Hang on there buckaroo!

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
2,920
0
Santa Cruz Ca
Lets not go diving off that cliff again.

For the record:

The following products have a snowball's chance in Hell of appearing at MWNY.

1. Uni-iPod/PDA/Cellphone/Pager/Juicer/Car Wax. Get over it.

2. G5. There is no production facility yet, therefore..... shy of SJ producing them in his Colon I don't see G5 for another 6 months MINIMUM.


Oh, and as to my blowing the whistle: It was the only responsible thing to do. Here's the Image if you must see it.......
 

Attachments

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
1,009
0
Revisiting that pic tells us a few things:

This is not the XServe mobo.

So if this is the new G4 mobo:
This mobo has 4DIMM slots, so the post about a 1.5GB RAM cap is out.
The corner suggests a 'shapely' enclosure
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Think about it for a second folks... the positioning of things are way off. As that stands, the processor would be at the bottom of the case, with the cards at the top. Unless Apple completely redesigns the case to do that, this has less chance then a snowball in hell. Anyone with a Gn tower can confirm this... the ports go out the back, which would put the PCI and AGP slots at the top of the case.

As for the memory amount... don't you remember the G4 towers with four memory slots that maxed out at 1.5GB??
 

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
2,920
0
Santa Cruz Ca
All bow before the superior design knowledge of the almighty Alphatech!!!

There is also the possibility that with a new case the mobo also gets (dare I say it) a new orientation.

Plus you're ignoring the fact that it could be mirrored.

There's also the fact that it's a PROTOTYPE. Meaning it may have been an early rev not deigned for a production case.
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Re: All bow before the superior design knowledge of the almighty Alphatech!!!

Originally posted by mischief
Plus you're ignoring the fact that it could be mirrored.
Prototype, maybe, mirrored, nope. Look at it again, the placement of the ports and PCI/AGP slot(s)... With the ports going out the back of the tower, the card slots will have to be at the top of the system.

Another thing... the placement of the ATA/IDE ports on the board goes against the current placement that Apple uses...
 

mischief

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2001
2,920
0
Santa Cruz Ca
Re: Re: All bow before the superior design knowledge of the almighty Alphatech!!!

Originally posted by AlphaTech


Prototype, maybe, mirrored, nope. Look at it again, the placement of the ports and PCI/AGP slot(s)... With the ports going out the back of the tower, the card slots will have to be at the top of the system.

Another thing... the placement of the ATA/IDE ports on the board goes against the current placement that Apple uses...
You're assuming a revamped "El Capitan" case. Stop it. Just think for a minute about how you would build a case around this....

Who knows? Perhaps they'll revive the pizza box, that's certainly what it looks like. Either that or they're doing all the ports out the top. Honestly I think this was a "bench-test" model for testing the parts, not the orientation. There are a few things that point to an "early" proto never designed for a real case like the missing modem port to the right of the Ethernet, the pads are visible but the connector was never affixed.
 

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
3,794
3
in transit
Originally posted by AlphaTech


Slitman, there is no up or down for those ports... they go both ways... ;) just like your ex... :eek: :eek: :eek: ;) :D :cool:
What do ya mean "ex," she still does it now!! :D :p :eek:
 

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
272
0
Maryland
no fighting please. Now, I think that the motherboard is like that because it wont be a tower, it will be a computer that is horizontal
 

goglamosh

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2002
89
0
Originally posted by AlphaTech
Think about it for a second folks... the positioning of things are way off. As that stands, the processor would be at the bottom of the case, with the cards at the top. Unless Apple completely redesigns the case to do that, this has less chance then a snowball in hell. Anyone with a Gn tower can confirm this... the ports go out the back, which would put the PCI and AGP slots at the top of the case.

As for the memory amount... don't you remember the G4 towers with four memory slots that maxed out at 1.5GB??
You assume that motherboards can only be mounted on one side of the case. If you were to mount it on the other side of the case, the port and PCI alignment works out fine.

If you are facing the front of a computer case, a typical motherboard is mounted on the right side. However, this motherboard would have to mount on the left side of the case. If it is mounted on the left side of the case, it works out. The image has just been flipped.
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Originally posted by goglamosh
You assume that motherboards can only be mounted on one side of the case. If you were to mount it on the other side of the case, the port and PCI alignment works out fine.

If you are facing the front of a computer case, a typical motherboard is mounted on the right side. However, this motherboard would have to mount on the left side of the case. If it is mounted on the left side of the case, it works out. The image has just been flipped.
For one thing, newbie, I don't see Apple breaking with it's winning case design. It is made to allow people easy access to the memory and such. Doing a change, as you put it, would require them abandoning the easy upgrade of the current case. With the location of the motherboard as it is now, people can easily install replacement video cards, memory, PCI cards and the like. It is also a snap to install additional hard drives, as well as replace the one that comes with the system. Placing the motherboard inside the case will negate all of that easy. They [probably] would need to make the case larger as well, just to include all of the current drive bays and such. Where do you propose they place the case cooling fan in your change??? :p
 

goglamosh

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2002
89
0
Originally posted by AlphaTech


For one thing, newbie, I don't see Apple breaking with it's winning case design. It is made to allow people easy access to the memory and such. Doing a change, as you put it, would require them abandoning the easy upgrade of the current case. With the location of the motherboard as it is now, people can easily install replacement video cards, memory, PCI cards and the like. It is also a snap to install additional hard drives, as well as replace the one that comes with the system. Placing the motherboard inside the case will negate all of that easy. They [probably] would need to make the case larger as well, just to include all of the current drive bays and such. Where do you propose they place the case cooling fan in your change??? :p
hey, i am just saying that the way the picture was taken of this motherboard, it would have to be mounted on the left side of the case. the picture of the board was probably taken wrong, i.e., some kind of optical phenomenon. And even if the motherboard was mounted on the left side, Apple could make that case side swing open to allow easy upgrades.
 

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
2,915
26
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by AlphaTech


For one thing, newbie, I don't see Apple breaking with it's winning case design. It is made to allow people easy access to the memory and such. Doing a change, as you put it, would require them abandoning the easy upgrade of the current case.
Whoa, wait a second... remember that "white speaker" powermac picture floating around without the hatch handle on the right side? WHAT IF... and just for the sake of what if... the handle was now on the LEFT side in some different fashion? (Like the original beige G3 towers). Then this whole thing would actually make sense...
 

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
2,915
26
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Re: Re: All bow before the superior design knowledge of the almighty Alphatech!!!

Originally posted by mischief
Who knows? Perhaps they'll revive the pizza box, that's certainly what it looks like. Either that or they're doing all the ports out the top.
The pizza box idea is fine except for one thing, mischief: the old pizza box designs were around when people still used CRTs! Now that Apple sells nothing but flat panels, where would it go?? It would jut out awkwardly sitting under a flat panel. Not to mention it'd take up a fair amount of desk real estate. They'd have to make it a "personal pan pizza" size. :D
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
That's one large 'what if' there... Don't forget that the ATA/IDE ports would then be at the top of the motherboard, instead of close to the drives. Since the blue and white, they have placed the hard drive ATA port right there at the drives. This makes it so that you can use a very short ribbon and still connect two drives. They do run the ribbon for the optical drive and place that one in a different location (close to the Airport slot).

I can't see Apple deviating far enough to place the board on the other side of the case, since they would have to redo the case more with that.

All will be revealed on Wednesday... I wonder if the web case is going to suck like it did for the past few years. I am sitting behind three T1 lines here at work, and the quality is through the floor. :rolleyes:
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.