HandBrake worked great. How do I get the movie on my phone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by EarthDawn, Mar 25, 2008.

1. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

So I converted a movie using HandBrake and now have the Mp4 version sitting on my desktop.... How do i get it loaded into my phone ????

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Drag and drop onto the itunes icon.

Or open itunes up and drag it into the library space!

3. EarthDawn thread starter macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Did that... thanks

I sync'd and it said that the "movie could not be copied to my iPhone because it can not be played on this iPhone" ???

4. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

check your handbrake settings. I'm sure there's an iPhone setting.

5. askthedust macrumors regular

askthedust

open the sidebar

Open the sidebar and click the iphone setting. You will need to re-encode for it to work. Have done stuff for my :apple:tv that also work on ipod and iphone but redid it for iphone to take advantage of smaller file size. Then as previous poster said drag into itunes. You can then find the movie poster or case cover to go in the album art rather than have it make a preview....

6. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I hate this! It takes a long time especially for movies. I used HandBrake too, thinking it would be perfectly converted so I could just drag and drop it to my iPhone and I got the same message as you. I just right clicked on the file after adding it to "Movies" in iTunes and it says "Convert selection to iPhone/iPod" and then it will convert. WARNING: It will take a VERY LONG TIME!

7. sWaltuo macrumors regular

If the video file is already in iTunes and it tells you that it can't be played on this device. iTunes will convert it for you, no reason to have to re-encode it in Handbrake. Now it does take some time. All you have to do is right click on the file and choose "Convert for iPod". Quality is good (maybe not as good if you had encoded on the iPhone setting in Handbrake, but most videos look amazing on the iPhone anyway) Just remember next time you go to encode a video w/ Handbrake to select the iPhone setting.

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Because Handbrake's H.264 encoder is much faster than QuickTime's, it'd probably be faster to just re-rip/encode in Handbrake using the correct setting.

9. Pennine macrumors 6502

10. James L macrumors 6502a

handbrake has an iPhone setting already. Just select that for your settings, rip the movie, and add it to your iTunes library. Easy.

11. EarthDawn thread starter macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

lol....sidebar setting to iPhone.... that would have definatly helped ! DUH !

So it was my fault it dident work but now I see how easy it is......

Thank you for all the fast and helpful answers !

.... works perfect !