Handing down old iphones!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ramio, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I have read many comments on this forum about how people get the new iphone and hand their old iphone to their wives because according to them "that's all she needs". I personally always get the new iphone for both my wife and I. I have done that with the iphone 3gs, 4, 4s and now the 5. Why is it all she needs and not all you need?!. I personally can't get the new iphone and not get her one because it makes me feel bad and selfish. I have a hard time believing that the wives wouldn't want the latest iphone if they were offered one, they are probably just being nice because they know you'd rather not spend the extra money.

I am not a rich guy by any means and sometimes it gets a little hard to get a second one but I think it would be unfair not to. It would be better if you just said that you don't want to spend the extra money instead of trying to justify it by saying "that's all she needs". Does anybody think like me?.

2. meganator macrumors member

I handing down my iPhone 4 to my husband...lol. But only because I am due for an upgrade and he isn't until May. He hates his android phone and wants my iPhone so he gets it on Friday. In may he can use his upgrade however he wants. But I wouldnt give him my upgrade every year and take the older phone. And I wouldn't ask for his either. But that's just us.

3. CC424 macrumors regular

I'm handing down my 7 month old 4s to my wife who has a 4. She couldn't be happier. I upgraded us to the iP4 at the same time but I lost mine and upgraded early.

4. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Most of the married women I know would get their own iPhone if they wanted one.

5. Powrie macrumors 6502

If the person is not interested in tech I dont see a problem with just giving a hand down.

But if they also have an interest in the tech it would be nice to acknowledge that and give an upgrade.

6. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

Some people don't care. For example in my family I use just about all the upgrades because no one in my family cares if they get a new phone, they just want one that works.

7. bearsbears macrumors member

My bf's mom has a 4 but swore that she has a 3G... if they don't even know what they have they probably won't care about the upgrade haha.

8. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

I've been trying for months to convince mine to let me get her an iPhone 5 when I got mine and her words are, "I love my iPhone 4 and wouldn't want anything different." So some are just perfectly happy with what they have.

Hers is also beat to hell and cracked on both sides.. For some reason she just loves the thing.

9. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

My mom doesn't care about having the newest or best, she honestly doesnt even carry her phone around with her (even now)

But after 5 years of being on a dumbphone, she wanted a smartphone really badly, so I gave her m.y iPhone 4S (because she didn't want a larger phone than it) and on the 21'st I'm using her upgrade to get the new phone, she couldn't be happier

10. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

Because my wife knows her role?

She's not looking is she?

Kidding aside, my wife isnt into gadgets at all, all she does is read books on it and listen to music. Her phone before her first iPhone hand-me-down was a $10 PAYGO that was monochrome (awesome battery life, btw). Additionally this way we each can upgrade every year, otherwise we would only be able to upgrade every two years. I show my wife my unselfish side in the bedroom, not via some soulless gadget (and by ”in the bedroom,” I mean I let her watch Jerseyliscious in bed whenever she wants).

11. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

mine wont spend money on a brand new iphone so she gets my old phone and i get to sell hers and use the cash agasinst my new one..

some people just dont want the new ones.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd say that a lot of them would rather spend the money on something other than the latest iPhone :)

13. Powrie macrumors 6502

14. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I got the 3GS and then my wife wanted the 4.
    Then the 4S came out and one of the biggest advances was the better camera and since she takes a whole lot more pictures than I do, she got that one and I got her 4.
    That means that I get the 5 and I don't feel the slightest bit guilty.
    :D

15. bearsbears macrumors member

Get her a Kindle! The iPhone screen is too small to read books comfortably.

16. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

I've suggested it, and she owns an iPad, but she likes to read on the iPhone. I have given up trying to decipher her quirks long ago. Maybe I'll just get her one someday and see if shell use it..

17. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I'm handing down my IP4S to my husband AND using his upgrade to get a new iPhone. He's not interested in an iphone5 and knows how much I enjoy new technology.

He's currently using my old 4, and was using my old 3GS before that.

18. jennyfer macrumors member

Thank you! I was just going to ask- since when do husbands decide what the 'wife' gets?

19. christyn macrumors 6502a

If anything, I've used my husbands upgrades, not the other way around.

It all depends on how tech the person is and if they really care about an upgrade. I doubt any of the husbands on here have the control in the relationship to tell her that's all she needs and have that go over well :rolleyes:

20. Ramio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ramio

When they give them their old phones. I'm specifically talking about when they hand down their old phones.

21. jmargolis macrumors member

I have a 4S, my wife has my old 3GS. I'm getting the 5. I want to give her my 4S, but she wants to keep the 3GS. So now I have to sell my 4S.

22. nerdybooboo macrumors member

nerdybooboo

got a single brother? :p

23. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Millions and millions of Americans are happy with flip phones with no need to get a smart phone.

Millions are happy with IPhone 3 and would not know the difference between the 3 or 4, or don't care.

Millions are happy with Iphone 4 or 4s

And, another group JUST MUST HAVE the latest and greatest. Sometimes that is the spouse, sometimes not.

Why is that so hard to understand?

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

OP, I think you are assuming that the husbands here are telling their wives they can't have a new phone. I sincerely doubt that's the case.

I don't have a husband, but if I did, he sure wouldn't be making my decisions for me.

I always hand over my old tech to my daughter when I upgrade. As she is getting the stuff for free, she does not complain.

25. taedouni macrumors 65816

I don't need to use my wife's upgrade. I just pay the extra $10 a month so that I can upgrade every year. She's still in college so she's not picky to upgrade once every two years. Before we got married she had a crappy blackberry bold that was more than two years old. She was so happy when I paid a premium to get her the 4S (out of contract). She's not from the US so I had to pay the full price. I'm not going to take her upgrade because if she wants a new phone then good for her.