Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

watchOS 5, the operating system that runs on the Apple Watch, was introduced last week alongside iOS 12 and macOS Mojave. The update doesn't include design changes or new watch faces, but it does introduce some fun new features that make the Apple Watch more useful than ever, like Walkie-Talkie.

We went hands-on with the new watchOS 5 update in our latest YouTube video to give MacRumors readers an idea of what to expect from the software when it launches this fall.

Walkie-Talkie, the coolest new feature in watchOS 5, will let you use the Apple Watch like, well, a Walkie-Talkie, with opt-in push-to-talk communication. In the first beta of watchOS 5, which is available to developers, the Walkie-Talkie app is unfortunately not functional, listing a "Coming Soon" message when you open it up. We'll have a separate video when it launches, so make sure to stay tuned for that.

There are other great new features in watchOS 5, though, like a new Podcasts app that lets you listen to podcasts right on your wrist without needing to open up your iPhone.

For those of you who like competition, Apple's added a new Workout option that lets you challenge your friends to a 7-day fitness competition to see who can earn the most activity points, which is great for motivation.

Yoga and Hiking, two new Workout types, have been added, while runners will be pleased to see rolling mile pace, custom pace alerts, and cadence for better than ever tracking. Automatic Workout detection means your watch will never fail to start or stop recording your workouts, even if you forgot to manually use the Workout app.

The Siri Watch face now supports sports, maps, heart rate, and third-party apps, so you'll see more useful suggestions, plus notifications are now actionable so you can do more right from your wrist. watchOS 5 also introduces limited support for WebKit, so you can view website menus, see full Mail messages, and click links in the Messages app without needing to pick up your iPhone.

It's worth noting that watchOS 5 is going to be limited to Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3 Apple Watch models. That means that it won't run on the original Apple Watch.

What are you most excited for in watchOS 5? Let us know in the comments and make sure to check out our watchOS 5 roundup for more details on the new operating system.

Article Link: Hands-On With All the New Features in watchOS 5

r0han

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
The Raise to Speak feature, where you don't have to say "Hey Siri" anymore, doesn't work for me. Anybody else?

watchOS 5, the operating system that runs on the Apple Watch, was introduced last week alongside iOS 12 and macOS Mojave. The update doesn't include design changes or new watch faces, but it does introduce some fun new features that make the Apple Watch more useful than ever, like Walkie-Talkie.

We went hands-on with the new watchOS 5 update in our latest YouTube video to give MacRumors readers an idea of what to expect from the software when it launches this fall.

Walkie-Talkie, the coolest new feature in watchOS 5, will let you use the Apple Watch like, well, a Walkie-Talkie, with opt-in push-to-talk communication. In the first beta of watchOS 5, which is available to developers, the Walkie-Talkie app is unfortunately not functional, listing a "Coming Soon" message when you open it up. We'll have a separate video when it launches, so make sure to stay tuned for that.

There are other great new features in watchOS 5, though, like a new Podcasts app that lets you listen to podcasts right on your wrist without needing to open up your iPhone.

For those of you who like competition, Apple's added a new Workout option that lets you challenge your friends to a 7-day fitness competition to see who can earn the most activity points, which is great for motivation.

Yoga and Hiking, two new Workout types, have been added, while runners will be pleased to see rolling mile pace, custom pace alerts, and cadence for better than ever tracking. Automatic Workout detection means your watch will never fail to start or stop recording your workouts, even if you forgot to manually use the Workout app.

The Siri Watch face now supports sports, maps, heart rate, and third-party apps, so you'll see more useful suggestions, plus notifications are now actionable so you can do more right from your wrist. watchOS 5 also introduces limited support for WebKit, so you can view website menus, see full Mail messages, and click links in the Messages app without needing to pick up your iPhone.

It's worth noting that watchOS 5 is going to be limited to Series 1, Series 2, and Series 3 Apple Watch models. That means that it won't run on the original Apple Watch.

What are you most excited for in watchOS 5? Let us know in the comments and make sure to check out our watchOS 5 roundup for more details on the new operating system.

jensph

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
NYC
"There are other great new features in watchOS 5, though, like a new Podcasts app that lets you listen to podcasts right on your wrist without needing to open up your iPhone."

Can you download a podcast to a Series 2 so you can listen with no phone near by? On a run, for example.

Reactions: Ghost31

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Watching these videos makes me nervous. Fiddling with this tiny screen, I can’t see the appeal. Still on the fence if I’ll ever buy one.

