Hannah Montana, meet the Free Market

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Boy, I'm glad I'm not the parent of a child old enough to be affected by this:

CNN

Billy Ray Cyrus may be being careful about what he says, but he still comes across as an idiot. As to the price gouging, this is a perfect example of why the utopian ideal of the Free Market just doesn't work. It's out of control in a lot of different areas, but charging little kids (or their parents, actually) $350-2000 for $63 dollar tickets? Some might call that supply-and-demand. I call it legalized robbery.

2. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

I can't believe people would be happy paying $63 or $250+ for a family to attend a kids concert.

I live in one of the States that has scalping laws and can tell you that they have very little effect on the broker market.

And it's good to see Billy Ray is up to something productive.

3. fotografica macrumors 68040

I've always thought of ticket brokers to be nothing more than legalized scaplers. How they're allowed to legally sell a ticket at 20+ times the face value is beyond me. Yet a guy on the Landsdowne St. selling a couple Sox tickets can get arrested..

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

If you don't think the tickets are worth $X, don't pay it. It's not price gouging. The real "victim" is the artist, but of course she's making plenty off the tour, so I don't see much of a problem there either.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The problem is that we're talking about prepubescent girls here. They can be more than a little willful and manipulative. Parents are paying these prices because their kids only understand that they're not going to be cool in the eyes of their friends if they don't see one of these shows. If they can make their parents feel guilty enough, at least some of them will fork out.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

States with anti-scalping laws don't bother to enforce them. That's why this is so rampant and getting worse.

Scalpers are voracious. They, as a group, buy up everything and anything, leaving you no choice but to either pay their ransom or never go to an event in your life. The only way to pay face value for a sporting event is to buy season tickets, if you can. And by "can" I mean if there are any open spots available, not whether you can afford it.

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, you just put your finger on it. Is it just a coincidence that these guys can charge whatever they want while laws are passed keeping private citizens from selling tickets at more than face value, or did the broker industry make sure it turned out that way?

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't see the problem with scalping. If there's enough of a demand for tickets, and you can find someone who's a big enough fan of the artist or team or whatever to pay more than face value, what's the big deal? It's legal to buy up all the PS3s and put them on eBay for twice the retail value, this is no different.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The problem is parents having to explain to their children why they can't spend $2,000 for a ticket. A lot of artists also have a problem with only wealthy people being able to attend their concerts.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The inefficiency is in the form of excess supply instead of excess demand. Instead of not being able to find a ticket that you can afford, you can't afford a ticket that you can find because the accessibility platform is tainted and skewed.

Even Olympic Committees have had the tables overturned for their greedy overplay.

If scalping ("legalized" under another name or "otherwise") is let go to run its own agenda and course, not only entertainment events will suffer, but what of transportation including metro, train, plane tickets? Interestingly, this problem was being addressed as far back as 1897. :)

11. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

It's different because Sony can always make more PS3's if a 'scalper' buys them all. But there are only so many tickets that can be sold for an event. Once tickets are sold for all of the seats then no more tickets can be sold.
    If you think about this really hard you'll see the problem with scalping. Put yourself in the place of the person who wants to see the concert and then you'll see how unfair it is to them. I think it's especially bad in this case because these are young children that the scalpers are disappointing. I have nieces and friends with little girls who wanted to go to the concert in Kansas City, and it's sad to see their disappointment that they can't see their favorite singer in concert just because a bunch of greedy scalpers bought out all the tickets.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Try as I might, I can't find anywhere a Constitutional right to be entertained.

That being said, if Disney or anyone else wanted to put a stop to scalping, using in a system akin to how airline tickets work would be an incredibly easy solution. Print the buyer's name on the ticket and check ID at the door.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I just tell my son he can go if he comes up with the money himself or he can't go. It's that simple. I think people have trouble telling their kids no these days.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I see your point. And I don't think these brokers grabbing up thousands of tickets to resell at a higher price is right.

But, if I buy a couple tickets to a game or a concert, and intend to go, but something comes up at the last minute and I can't go, legally, I can't sell them at a higher price, and that's what I don't agree with. If a couple devoted fans want to have a bidding war over them on eBay, then let them. Perhaps there needs to be a line drawn somewhere so commercial scalping isn't legal, but some guy just trying to sell tickets he can't use even though he intended to attend that event should be allowed to sell them for what he wants

15. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

There's a Hannah Montana concert at Kansas City's new arena, wherewhich the tickets sold out in about the first ten minutes of being available - which now has the population screaming bloody murder.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Oh, it's not a Constitutional issue at all. I see it as a quality of life and fair free market issue.

No need to inconvenience the average punter with ID checks (where they wouldn't be able to give the tickets to a relative or coworker). All they need to do is set up a few dozen stings a year in each state and shut down the major players.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Ask the lady who is suing Apple for millions, all you have to do to give them a bloody nose and kill the free enterprise scalpers who buy tons to resell is...

Reduce the price of your product weeks later. ;)

And with tickets, all you would have to do is open new sections at a lower rate and make them available at the arena box office only.

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think he's serious.

19. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

It's so true. And then these kids grow up spoiled, and when they do hear no, it becomes a huge mess, not good conditioning at all. Glad to hear you dont fall into that category.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd think it would be easier to defeat this kind of thing with some ingenuity on the part of the ticket vendors rather than enacting new laws that attempt to thread the needle between restricting resale rights while protecting consumers. Of course, the ticket vendors have no incentive to enact such measures, as that would be working against their bottom line.

What I don't understand is why the ticket vendors themselves don't just up the price to scalper levels?

21. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Really. What's with all these 8-year-old girls nowadays who can't come up with $350-2000? (Actually $700-4000, since they're presumably going with at least one parent.)

Kids these days are so lazy. :rolleyes:

22. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yeah, I agree. I didn't know it worked that way and that's just not right.

23. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Perhaps we should apply fair trade principles to Hannah Montana tickets to ensure the right people are paid the right amount of money. Perhaps we can introduce preteen price controls.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What does that have to do with anything?

Or they just want to take their kids to something like this, the kid gets excited, then the parent has to let them down when they find out someone bought the ticket already who has no intention of actually using the tickets themselves. They just want to rip people off and make money for doing nothing.

Of course you're ok with that, but I can't believe you don't see why some parents who actually want to see the concert wouldn't be.

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Well, that's a helpful solution to the problems of ticket scalping, now isn't it!!!!