Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn Has Died at Age 54

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ucfgrad93, Jun 16, 2014.

1. ucfgrad93, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Tony was a class player and person, and 54 is way too young to die. My condolences to his family.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...uary-san-diego-padres-hall-of-famer/10581267/

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Way to young.......... He is one of the players during the 80's and 90's you did not want to see come up to the plate if anybody was on base lol!

RIP Tony..............

3. carlgo macrumors 68000

Met him once at a kid's baseball camp, a nice guy and very approachable. Was a very respected player and he always seemed to kill the Giants :(

4. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Best pure hitter I ever saw, and a really class guy. Gone way too soon. Stay away from the chewing tobacco, folks.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Gwynn killed everybody. He assembled some of his best offensive numbers against the top pitchers in the game, and that tells you just about all you need to know about Tony Gwynn. Greg Maddux said that Gwynn was the only batter he faced who could see the speed of a pitch. And, besides being one of the best hitters in any generation, he was a truly nice person by all reports. Vin Scully in his tribute said that talking to Gwynn always brightened his day.

6. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

He was not only a hall of fame player, but also a hall of fame gentleman. The story linked below is just one great example of many. He was a true treasure and will be sorely missed, especially by those of us who idolized him while growing up and followed his entire career. RIP Tony, you did more good in this world than you know.

http://deadspin.com/i-was-tony-gwynns-bat-boy-1592123043

7. larrylaffer macrumors 6502

larrylaffer

I remember as a kid cringing when he would come to the plate against the Dodgers. What a talent he was.