Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punitnaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Handwriting recognition seems to be something that a lot of people were expecting in the iPad, and a few people seem disappointed in the fact that it didn't make the cut.

Isn't this the same as the whole 'a touchscreen without a stylus' thing when the iPhone came out?

Also people forget the massive impact the app store has had on the iPhone. I probably spend 70%+ of my time using apps that aren't bundled in with iPhone OS. Surely a decent handwriting app should be round the corner.

*downloading SDK to start developing handwriting app*

PS I'm really happy about this device. I have a macbook pro that is about 4 years old, and still does exactly what i need it to do...internet, email, video etc. This means that I get to have a brand new device, for a fraction of the price. Everyone please stop killing the buzz with negativity! Apple have actually released a tablet with most of the rumoured features at half of the expected price.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Ah well i'll keep racking my brain for that original idea! :(

Give me an app that plays videos from the library on the top portion of the screen, with a note taking area on the bottom. Including the ability to have a drawing area for math type of stuff.

Throw in the ability to link to PDFs & such in the notes, and the ability to write on those PDFs (fill in worksheets) - you are my new favorite dev!

I'll buy it, and pay decent money for it (probably up to $25 :D)

(think, video lectures of classes)

chordate68

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Give me an app that plays videos from the library on the top portion of the screen, with a note taking area on the bottom. Including the ability to have a drawing area for math type of stuff.

Throw in the ability to link to PDFs & such in the notes, and the ability to write on those PDFs (fill in worksheets) - you are my new favorite dev!

WORD!!!

The lack of stylus functionality killed it for me. Being Chem. major i need to be able to draw reactions, do long calculus/physics problems. If a program is written, I'm not even thinking of buying an ipad until one is, that establishes handwriting recognition I would pay about the same for it.

Xiao

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
Hand writing possible?

Just wanted to know if you could possible write using a pen or something to take notes in class, or draw very precisely like drawing on paper with a pencil with pressure sensitivity.

MagAustralia

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
A couple of my friends were at the event. I actually just asked them this question, and they did ask about it while getting a demonstration. The person serving them said there isn't any official input device, but you can use other objects to act in place of your fingers if you want :rolleyes: and there isn't any handwriting function.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There are a couple companies that make special stylus/pens that work on the iPhone and iPod Touch (they use them in some Apple Stores for collecting signatures). These stylii will very probably also work on the iPad.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Since the screen is capacitive and there are products like the Pogo stylus for the iPhone, then I'd venture out and say yes you can use stylii. I'm wondering if the iPad will feature better handwriting input, like that of the Newton and etc.

neuropulse

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Deeply Disappointed No Handwriting Recognition

I am deeply disappointed that handwriting recognition is not built into the iPad OS. Lack of it is why I have not bought a hand held device such as an iPhone yet, and why I won't be buying the iPad. Major letdown. I was so ready to order.

Archive

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
What about Pogo Sketch and an App similar to WritePad rewritten to make use of the 9" screen?

Add something like skitch from Mac OS X with printer/file sharing support and the whole tablet gets a new skill.

Archive

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
I've tried an app for the iphone with handwriting recognition and it is surprisingly accurate using just your fingers.

I would like to try that app with an iPhony stylus (e.g. Pogo) and the the enlarged size of the iPad.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Interestingly enough, Apple own the most advanced handwriting recognition algorithms out there. You have to realize though that it was the SJ who killed the Newton. I think that's most likely why we don't see any of the Newton's technology on iPad. Newton was actually really excellent at taking notes. It would have been so neat to be able to use the iPad that way as well.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Since the screen is capacitive and there are products like the Pogo stylus for the iPhone, then I'd venture out and say yes you can use stylii. I'm wondering if the iPad will feature better handwriting input, like that of the Newton and etc.

I was commenting elsewhere that Apple own the best handwriting algorithms out there. For them not including this functionality on iPad is in my opinion nothing more than an SJ ego thing - considering that it was him who killed the Newton. It would have been really nice to see some better (hand) note-taking capability on the iPad.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This is a good idea. I wouldn't even necessarily want it to translate my writing into anything. Give me a relatively fine-point stylus type pen and an app that gives me a variety of full screen paper types and 'ink' colors. Allow me to save and export as like a PDF or something and I'm sold.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I was commenting elsewhere that Apple own the best handwriting algorithms out there.

I don't think it's been updated for like 10 years now has it? As much as I hate to admit it, Microsoft's handwriting technology is pretty impressive, and a lot better than Apple's.

I agree though that this is a huge oversight. I don't think the stylus should be the primary input, but not including it when all of the underlying technologies are already in place is a big mistake imo. I think the biggest application for this type of thing is in note-taking for schools, but also for art. I'd imagine there's only so far you can go with "finger-painting."

neuropulse

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Inkwell

Mac OS X has handwriting recognition. It is called Inkwell. It works with a touchscreen or drawing pad like Wacom.

I don't know why the hell they don't use it.

If only the iPad ran OS X.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
If only the iPad ran OS X.

You'd have a clunky desktop OS which is designed to be mouse driven shoehorned into a multitouch environment with applications that are not multitouch enabled or designed with it in mind.

Lets give developers some time with this new playground Apple has designed.

If you can't see past the desktop and the possibilities of this device, you're being very nearsighted.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I was commenting elsewhere that Apple own the best handwriting algorithms out there. For them not including this functionality on iPad is in my opinion nothing more than an SJ ego thing - considering that it was him who killed the Newton. It would have been really nice to see some better (hand) note-taking capability on the iPad.

Inkwell was introduced in 10.2, well after Steve had been running things for a while. While very likely based on the newton technologies, I doubt this is a SJ ego thing. I wonder if official stylus support won't be a "pro" feature released in a model targeted at artists with more robust hardware for doing hardcore professional tasks.

This would likely have to run on an OS X-based operating system, and as bpd115 points out, Apple will have to re-design the GUI to work with multitouch, instead of shoehorning a GUI designed for mouse interaction.

maghemi

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Melbourne Australia
This would likely have to run on an OS X-based operating system, and as bpd115 points out, Apple will have to re-design the GUI to work with multitouch, instead of shoehorning a GUI designed for mouse interaction.

Some how I don't see that happening.

But I have to say that the lack of handwriting recognition is a big let down for me.

I am however going to keep an eye out on what developers come up with. If a really decent app turns up with a number of good features in it. It may be worth getting.

I'd love to be able to have a device like this to write up my notes out on sites as well as have access to my documents. I can see it being very useful for my work. Only if some kind of hand writing recognition software is written....

Will be watching this space (so to speak)

punitnaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008

I'm on it, watch this space

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I don't think it's been updated for like 10 years now has it? As much as I hate to admit it, Microsoft's handwriting technology is pretty impressive, and a lot better than Apple's.

I agree though that this is a huge oversight. I don't think the stylus should be the primary input, but not including it when all of the underlying technologies are already in place is a big mistake imo. I think the biggest application for this type of thing is in note-taking for schools, but also for art. I'd imagine there's only so far you can go with "finger-painting."

I totally agree. Just imagine you're in a meeting or class or whatever taking notes, and you also need to draw a graph or a simple schematic. What do you do? With Newton it was so simple. Here we are 15 years later, and we still can't take mixed type/draw notes??? Amazing.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Handwriting with OCR so that my handwritten notes can be converted to a Pages document would be great. I guess OCR has a ways to go to recognize the messy handwriting of humans.

But handwriting recognition into a PDF shouldn't be that difficult on the iPad, and perhaps some 3rd party company will create an app for that, and with a stylus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.