Halo Demo


dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
ScottDodson said:
Hey guys, just figured I would bring this to your attention. Halo now has a mac demo out there for us. So if you've been wondering how it would run on your system...check it out.

Halo Demo: vai apple download website
Link will take you to MacGameFiles
Thanks for the link ScottDodson. I have Halo for Xbox and have been toying around with the idea of buying it for Mac (experience the fun of Halo all over again!).
 

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
1,546
0
Washington
Sedulous said:
I have to admit... I've never even seen Halo.
Well than a quick overview that any long time apple user should know! :)

There once was a software company called "Bungie" that made computer games for the Mac. They started (sadly I don't know off hand) in the early 90's, and made games that some consider to be the best of all time.
They went on to make a few of their titles cross platform for the PC as well, hoping to make enough money to keep themselves afloat. After a while they started working on a game called "Halo" that they unveiled at Macworld SanFran. Not long after Microsoft bought them in order to have Halo be the flag ship game for their upcoming device called the xBox. Many Macintosh "Gamers" were hurt because Bungie was considered by many to the the BEST game developer for the Mac, and today gets votes for the Best gaming company ever. The truth is that Bungie probably would have sunk if they hadn't agreed to the purchase, though no one in the public knew that at the time of the announcement.

Bungie now makes games for Microsoft's xBox, while others do the ports of the games to Windows/MacOS.
 

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
518
4
Near the Singularity
Earendil said:
Well than a quick overview that any long time apple user should know! :)

There once was a software company called "Bungie" that made computer games for the Mac. They started (sadly I don't know off hand) in the early 90's, and made games that some consider to be the best of all time.
They went on to make a few of their titles cross platform for the PC as well, hoping to make enough money to keep themselves afloat. After a while they started working on a game called "Halo" that they unveiled at Macworld SanFran. Not long after Microsoft bought them in order to have Halo be the flag ship game for their upcoming device called the xBox. Many Macintosh "Gamers" were hurt because Bungie was considered by many to the the BEST game developer for the Mac, and today gets votes for the Best gaming company ever. The truth is that Bungie probably would have sunk if they hadn't agreed to the purchase, though no one in the public knew that at the time of the announcement.

Bungie now makes games for Microsoft's xBox, while others do the ports of the games to Windows/MacOS.
I was just going to say the same thing, originally Halo was made for the Mac, many PC users aren't aware of that...I also remember anticipation for Bungie's creation when they unveiled it at MacWorld in S.F. at the Moscone Convention Center... :(
 

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Now, if they'd just stop monopolizing multiplayer with Live and actually decide to develop a PC version of Halo 2. Though, from what I've heard from many people, it wouldn't even be worth it.

highres said:
I was just going to say the same thing, originally Halo was made for the Mac, many PC users aren't aware of that...I also remember anticipation for Bungie's creation when they unveiled it at MacWorld in S.F. at the Moscone Convention Center... :(
Fear not, our Mac-loving Bungie developers still live on at Wideload Games
 

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2002
2,325
1,576
dmw007 said:
What rock have you been living under! :eek: ;)
I know, the horror of it all!

Earendil said:
Well than a quick overview that any long time apple user should know!

There once was a software company called "Bungie" that made computer games for the Mac. They started (sadly I don't know off hand) in the early 90's, and made games that some consider to be the best of all time.
They went on to make a few of their titles cross platform for the PC as well, hoping to make enough money to keep themselves afloat. After a while they started working on a game called "Halo" that they unveiled at Macworld SanFran. Not long after Microsoft bought them in order to have Halo be the flag ship game for their upcoming device called the xBox. Many Macintosh "Gamers" were hurt because Bungie was considered by many to the the BEST game developer for the Mac, and today gets votes for the Best gaming company ever. The truth is that Bungie probably would have sunk if they hadn't agreed to the purchase, though no one in the public knew that at the time of the announcement.

Bungie now makes games for Microsoft's xBox, while others do the ports of the games to Windows/MacOS.
Thanks, I was unaware of that. It would have been interesting if Apple bought them instead. It would be amazing to see what a Mac gaming division could come up with.
 

