"Hands free Siri on the se" not as good as the 6s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsray, Aug 2, 2016.

1. itsray macrumors 6502

ive been noticing when using EarPods on the 6s I didn't have to press the button and hold like the se. I noticed on the se unless I do it near the phones mic it doesn't work unless I press the button to activate Siri

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I never had an iPhone 6s, but "hey Siri" on my iPhone SE is very unreliable.

3. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

Tried to replicate being able to activate "Hey Siri" from earpods and unsuccessful so far.
    Always have to press the button on them to activate Siri.

4. itsray, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016

itsray thread starter macrumors 6502

on my 6s plus it worked the majority of the time. even when listening to music i would say "hey siri" and it would switch to it. i wonder why. it has the same major hardware other than the taptic engine for force touch.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2016 ---
    but when i have headphones in and put the phone near my chest. not even close to my mouth with the mic side up. it works. i guess it listens for it well enough even outside doing that.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2016 ---
    weird. it worked in my pocket without pressing the center headphone button on my 6s plus. maybe since some shorts i wore the corner of it exposed from the side it picked up from the mic from my shorts. but who knows. ill chat with apple now to see if its an issue.

5. itsray thread starter macrumors 6502

ok found out from support. the mic on the EarPods wont activate hey sorry with it alone. you have to activate it with the onboard phone mic on the SE/6s/6s plus then the mic on the headset works, or press the button. weird how the 6s plus i had worked with it

6. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

So, is this isolated. Wanted to replace my wife's 5 with an SE. Hey Siri, Apple Pay etc. She's not onboard yet. If I would get it and there are issues, I am in big trouble. ;)

7. jlabute macrumors regular

jlabute

you're already in big trouble, it is just a matter of having a reason to discuss it :)