Last edited:
Reactions: interessiert

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
"There are other great new features in watchOS 5, though, like a new Podcasts app that lets you listen to podcasts right on your wrist without needing to open up your iPhone."

Can you download a podcast to a Series 2 so you can listen with no phone near by? On a run, for example.
Don’t even seem to have a Podcast app on my Apple Watch series 1 with watchOS 5 beta 1.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Watching these videos makes me nervous. Fiddling with this tiny scree, I can’t see the appeal. Still on the fence if I’ll ever buy one.

I was in the same camp for awhile but now that I've had the series 3 since it's been released at the very least it's a nicer more consistent way to get notifications. Just make sure you don't forget to unlock when you put it on your wrist though.

I'd say if you have the cash to spare it's a nice to have but definitely not a have to have. If you flip between android and apple devices it would be even less valuable.

Reactions: hagar

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Sounds cool. Feature I am looking most forward too? After reading Watch OS5 won't run on series O, I guess what I am looking most forward to is my new Series 4 Stainless watch!

Reactions: dwsolberg

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Watching these videos makes me nervous. Fiddling with this tiny scree, I can’t see the appeal. Still on the fence if I’ll ever buy one.

Oh, you don't need to spend time looking at the screen really.

I like it for taking calls

Finding where I put my iPhone

HeartRate measurement - while I am swimming

Lap counting and stroke count - again for swimming

Following my AAPL stock

Sunrise and Sunset time

Weather.

Ummmm Time :)

Messages.

And unsuspectingly cool was for navigation while driving! If you have CarPlay running with your iPhone on a late model car, your wrist will vibrate when you need to make a turn along with the Siri navigation voice and GPS map on the car screen. VERY cool and nice.

OH - don't forget Apple Pay!

There are probably many more things!

Oh! - it can bluetooth music to my AirPods, and it can even live stream if you have a cellular account hooked up on the Apple Watch - I don't because I am in Canada and it's stupid here.

It's not like I have ever "played a game" on the Apple Watch. Most of the stuff it does is automatic.

The only time I look at the screen might be to look at my latest swim workout data while I am in the Jacuzzi after swimming.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Are they going to optimize this for older models like iOS did?

My AW2 is struggling...
[doublepost=1529008951][/doublepost]

Its an awesome device. Didn't realize how awesome until I bought one!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm really looking forward to the walkie talkie functionality. My wife actually wants an Apple Watch for the first time ever because of this function and how useful it would be for coordinating with each other with various activities, the kids and running errands. I'm am REALLY looking forward to getting a shiny new Apple Watch to replace my Series 0 in a few months! Hoping for a bigger display and removal of the stupid red dot. It would also be good if they could find a way to strengthen the sapphire glass as I've got a hairline crack (not really noticeable but now I have to be careful about getting it wet) running along the edge of mine after clipping our stainless steel refrigerator door handle.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
150309-daly-dick-tracy-tease_k0blhw

Does the ‘2-way’ text appear in mid air whenever you use the walkie-talkie feature?

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
Not that I use Apple Watch, but still a decent upgrade in my opinion. Now, if only macOS would get the same amount of attention.. :/

andycarver

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2012
QLD, Australia
I was in the same camp for awhile but now that I've had the series 3 since it's been released at the very least it's a nicer more consistent way to get notifications. Just make sure you don't forget to unlock when you put it on your wrist though.

I'd say if you have the cash to spare it's a nice to have but definitely not a have to have. If you flip between android and apple devices it would be even less valuable.

You don’t need to unlock the watch. Just your phone.

msew

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2017
-would like siri avail on the modular watch face (where your calender normally is)

-would like them to revert the apple watch OS 4 change to breathe time. With 4+ you have to be UTTERLY still not moving at all and it will tell you to breathe. It was and is a bad change.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Watching these videos makes me nervous. Fiddling with this tiny screen, I can’t see the appeal. Still on the fence if I’ll ever buy one.

You adjust rather quickly. I think the 42 mm size display is plenty large enough and I think if you are interested, take advantage of a 14 day return period. I think smart watches are still unfamiliar with some , but they certainly have grown to a demographic of all ages.

grunty

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2014

Which strap is that?

robbo_syd

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
So, have they included iMessage cloud sync in this release? since that seems still not addressed for Watch in 4.x *facepalm* can someone test?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.