Hamburgers, hot dogs, brats and guns at picnic

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by themoonisdown09, May 18, 2009.

1. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Article link

Sounds like a nice little picnic. :D

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Hopefully nobody will be jumping the line. :eek:

PS: Or the gun in any activities? :D

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Maybe they're tempting fate with this:

4. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

The anti-gun sentiment in this country amazes me. While I have only recently become a firearm owner, I have enjoyed shooting and gunsmithing for many years. I just don't understand why EVERYONE has to be lumped into the same category as the minority of criminals and whackaloons who ruin things for everybody.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, some states have tried to ban the teaching of evolution, so I guess guns are next on the sh*t list.

Frankly, I don't mind the miles of red tape and restrictions on PURCHASING or OBTAINING a gun, but they should not be made illegal just outright. Where is responsibility in this equation? Should we ban everything with any potential for risk or abuse? Cars, alcohol, cigarettes, knives, fertilizer, power tools, even duct tape??!

Sorry, I support the right to bear arms. Moreover, I support the right to RESPONSIBLY use your common sense and best judgment in all walks of life, including the use of firearms.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It surprises me how otherwise extremely reasonable people get their undies in a bunch over this too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with responsible people owning guns.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The problem being how do you know who's responsible.

(incidentally by free brats I'm guessing they mean some sort of food and not free children,or is this some right to life campaign?)

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

There is no sure fire way to know. That's the unfortunate reality.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That can be said of just about anything. I don't why people single this one thing out.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

The article didn't judge the picnic, and as far as I could tell non of the initial postings (mine included) said anything really against this. Why are you guys seeing it as being singled out, etc? :)

10. themoonisdown09 thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Whoa... I never intended for this article to be put into the PRSI forums and somehow by the fourth post, it managed to get turned into an anti-gun thread.

I posted this here because I just thought it was funny that there was going to be a picnic encouraging people to bring guns just for the hell of it.

Please keep this discussion on track... who's going to it? :D

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm confused as to why it struck you as funny, or why you are surprised it's in the PRSI. The article itself states this as a political event.

12. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Open carry is permitted in a number of states across the country without a licence. However, many open carry states have cities and other local municipalities that make it illegal again.

Of course it gets even more confusing if you're in Portland Oregon, where state laws says that open carry is legal, city code say it's illegal, unless you're a concealed handgun licence holder, in which case you cannot be arrested or cited for breaking the city code if you were to openly carry your sidearm.

[​IMG]

13. themoonisdown09 thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't understand why no one else finds it funny. The opening statement says it all:

Oh well, it doesn't matter now. I'm all for owning guns and I have a license to carry myself (even though I've never needed to use it before). I think as long as you're educated about guns, there's nothing wrong with this.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Heh. The thread title sounds like the first line of a dirty joke.

15. themoonisdown09 thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

The main reason why I think, for me, that carrying a handgun in public would be dangerous is the way that everyone else would react. I can imagine walking around in the city park and having people freak out because I was carrying my gun in my gun holster.

I could also imagine some big guy running up and tackling me to remove my gun and wait until the police arrive.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's clearly a political event. If it were some kind of hoedown, it might be funny. But as it is, it seems pretty focused on a goal to me.

17. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

As long as nobody shouts "he's got a gun!" in the picnic it will all be well. :p

18. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I would keep my distance from someone like that but I certainly wouldn't freak out, and furthermore, if I were carrying a gun in a holster, legally of course, and many other like minded people were doing so, it wouldn't have the social stigma attached. I think thats the big issue: People still believe that guns kill people, when in fact its the irresponsible users of those guns that kill people.

19. themoonisdown09 thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I guess I can see your point, but my intention on posting this was definitely not to start a political debate.

Exactly! It's the irresponsible, uneducated people that abuse guns and kill people.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Am I the only one who is inspired to think of classic gangsta era hip-hop videos, like Dre Day? :eek: :(

21. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Yet if we apply restrictions on gun ownership based on a viewpoint such as what you expressed; I am not implying you endorse such; that begs the question...

why not drivers licenses? why not ..... and so on.

The price of a free society is that there are people abuse the freedom.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's just like abortion. It's going to get political no matter what. :(

We do place restrictions on both gun ownership and driver's licenses.

23. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

If I were closer, you can bet I'd go. It would be more tempting if they were inviting swords. I can run up to Pigeon Forge and look through sword and knife shops though.

My husband wants to start brokering gold, and he's been entertaining the idea of a gun business (probably because of my fascination with cool weapons). He mentioned starting a store called Gold 'n Guns. :D (Hopefully not though, I don't want another business to run.)

24. themoonisdown09 thread starter macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That would be awesome! Since you live in the south, I'm sure it would get some big business. You're slogan could be:

"Sell your unwanted gold and buy a hand gun in one stop"

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would actually go too. It would be fun to see what everybody brings.