Hannity’s rising role in Trump’s world: ‘He basically has a desk in the place’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

These people who have hitched their wagons to the manic Trump stallion, what do you think their angle/end game is perceived to be? Group psychosis or the Grand Con for power and wealth? For Trump, I’d describe it a a combination of both. :oops:

I’m not educated enough to make a firm determination, but my impression is that Trump has either shown that he can violate the Constitution at will without the significant repercussions that end up with him tossed out (that may be in progress) or our Constitution is vague enough that an evil can operate within it’s bounds and ultimately, a Represational Democracy can’t be relied on to produce a good outcome, if the populace does not insist on standards (truth, honesty, integrity) and does not hold its leadership responsible for such tomfoolery that’s currently being displayed. Ultimately, our leadership good or bad is us, the collective us.

2. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

It's shameful. Openly promoting, tweeting about a private tv channel and its shows is not very presidential. Aren't there bigger and better things to do as a president?

notable comment from the WaPo link above :
    "Hannity, Carlson, Pirro, Ingraham...the four Goebbels children."

3. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

As someone who didn't vote for the guy, but lives in "flyover country", they mostly hated Hillary. If the democrats will somehow be intelligent to run some new moderate blood that they can get in place with their superdelegates (NOT Bernie Sanders), then they can win. Whether they will is a different story.

4. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

Lock him up! (hopefully)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2018 ---
    Ive wondered this for some time now. It seems like everyone that tags along with DJT ends up broken, damaged, untrustworthy. All the skeletons come out the closet.... I like it myself but I wonder what goes through the minds of people signing up to him?

Reminds me of abuse victims (of which I am which is why it reminds me). You think “this time they’ll change.... it happened to those but it wont with me....” you make up excuses defending them in your head but..... as always.... it turns out to be a silly mistake and the same things surely happen to you

5. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Interesting piece. It's no secret that the White House has had relationships with the media probably since the early days of the United States, but has it ever been this blatant?

6. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

I can understand that Hillary is flawed, but really now, how much of this hatred was due to the dishonest, harshly negative campaigning by Trump? So instead they voted for someone who lies constantly, is mean-spirited, lazy, uninformed, racist and has no regard for the dignity of his office or Constitutional norms by advocating jailing of citizens who have not been charged with crimes. Not to mention the gross conflicts of interest he has due to his businesses. So they voted for this guy but hated Hillary?

7. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

Not as much as you would think. People are pretty cynical out here. Hillary and Bill just sucked that bad. Any other candidate, even Bernie, would have won. The Dems need to own it so they can move on. And Conflict of Interest = The Clintons. Have you noticed that every time they mention payouts from Russian people to Trump the Clintons got more?

Again, give people someone to vote FOR on the Dem side and not against.

8. Huntn, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Not directed at you... I find the hate Hillary reason to be indicative of either a brilliant hatchet job (by the GOP, which I’ve said they have succeeded) or a group of citizens who have trouble with their priorities and understanding cause and effect.

Hiring a conman and expecting a better outcome, makes no logical sense, which puts me in the position of questioning intelligence, lack of a basic examination prior to voting, or the gullibility of citizens who voted for Trump. :oops: It does not please me to say this, because while I have empathy and feel for those unable to make healthy choices for themselves, I realize they, for whatever reason, have put us in National jeopardy.

9. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

I completely agree, but both candidates were so bad. So they made a choice. Hillary would have sucked just as bad.

I mean she waited for the polls to see what she should believe. NEW BLOOD IS NEEDED.

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It’s personal perception, prejudice (not necessarily racial only), and a world view of the stratum the individual perceives they resides at, what advantages they deserve by virtue of their perceived self wealth and entitlement.

11. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

You can think this but it really wasn't that complicated. No sociology needed.

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

It's not a zero sum game though. You can simultaneously not like Hillary Clinton and not like Donald Trump, but still consider him the lesser of two evils. Or if you are a Republican (or even just a conservative) that doesn't like Trump, it doesn't mean you will automatically jump to being a Hillary Clinton supporter. As morally reprehensible as the President seems to be, Hillary Clinton is equally so to many in this country while also having policy positions that are the athetesis of what a conservative would be able to support (abortion, tax increases, ACA expansion, etc, etc, etc).

Donald Trump did not create or perfect the negative narrative against Hillary Clinton. That was already baked in over three decades of her public life. Had the Democrats not worked so hard to insulate and push such a broadly unlikeable candidate Donald Trump's presidential run would just have ended up as a blip in the history books.

13. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

Exactly, that unlikeable was the key issue. It was the Nixon "bead of sweat" problem all over again. It was Obama versus Romney, but with the parties reversed.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I've been saying this for years. If the democratic party can get passed playing identity politics/intersectionality they can go on a real run. They need to learn to speak to AMERICANS, not black Americans, Hispanic Americans, gay Americans, just speak to everyone. Stop trying to look for victims, stop castigating everyone who doesn't agree with their perspective 100%, accept there are a variety of view points (within the democratic party) and embrace an honest discussion without labeling anyone or deeming them your enemy.

I'm pro-choice, but with limitations. Just having limitations would make me an outcast in the democratic party.

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I agree about new blood, but will point out that if we subject all of our moderate to liberal candidates to character assassination treatment, as the GOP does, they might all end up like Hillary did.

I disagree with your characterization that she believed based on what her polls said. Hillary had very specific thoughts that the Right hated her for, the first one was Universal Health Care, which is a pretty good idea in light of the health insurance road we are on. And of course she was loathed for her lawyer work to help children, and the fact that she was Bill’s wife. :rolleyes:

I accept your disagreement in advance, but Hillary would have been 100 times more competant and consistent, and in my estimation the real reason she would have been just as bad is because the GOP would have gone into DEFCON 4 mode, spending all of their time not working with her, but trying to destroy her, which in the end they got their way.

16. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

Well, there is no way to truly know. But based on her voting record in NY, I doubt it. Anyway, let's focus on what's next. Who is out there that an independent will vote for next go round?

Speaking of DEFCON 4 mode, you mean like the Democrats are with Trump? It's a cycle. A bad one. We need a moderate to reach across the aisle and end the cycle.

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I’m sorry but for Trump, there is a huge, clear difference. Now is not the time to make an equivalence argument, as in they are all alike, clearly they are not. Trump is one of a kind. :oops:

I used to vote Republican, I detested W, but even I see a clear delineation between Trump and all others who have come before him. It’s never been like this before. We’ve never had this kind of catastrophe occurring in the White House before. And no, this is not me being a partisan. I can call a spade a spade.

18. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

Either way at the time of the election. There was no way to know this. It is like an invisible cat in a chair. I can't prove there isn't an invisible cat in the chair in which you say there is. Hillary isn't president. There is no record for me to tear down (or build up for that matter). That said, even if the voters should have somehow known and were wrong now, I don't reprimand my kid for spilling milk either. We just clean it up and move on. Who is out there on the Dem side that will help?

19. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

The Dems have moved on. We always move on. Otherwise please explain how we could have run Michael Dukakis one season and Bill Clinton the next. 0r to reach back even further: to support men like Eugene McCarthy and Bobby Kennedy in the primary season of 1968... and then try to prop up Hubert Humphrey against Nixon in a general election after the most tumultuous and tragic year since the Civil War at that point in our modern history.

We Dem voters are like those of any other party: we must play the hand we are dealt along with cards we pick or are forced to play along the way.

It's true we may have moved (and the DNC certainly did move) in the wrong direction (and wrong manner) to try to advance further from Barack Obama's time in office, in turning to acknowledge tremendous pressure from some Dems to give Secretary Clinton "her turn".

No matter how qualified anyone is, there's no such thing as one's deserved turn in American politics. It doesn't suit even our own mythology about ourselves as bootstrappers from level playing fields, never mind fit the constitutional underpinnings of the republic. In the end we're more scrappy than accepting of even pseudo-coronations. But, we are a big tent party and so most Dems including the runner-up did try to support Clinton after the primaries ended.

So but moving forward: the whole country is now stuck with the choice the overall electorate made to leave Clinton and her flaws in the dust. Leaving aside who was influenced by whom to stay home or vote for particular candidates, that choice is over and duly recorded in our history.

Secretary Clinton is left to book tours about her version of "What Happened" and to assorted other roles assumed by party elders who have valuable field experience to share.

The task for the rest of us now is to adapt to the reality of governance by the grifters who smelled Trump coming, and who now surround him. The simple enough plan of some of them is to feast on America so long as his administration continues to rot from the head down... until it sinks of its own putrid weight into the swamp that our grand dupe Donald Trump promised to drain.

There are a few Republicans in high places in Trump's adopted party who have the power to interrupt that ongoing rot by assorted constitutional means between now and 2020. It's up to the electorate that favored Donald Trump to signal whether they want him and his dysfunctional associates removed or will take care of that job themselves in the voting booth. Whichever way that job is approached, I suggest that as you said in your post referencing the Democrats, the Republicans "need to own it so they can move on."

Don't you worry about what's next for the Democrats. It shouldn't come as a real surprise, whatever it is. Trump has racked up plenty reasons for wholesale defection from a fractured GOP already casting intraparty blame for whose fault this trainwreck is. In the end no account suffices for why a party with tripartite hold on the reins of power cannot give us better government than what's been slopped from their troughs in the past fifteen months.

20. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

But of course this was obvious at the time of the election. They voted for a completely unqualified person who didn't know anything about what he was getting into or about the rule of law and who repeatedly said things that clearly demonstrated this.

Voting him in wasn't an accident like spilling milk. It was an accident like crashing while driving drunk is an accident. And while certainly your point that we need to offer solutions is well taken, some degree of moral opprobrium is not misplaced.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2018 ---
    Seriously... the apparent lack of being able to see in advance what a disaster this would be has got to be the reason some conservative people think Democrats were just upset because they lost. No, we were upset about what this said about our fellow Americans— that we as a nation are not who we thought we were.

Here is something I wrote the day after the election:

Last night at the Javitz Center:

Among thousands of Hillary supporters from New York and surrounding states (and no doubt further afield), I wound my way on foot through more than a dozen cordoned-off blocks of Manhattan to join the throng of RSVPed attendees waiting to get through security. Most people were in their twenties through forties, with notable exceptions. They represented many ethnicities and national backgrounds, though I would guess that there was not a lot of diversity in educational or income level--it seemed like a young, professional crowd.

Having arrived in line at 6:30, a half hour after doors opened, I knew from crowd rumblings that the venue was already at capacity, and that we would go into the venue through security, then be led out into the block party in front of the Javitz Center.

From what people gathered from friends inside, we probably had it better outside. We had food trucks and some space to maneuver and perch. A parade of notables spoke to us throughout the night from the outdoor stage-- Senators Schumer and Gillibrand; Mayor DiBlasio; Governor Cuomo; the mothers of Trayvon Martin and several others killed in gun violence; Khizr Khan; even Katy Perry. In betweeen, we watched results stream, then trickle, in on a big screen. Interspersed were the most inspiring of the Clinton campaign ads.

As as the night wore on, people became more nervous and quieter, spending more time reading their devices--then sharing information with those around them. During the later hours of the event, as the hope began to dim for our vision of not just what we could be as a nation, but who we actually were as a people, a bright spot emerged.

The women around me began to bond. There were men in the crowd for sure. But numbers began to dwindle. And what remained tended to be women like me. Women from very different backgrounds--but professional, intelligent women who had come by ourselves. We came not because we were Democrats and it was convenient and fun, but because we were really invested in the inclusive and progressive vision for America. We had volunteered, donated, and sought other opportunities to participate in the movement.

We shared a sense that what was happening last night was surreal. We had had faith in the basic decency of Americans and faith in our compatriots' ability to choose a leader with, if not experience in government, then at least the intellectual curiosity and motivation to learn. That faith has been seriously shaken. The belief that we are telling our daughters the truth when we tell them they can be whatever they dream of being and work hard to achieve has been shaken.

But in the face of losing faith in our capability as a country to choose a path forward, not backward, it was very heartening to find new friends in which to place faith. We exchanged phone numbers and Facebook profiles. Only time will tell whether we stay in touch. Regardless, it was truly comforting in what felt like a very dark time to connect with others in a heartfelt way. Today it is comforting to know that they, and others like them, are out there. Smart women. Good women. Women who want to see justice and equal opportunity for everyone. Women who want to see the US as a good partner to our allies and a participant in the world community.

And thank you, Hillary, for putting yourself through all you have been through to bring us together and to amplify our voices

21. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Okay, I don't want to relive the election, but when I read something like this I have to provide some balance. What the heck does Trump believe? He seems to contradict himself at every opportunity. We've learned how Bannon test marketed ideas which Trump then adopted, even reluctantly, such as building the wall.

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It depends, I must think on this. I like Elizabeth Warren, but my guess the Right would try to try to make her Hillary II.

23. BoxerGT2.5, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well she's got a problem claiming to be something that she might not be, so there's that.

24. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

As far as I can tell, that’s Right wing/Trump slur to try to paint her as dishonest, just more typical character assassination from the Right. And look at who it’s coming from. :oops:

From where she comes from, it would be easy for her to have some Indian blood. I have no reason to disbelieve her when she says this was passed down in her family lore. And btw, you don’t have to look Indian to have American Indian blood. However a DNA test would resolve the issue, but in the spectrum of knowingly lieing, especially political lieing, if that is what she did, this is a misdeameaner compared to many of her critics including the head Liar Liar, Pants On Fire who has made a living based on deceit. Of all people to condem others. :( And no this is not an equivalence argument. Trump is truly detestible when stacking him and his offenses against most others.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...behind-elizabeth-warren-and-her-native-ameri/

https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/29/politics/elizabeth-warren-native-american-pocahontas/index.html