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
521
0
Oxfordshire, UK
Running on my powerbook


Click for bigger

All medium ish settings, seems to play alright, it gets a bit choppy from time to time, but it's not like halo is all that fast pace, so it's well within tolerable limits
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,678
1,183
New Zealand
Whyren said:
and actually decide to develop a PC version of Halo 2
Yeah, when I saw "Halo Demo" I accidentally misread it as "Halo 2 Demo". I'd love a Mac version of Halo 2. The engine's been ported to Mac (been modified a bit too, it's for Stubbs), so it'd be good to get the game too. Maybe we should all flood requests@aspyr.com :p
 

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Nermal said:
Yeah, when I saw "Halo Demo" I accidentally misread it as "Halo 2 Demo". I'd love a Mac version of Halo 2. The engine's been ported to Mac (been modified a bit too, it's for Stubbs), so it'd be good to get the game too. Maybe we should all flood requests@aspyr.com :p
One can only hope they'd do this, despite their current stance.

BTW, how do they get away with making Halo 2 owners pay extra to download new maps early?
 

WhiteSavage

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2004
151
0
Here.
Played the demo... Played the game... Played Halo 2...

I dont see what he big uproar was about. The first halo was better, and even then, Unreal Tournament 2004 kicks both their boootay's. Only thing halo has over UT is a storyline, other then that... I'll take a goliath over a scorpion and a raptor over a banshee any day.

UT vs. Halo.... Hmmm That would be a sick game.
 

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
791
0
New Haven, CT
Thanks for the info about the Halo demo ScottDodson. This game is old, so why is Bungie releasing the demo version now? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Fun game, but better online :D

Graphics are okay on PB, except choppy when there is a lot of activity going on.
 

ScottDodson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
306
0
Chicago
iPoster said:
IMHO, Halo = MOGE!

*Most Over-rated Game Ever!
(yes, I'm including the XBox version here)

:mad:

I couldn't agree more. Some people liked/loved it...I never really got into it.

And no prob Eevee...I know it's an old game...why the demo now?
 

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
1,564
6
Australia
Halo seems better than Unreal Tournaments

WhiteSavage said:
I dont see what he big uproar was about. The first halo was better, and even then, Unreal Tournament 2004 kicks both their boootay's. Only thing halo has over UT is a storyline, other then that... I'll take a goliath over a scorpion and a raptor over a banshee any day.
Well I can only compare the Halo demo to the UT2003 & UT2004 demos and I have to say that Halo was a lot more fun to play, even for a new player like me. Unreal feels too hyperactive; the action is too fast, there is almost no strategy to its gameplay and the experienced players completely dominate its online games. Halo is more accessible and its 3D engine is faster on my G4 PowerMac with nvidia 64 MB card. I also love the vehicles offered in the demo.
 

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
824
1
I play Halo online every so often. The single player version was OK, I don't play a lot of games so I don't have much to compare it to. But, the online version is great. Wish I had more time to play it.
 

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
5,805
1,700
Western US
iPoster said:
*Most Over-rated Game Ever!
I agree. I played it on the XBOX and on the Mac. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but...meh. Medal of Honor, RTCW, Red Faction, etc. all absorbed me a lot more completely than Halo did. The ridiculous amount of hype this game has received makes it pretty difficult for it to not be overrated. I can't say Titanic was the suckiest movie ever, but in the context of the hype, it was.
 

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Sol said:
Well I can only compare the Halo demo to the UT2003 & UT2004 demos and I have to say that Halo was a lot more fun to play, even for a new player like me. Unreal feels too hyperactive; the action is too fast, there is almost no strategy to its gameplay and the experienced players completely dominate its online games. Halo is more accessible and its 3D engine is faster on my G4 PowerMac with nvidia 64 MB card. I also love the vehicles offered in the demo.
I agree that UT is a bit too fast paced at times and that online play can be a slaughter, but the thing that sells me on UT is the ability to add gigabytes of maps, vehicles, weapons, mods, characters, even entirely new gametypes. Reminds me of the good ol' days of Marathon, Forge, and Anvil. UT seems to run fine on my G4 w/ 64MB Nvidia too, despite that it's under "minimum" system requirements.

Halo lacks for offline play (there's only so many times you can play the extremely linear solo missions) and, while faster loading, is buggy for me at times and the graphics really don't justify the drop in performance when increasing quality. Halo can be quite a slaughterhouse online if you get into a server with experienced pistol users too :D

But that's just my opinion.
 

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
13,521
2,557
Sod off
Well, I gave it a go for the hell of it on my G4 tower (see sig). It's very slow, but turning everything down with the override control panel made it fast enough to be somewhat playable... in 640x480! :eek: No surprise there.

I'll have to try it out on my brother's 1.42 mini. At least then I can crank the resolution up a little.
 

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
372
0
Jacksonville, Fl
Runs fine on my iBook (see sig). Of course, I don't have everything cranked up - just the default settings. Is there a patch or anything to get more servers listed? The PC demo lists over 100 servers, (currently) I only see about 20.