Hampshire school calls police after pupil looks at UKIP website

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cfedu, Feb 26, 2016.

1. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-35671519
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...o-the-police-for-looking-at-the-ukip-website/

When a student in the USA makes a clock that looks like a bomb and the police are called, the regressive left is outraged and gets invited to the whitehouse.

When a student looks at a website for the "wrong" political party at school the police are called, these same regressives are silent.

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Probably the same thing would of happened if he went to Trumps website.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think this was widely reported in US media, so that isn't exactly a fair comparison. That said calling the police because a student is looking at a website is a huge overreaction. Maybe if they were looking at recruiting material for a group like ISIS, but calling the police over looking at a legitimate political party's website is wrong no matter how bigoted the party is.

4. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

I bet they would look the other way if that was the case.

5. aaronvan, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Mick Taylor? I hear Jimmy Page is a huge UKIP supporter, too.

When a student in the USA makes an ISIS flag, dresses all in black, and threatens to behead other kindergartners, they praises him for his "diversity."

When a student in the USA bites a Pop-Tart unto the shape of a gun, they clutch their pearls, shriek like little girls, and run to their safe spaces

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Source for that?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2016 ---
    I doubt it, the UK has been working to try to keep kids from getting sucked into ISIS.

7. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

I'd be more worried about them looking up Corbyn!!!!
    He's got to be a Stalin/Lenin love child.

8. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

I doubt they would have called the police in this way, they would have approached it in a way not to look islamophobic. They would not want to hurt a non white persons feelings by mistake.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2016 ---
    They would have beeen given a bravery award for that.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

The fact he was looking at UKIP is not the story, the fact he was looking at the EDL is

10. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Somebody help me out here. What did the kid do that was wrong ???

I looked up UKIP. I don't see the problem. Oh, wait. The U.K. has their own versions of Janet Reno. Got it.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I wonder if what happens in Old Hampshire when you visit George Galloway's web site?

12. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

You would probably get the Victoria Cross.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

England ... 'nough said.

In other news: There's hunger in africa.

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

It sounds like the police were called because he was looking. At the EDL, but the media are spinning it to sound like the police were called because he was looking at UKIP.

It also sounds like the decision was made by the councils safeguarding team rather than the school. The school will report anyone looking at violent stuff online (the EDL are a violent organisation) to the safeguarding team who take over from there.

15. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Do you have a citation for that? The only mention about the EDL was that he may have looked at an EDL video in the past. Every news organization I have read from has stated that the reason for the police being called was because of the UKIP site visit. almost every quote from the school has mentioned UKIP.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

'The flag had not been raised solely on him viewing the UKIP website'. This lad had been viewing content from the EDL which are a racist group who promote violence towards minorities and I think the school were right to intervene. If it had been Islamic extremist content it would have had the same reaction. It's best to tackle situations like this early if they arise, although judging by some of the comments here I guess certain Americans see nothing wrong if it's a white extremist. Neither are welcome in society IMO.

17. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

From what I read, he watch at video about the EDL that was on the BBC (state broadcaster)site. If I watch a video on ISIS from PBS, does this make me sympathetic to ISIS?

18. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

It's not down to me to judge you in this instance. I would imagine the school have a better understanding of this pupil than we do and I very much doubt they will discuss it with the press. This child could well be known for his views and his father has chosen to get exposure based on limited facts.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

More tilting at windmills by certain MR members. We do not know exactly what happened, and never will, because information about legal matters regarding children is embargoed in the UK. The story told by the father might be accurate or it might be embellished. Given the histrionics of UKIP supporters, I do not trust the father's story. Also, the police number called (101) is a non-emergency number for getting advice, not reporting crime.

FWIW, the EDL is essentially a group of violent racist thugs, so I can imagine the school being concerned if the kid was accessing EDL propaganda.

20. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Exactly this. I'll add that teachers are required to report potentially violent behaviour (including viewing the websites of hate organisations). It's then up to the police to make a judgement as to what course of action to take. If the school had not reported it, they would have been negligent.

21. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Do you feel the same why when that school in the States called the police on a boy who make a clock that looked like a bomb? I'm sure the school knew better in that case as well.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I always assume there is more to something when I read it in the press. Like any story we often hear there is more to it than meets the eye.

The British are a little less terrified of Muslims though.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's not the school who "knew better" in this case. It's the social services who are professionals in safeguarding children.

And I think it's very likely he wasn't just looking at the UKIP website as that would be entirely inappropriate. The EDL on the other hand...

24. cfedu thread starter macrumors 65816

cfedu

Looking at ukip is not inappropriate at all and from what I have read, the EDL content was from the BBC site which is also not inappropriate.

UKIP is less radicle that the GOP, so I don't know why this is an issue. Remember that girl from a few weeks back who had a trump sticker on her computer? A black lives matter supporter took a picture of the girl and said that he would assault her if he get 700 or so likes. Not much outcry from that incident, I don't think police were called nor was the student in question reprimanded.

25. Eraserhead, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But social workers don't talk about their work publicly so you aren't going to find out what the kid was actually looking at.

If they go and remove the child (which seems unlikely) then it will go to court.

EDIT: should clarify that the parents of kids with a social worker aren't generally the most reliable sources.