Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After today's media event saw the introduction of two new iPhones and Apple's first wearable device, members of the press were invited to go hands-on with all of Apple's new products. Several sites are now posting hands-on first impressions of both the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, which we've gathered up below to give users an overall picture of the look and feel of the larger-screened phones.

Jared Nelson from our sister site TouchArcade took a look at both the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus. According to Nelson, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus is actually "manageably large" and the screen is "amazing" for tasks like watching videos, reading texts, and gaming. He says the new Retina Display HD screens look "absolutely incredible" in person.

The Verge says the screen of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 "looks great" and that the device feels like a "hybrid of iPhone and iPod touch." Though it's bigger, it "doesn't really feel big," and it's "remarkably light and incredibly thin." Sentiments are similar for the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, but the site noted that even the larger version is "much smaller in the hand" than expected, with the rounded edges making it "somewhat easier to hold."

iphone6plustheverge.jpg
The protruding camera is a indeed a bit strange; I can't help but wish Apple would ease up on its relentless pursuit of thinness in favor of a slightly thicker phone with longer battery life, but like I said, the thinness is what makes the large size manageable.

And that large size is pretty key; this is the phone that's going to force Apple to turn the iPad into a true laptop competitor. I have an iPad mini that will never come out again once I get this phone; I have an iPad Air that will need a better reason to come out than simply the size of its screen.
Engadget has similar thoughts about the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, also noting that the phone's curved edges are "easier to grip" than originally expected." Though the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 has a resolution of 1920x1080, Engadget says there wasn't much difference between the displays of the 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhones. The site also points out a few of the differences between the two phones, including the 0.2mm difference in thickness (4.7 is 6.9mm, 5.5 is 7.1mm) and the increased battery life of the larger phone.
With it being a brief hands-on, I wasn't able to notice a large enough difference between the two; both looked sharp, clean and had great viewing angles. I'll be able to go into more detail when review units grace my desk, but for now, I'm satisfied enough with the visual quality, and I doubt the difference in pixel density will be a critical factor when choosing between the two sizes.
Gizmodo's first note on the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is that it "feels like an iPhone." The site was not a fan of the antenna bands on the back, which it says are "not all that pretty," but it did like the Retina HD screen on the device, saying its "brilliant." As for the larger iPhone 6 Plus, Gizmodo called it "HUGE!"

gizmodoiphonehand.jpg
It's amazingly thin, and incredibly solid, but it barely fits into my hand at all. Just see how those fingers struggle to grasp the new iPhone in the picture above.

Combined with those slick, beautifully machined metal edges, now rounded like an iPod touch or iPad mini instead of chamfered, I was honestly scared I would drop and break the giant handset right there in the Apple tent.
Gizmodo also delves into Apple's one-handed mode, which shrinks anything on the phone's screen into thumb's reach with a double tap on the Touch ID home button.

gizmodoshrunk.jpg
But if you do want to use it one-handed, then boy does Apple have a smart solution for that. Double-tap the Touch ID sensor (don't press it, I learned the hard way) from LITERALLY ANYWHERE in the entire iPhone interface, including the homescreen, and everything on the top half of the phone's screen, every icon, will shrink down to put itself within your thumb's easy reach.
Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have nearly identical specifications. Aside from the difference in screen size, the larger iPhone has a longer battery life and optical image stabilization to differentiate it. It also comes with a $100 price premium.

Apple's two iPhones will be available beginning on Friday, September 19, with pre-orders for the devices starting this Friday, September 12. Prices for the 4.7-inch version start at $199, while prices for the 5.5-inch version start at $299.

Article Link: Hands-On First Impressions of the New iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
They look quite cool, but is that a cracked screen?

Edit, the iPhone 6 Plus looks huge

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
I look forward to being able to compare them in person.

I lean to the 4.7" just because I think it will "fit" better.

April Knight

Suspended
Jul 24, 2011
Olympia, WA
"Apple's two iPhones will be available beginning on Friday, September 19, with pre-orders for the devices starting this Friday, September 9."

Should read Friday, September 12th.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
its funny everytime a new one comes out the old one looks so tiny i mean look at that tiny iPhone 5S. how cute lol

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Can anyone gather whether the iPhone 6 has that same horizontal home screen that the 6+ does?

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
"Apple's two iPhones will be available beginning on Friday, September 19, with pre-orders for the devices starting this Friday, September 9."

Should read Friday, September 12th.

Oh man, for a minute there I got excited that today was actually Friday. :(

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
That 6+ looks like an iPad Mini. SMH I will never understand why someone needs a phone that large. Get a tablet.

Di4mondz

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Haha..To those who thought that leaked iPhone 6 was fake...

Also, the nowhereelse.fr guy was just butthµrt it didn't get leaked to him..

The wallpaper is a default in the GM seed.
Clock hand is tweaked to be longer in the GM seed too..

Last edited:

Mitch1960

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
Like the look of the iPhone 6 with its 4.7 screen not so sure about the larger iPhone 6 plus will have to see and feel both in the local Apple store before final decisions/verdict.

Also want to see both being drop tested by someone to see which is sturdier as suspect the larger screen will crack easier.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
That 6+ looks like an iPad Mini. SMH I will never understand why someone needs a phone that large. Get a tablet.

Not even close to iPad Mini size. Don't imagine it larger than it is. Here's a comparison that should clearly illustrate how much smaller it is than a mini: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ufzp4gowu1sa6xb/AADVfpM7--3jbq-i20B52eXOa?dl=0

Why I want a "phone" that large? First, I hardly ever use the phone part. So I really want a bigger-screen-but-still-pocketable computer that happens to also have phone functionality for the occasional times I need to take or make a call. Personally, I see this as an iPad Mini Mini- all of the great features of the iPad in a pocketable size… with a bonus of full iPhone Phone functionality too. Instead of owning an iPhone AND an iPad Mini, I'm hoping this hits the ideal middle ground and kills 2 birds with one stone.

phillies262834

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
The only thing I'm not to psyched about is the lock button on the side, and maybe the protruding camera. Other than that, it looks good!

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I will be holding off pre-ordering because I have to hold these in person first to decide. Even if it delays getting one the first days. I don't want to regret getting something that large.

Mikkis

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
Pretty satisfied

These are good looking products that we are used to see from Apple. I would choose the smaller one just because it probably has better one hand usability and it fits better on my front pocket. What I am not too fond of are the storage options and pricing.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
So in the end, Apple steals the HTC One M8 design and makes it uglier?

HTC-One-M8.jpg

First time I think having an android/windows phone that is better looking then the iPhone..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.