Happy birthday, iPhone: Let’s talk about your dirty environmental secret

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RedOrchestra, Jan 15, 2017.

1. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

What about phones made by other companies? Is the author of that article leaning toward an anti-iPhone agenda?

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Yes, the existing of human is a cancer to the environment. Everything that we do is harmful to the ecosystem. What's new?

3. willmtaylor, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

What do I think?

I think an Assoc. Prof. is trying to get headlines by using Apple's name. I think the article conveniently ignores other brands. I think the writer glosses over all of Apple's environmental efforts which lead the consumer electronics industry.

In short: the article's dirty little secret was that it itself was a waste of everyone's resources.

4. Applejuiced, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, pretty much everything us humans do is bad to the environment.

5. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Flawed research and flawed argument. I'd expect better from someone in her position. Using iPhone brand to get clicks and traction.

For example, where is mention that Apple is not the largest in terms of sales volume?

https://www.statista.com/statistics...evice-sales-by-vendor-since-1st-quarter-2008/

And then how about iPhone users upgrading less frequently than android users?

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/09/22/how-long-do-android-and-iphone-owners-keep-their-p.aspx

http://files.constantcontact.com/150f9af2201/a238f4a1-5b70-4853-b21e-226c94104d30.pdf

By all means cite the industry's problem but there must be balance. Debunked in a 2-minute fact check. Just poor all round.

6. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

That's what I thought, the article has a hidden agenda - which means it's useless.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

So basically just another version of fake news.

8. magamen macrumors member

magamen

this planet will shrug us off and not give a damn. I feel same way about it

9. willmtaylor, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Our planet has neither feelings nor a conscience. We do. We are, therefore, responsible.

"Here's to screwing those that go behind us!"

10. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I think we need to find ways to recycle all used electronics more efficiently. Not just Apple devices.

11. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Apple has made an effort to make their devices more "recyclable" but only they have the tools to effectively deconstruct and recycle each device responsibly.

The meager gift cards aren't enough to persuade people to recycle their devices so they'll continue to be handed down or sold until they end up collecting dust in somebody's drawer or in a trash pile somewhere.

This is the life of disposable electronics.

12. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

It's the Globe and Mail, most of their new stories are fake news and have very little reality.