Hamas pulls 'Mickey Mouse' for review.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, May 9, 2007.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

bbc

[​IMG]

[url="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271039,00.html]fox[/url]

I'm a little curious how and why it got on television in the first place...well, not 'why'.

Whats next? Dora the Exploder?

Arab Nationalism is probably a good thing but this is too much.

2. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Yeah, indoctrinating children. What a crime. Good thing we don't do it... remember that documentary about a X-tian camp where kids were terrorised, brougt to hysterical tears and told to worship Bush, and how they noted with approval the tactics of the fanatics in the ME willing to sacrifice their lives for the "cause"? Right. Kettle meet pot. And if you go back just a little bit in our own history (not that long ago!), there were PLENTY of straight up racist cartoons, not to mention sexist.

Yeah, it's bad to indoctrinate kids with politics and nationalist hatred. What about religion? Why is that exempt? The brutal truth is, that ANY religious indoctrination of children is straight up child abuse. It warps the impressionable minds with irrational beliefs, it screwes them up for life with sick, twisted and perverted notions of sex and sin (who hasn't heard of the famous Catholic guilt), and you end up with kids who have lifelong hangups... not to mention pass it on to the next generation - and btw. this is how sexual abuse works, the abusers have themselves been abused as kids, and they do it to the next generation - exactly like religion... the Fred Phelps saga of generational religious abuse and his poor family are merely a more extreme example. Happens every single day in America and all over the world. If we can outlaw physically and emotionally abusing children and take away kids from parents - well, religious indoctrination qualifies as just such an abuse which ought to be outlawed, period. If as an adult you want to go off and bang your head against the floor in some temple or another and worship some nonsensical fiction, go ahead, but leave the kids out of it, at least until they are of drinking age adults. At least an adult can make decisions about toxic drugs - and hopefully about the even more toxic religion.

I don't care - Muslim, Christian, Palestinian, American, whatever - it's wrong to use kids this way.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, this show provided a very good Daily Show last night. I was laughing my ass off at the fake Israeli propaganda show with the talking bagel :D

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Followed by Bob the Bomb Builder and for the older kids Spongebob Suicide Vest.

6. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Unbelievable. youtube

7. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Hey, I'm with you, indoctrinating children with this stuff is wrong, but in the spectrum of grey we live in, I don't think this is the same thing. That documentary you mentioned looked like an event that kids were brought to it didn't air on television. Palestine as has about 21 tv channels where I can't imagine there being a whole lot of kids programming. You know it was being watched because there are kids calling into the show. So the level of penetration is much greater. Besides how many of those bush worshiping kids grow up to be suicide bombers? I'm guessing not as many as kids in Palestine.

From a purist standpoint sure, erase all religion from kids. But in the past church every Sunday was almost ubiquitous. Some of the greatest americans have been deeply religious, albeit it wasn't of the "bush worshiping" kind. Martin Luther King was probably "indoctrinated" pretty early and look who he became.

8. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Well, you know, we can quibble all day long which mote and which beam is larger in whose eye. There's no question for me that while some of those X-tian kids may not become suicide bombers, they may become abortion clinic bombers and doctor murderers. Do we really want to start stacking up which culture is more egregious in indoctrinating kids? Cause I promise you, I can match you case for case and worse going back all the way to 3000 B.C. for Judaism in our Judeo-Christian culture - any nation, including our own. Indoctrination is wrong and regrettable wherever it occurs. My beef is when you present the Palestinians as if "wow, look at that" and "OMG Arab nationalism" as if we haven't done the similar or worse:

Matthew 7:5 "You hypocrite! First remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother's eye."

John 8:7 'But when they continued asking him, he looked up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw the first stone at her."'

Young kids don't have the intellectual ability or the psychological sophistication to understand the theological foundations of any religion. It is wrong to poison their minds when they are vulnerable and defenseless. You wouldn't push drugs on them would you? Yes, many have survived to be fine human beings. We also have survivors of sexual abuse who turned out fine. Humans are amazingly adaptable. Who would have thought that you could survive a concentration camp as a child and turn out not to hate humanity, but be a witness to truth like Elie Wiesel? It doesn't make concentration camps, the preaching of hatred, the indoctrination of the young and the poison of religion - not any of it - right, or just, or decent.

9. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I know. But there wouldn't be a forum if everyone was true to that sentiment. I feel the same way when I see half the threads in this forum. BTW, I think arab nationalism is most likely a good thing, but using fundemental islam to do it is not the right thing.

Wait a sec. YOU are going to start quoting bible verses? I'm impressed.
    Even the atheist sees a few nuggets of truth in that book. It must be chilly in hell today. :) :D

10. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Fair enough.

Well, you want to communicate, convince and be understood? Speak their language, y'know :)

Seriously, I have nothing against the Bible for what it is: a work of literature and a repository of cultural mores. There's wisdom there, if you know how to look for it. What I hate is the approach of "Earth is 6000 years old because I calculated it from the Bible", uncritical reading without context of any kind: linguistic, cultural, historical, social.

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean I am unable to appreciate what is good, never mind the source :)

11. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Good grief, I long for the day when those sweet little kids who called in and sang on the program have better things to sing about than war. :( :( :(

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Farfur back on the air

well, it seems that the chairman of the TV station has decided that complaints about the show were simply part of a campaign to attack Islam, so the show is back on the air. From a report in the NY Times;

NY TIMES the part about Farfur is towards the end of the article

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sickening.

I doubt you will find any here who will defend this.

14. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Farfur has finally been killed.

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/2357.html

BTW, this is a children's program.

15. Queso macrumors G4

Oh dear. I have to confess I was laughing like a trooper through that, but in all honesty it's not funny is it :eek:

16. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I was thinking the same thing. I mean you can laugh or you can cry. But it's better to laugh. It's a crazy world.

It's a bit of a cliché I know, but it's very true in this case...when the Palestinians learn to love their children more than they hate the Israelis then there will be peace.

It's nothing more or less than child abuse. At least kids subjected to religious indoctrination in the West still have access to the real world but over there, what chance do the poor little blighters have. Tis very sad to know that this represents the next generation of the cycle.