755/ernie-banks-former-chicago-cubs-great-dies-age-83

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
"Mr. Cub" was a childhood hero of mine

"Lets play two"

Ernie_Banks.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.