Happy Birthday cell phone - the first cell phone call occurred 04/03/73

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Apr 3, 2013.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As reported by Engadget, the first cell phone call occurred 40 years ago today.

Its astounding how the industry has changed these past few years, thanks in large part to apple. Still, I remember my first cell phone back in the 90s.

Its unfortunate that the company that was a pioneer failed to continue to innovate and was bought out by google. Motorola was unable to keep up with its competitors these past few years.

2. Fazzy macrumors 6502

I had no idea the first 'mobile' phone was so old. I thought it was 10 years younger at least. Well, you learn something new everyday.

3. eric/ Guest

eric/

I remember my Mom having a Nokia cell phone. Little blue thing that had snake on it and stuff.

Then I got my first phone, which I loved. Then I got a Motorola RAZR, which was the best thing ever.

My how times have changed.

4. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I remember seeing people using the DynaTAC 8000 series back in the 80s Turning my head and wonder what the heck :)

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's good stuff. I sent the link to some of my Motorola Solutions counter-parts in an email.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd also like to add a very Happy 40th Birthday to the dropped call.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Not really the first cell phone. They had car models in the 1940's. This is just the first self contained handset.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

My current phone is a Motorola RAZR (original one) on pay as you go T-Mobile.

The call quality is excellent, the battery life is very good, and it's cheap to use (no expensive cell plan). Even though it's an older phone, it even supports hands free calling from my car. I bought it new on Amazon and just needed a sim card from T-Mobile. I use my iPod Touch 5 on wifi for everything else but calls.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Those early car phones didn't use cell technology. Rather they were based on more conventional radio technology, and as such ran into the problem of not having enough frequencies to cover a large number of users.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Me too - I would've guessed sometime in the 80s.

12. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Remember the first cell phone was the size of a cinder block. Then they got a little smaller, about brick size. Then they came down again to about half a brick but still required you to reinforce your pants pocket to carry them. Thank goodness for today's technology.