Hannity might be next after O'Reilley is gone and Shine is gone.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by oneMadRssn, May 1, 2017.

1. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Good riddance.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/05/01/sean-hannity-eyes-fox-news-exit-insiders-say

"The network now belongs to the Murdoch sons,” another Fox insider said after learning that Shine was gone.

One insider speculates that the negotiations could end this week and Hannity might be out by Friday. Another said his final show could even be tonight or Tuesday evening, given Shine’s Monday resignation.

But to some Fox News conservative vets like Hannity, Shine was the remaining bulwark against the Murdoch sons, who are seen as “liberals” trying to radically reinvent the network in the model of a mainstream cable-news rival like CNN."
    I don't like CNN, nor any 24-hour cable news channel. They're all pure garbage. But there is something poetic about Fox News becoming more like CNN.

Either way, it will be a good thing when Hannity doesn't have a prominent national stage anymore.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

All these big egos have to go. Olberman, O'Reilly, Hannity, Maddow. They're showmen, propagandeers.

3. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Why would Fox News want to be more like CNN? Fox News (or Faux News for the cool kids) does way better numbers.

4. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It wasn't that long ago that news was just a boring monotonous head speaking facts at you in between entertainment.

"The president visited the site of the earthquake today, where 35 people died. He spent 45 minutes handing out supplies and shaking hands. In Atlanta, the braves lost another baseball game. In Las Angeles today, a high speed chase ended in a wreck; the driver was found to be drunk. Now, your weather."

None of these contentious panels, opinion stories, and semi-entertainment programming. It's not news!

5. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Hannity should have been kicked out first. They left the most insufferable on the air...

6. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

"The body of Murph the Surf was found dismembered, tied in a burlap sack, weighted with heavy chains and thrown off the local pier. Police suspect foul play."

:cool:

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

somebody somewhere had to drain a swamp........might as well be Fox News

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm curious how all these many many changes are going over with conservatives? They've lost a lot of on air personalities. What do they think about all the changes?

9. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I suppose if I had to be labeled people who know me would say I'm a conservative. So as one I can say that I find Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity to be obnoxious. I may agree with some of their viewpoints but I tend to think they're delivery is annoying and they usually seek an argument to make their point.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So far the sexual assaults mean they've had no choice.

11. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Don't forget Limbaugh! The cretinous bastard.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, I loathe FOX news, but maybe they'll get back to the news. Certainly where I am FOX at least devotes much of its time to actual news, whereas CNN, BBC, etc. focus too much on business 'news', sport, fashion, and 'human interest' stories that are boring. Who knows? Maybe we'll see a media war that forces the news services to actually, you know, focus on the news.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The trouble is, that serious news (assessing and confirming facts, checking sources - not least, conflicting sources - along with old style skills such as some verification, research, following leads) - all costs money.

"Human Interest" is both cheaper and - often - rewarded by higher ratings.

Now, personally, I want good, reputable news - lots of solid, well-researched, balanced, informed, intelligent - and sometimes insightful - news - but, that is quite demanding of resources.

And profit run TV tends to deploy resources where higher ratings might yield greater returns.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Actually RT occasionally has good news analysis, but you have to unpack it from the ridiculous propaganda they inject into it. The funny thing is that there is enough wrong with the West that Russia could just stick to the truth, and yet...

In any case, given the low quality of news reporting, I do fear for the future.

15. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

What I can't stand is when these news stations (they all do it) bring in the so-called "Experts" to discuss what the President and/or Congress should do. Then when you throw in these talk show hosts (not newsmen) only makes it more laughable, for if the so-called "Expert" leans to the host's political leaning then that person is being slobbered on with praise. If the so-called "Expert" leans the opposite way then he/she is using cut-off mid sentence and miraculously that segment of the show doesn't have any more air time.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'd be quite surprised if Hannity were to be forced out. Because that really would signal the end of the Fox News primetime propaganda machine.

Loathsome and stupid as Hannity is, his personal off-camera behavior has not risen to the level of awfulness to merit firing. Waving guns around the workplace apparently not being considered serious enough.

Hanging over all this turmoil at Fox News is the parent company's bid to take full control of Sky in Britain. The communications regulating office there has to find that News Corporation would be a "fit and proper" owner. This was what was behind the ousting of sex-predators Bill O'Reilly and Roger Ailes.

17. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I guess catheter, erection pill, and gospel album ads don't pay as much as they used to.
    --- Post Merged, May 2, 2017 ---
    From what I've read, it's not that Hannity is being forced out. It's that Hannity is concerned that the new leadership will force him to change how he does his show, and if so, he want's to preemptively get out while he can.
    --- Post Merged, May 2, 2017 ---
    I agree. This type of stuff is the news channel attempting to make news, rather than cover news. It's become a cable tv news trope, and I hate it.

18. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Don't forget about the gold ads

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

That would be more likely.

But I would struggle to see where Hannity could match the sort of paycheck he's been getting from Fox News. Or the sort of audience.

20. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Right, I think the current Fox News format is as good as it gets for someone like Hannity. I assume, at this point, Hannity cares more about his message and the format of his show than his paycheck. In other words, he would take a pay cut and move to a smaller stage in order to keep his messaging and format the same.

I say this based on the fact that he could probably have achieved a higher pay rate and a larger audience by now by being a bit more centrist and mainstream; but he hasn't.

There is a place on AM radio, podcasts, and youtube for Hannity. His audience won't be as large, but his core group of fans will follow him there.

21. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Hannity: "All The Lies You’ve Heard About Me Are Not True"

Let's give the guy a break. You can't be much more truthful than that! He did neglect to add that all the truths that you've heard about him are true.

Lies = not true. Truths = true. These are the kind of hard hitting facts that you can expect from Fox News every once in a while.

22. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Ever since he did a three-day rant on Sandra Fluke, he's lost so many advertisers that he got turfed off all the big AM stations in the major markets. His stations, which put out a tad more broadcast power than the average baby monitor, now rank below college alternative rock. His core audience is old enough to have watched the Kennedy assassination in real-time. His last contract "negotiation" has him no longer taking a salary; he gets a percentage of what ad revenue there is in gold scams and boner pills.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The question is what kind of a change is this? Is it better to have a news source flagrantly wear their prejudice and partisanship on their sleeve for all to see or keep it hidden in the shadows?