Happy #brexit on thursday

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ries, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Ries macrumors 68000

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It's worth bearing in mind that the UK is one of the biggest markets for Apple. So they may not raise the pricing too much, if at all.

I say that with fingers, toes, and even ears crossed.

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Of cause Apple is going to raise the prices.

If Apple doesn't raise the price, it would be making less money for the same product it was selling before.

5. leman macrumors 604

Be that as it may, it already has a pronounced economical effect.

6. haydn! macrumors 6502a

The UK is huge market for iPhone and iPad, didn't stop Apple rising those prices last month. The only way the price point won't move much in the UK is if we see a drop in the US and that is pretty much certain to not happen.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

C'mon, let's keep a little optimism here! :)

8. 2ilent8cho macrumors 6502

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Either that or the UK goes: "JK! We don't really want to leave the EU."

10. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I've heard some rumors that Apple could be adding up to £400 to the price of some Macs from Thursday in the U.K. That falls into line with the up to 22% suggested here from Microsoft. Ouch.

11. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

i think people in the UK have no problem with this - they voted for it. Sooooo.. non issue. Just another consequence that makes them a better country.

12. BarcelonaPaul Suspended

48% did not and they are the people that the low life media reporters seem to forget about! NOT EVERYONE in the UK voted for this absolute disgrace!

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Actually, 17,410,742 out of a total electorate of 46,501,241 voted to leave, so it was actually a minority of the people who were eligible to vote (37.44%) and an even smaller percentage of the total population (26.68%) who voted to leave.

Unfortunately, a small majority (51.9%) of the people who actually bothered to vote wanted to leave so we're all stuck with it now because that's how democracy works

14. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It's hard to feel sorry for those who were eligible to, but didn't.

Why should I feel sorry for those who failed to do their civic duty?

15. Zenithal Suspended

A lot of the Brexit vote was based on racial awareness. But a lot of it was also about the "can do" attitude the British have had for a very long time. It's difficult to say with certainty what may happen in the next 10-20 years, as the UK had been in the EU for a long time.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I completely agree with your sentiment - I find it incredible that nearly 28% of people who were eligible to vote didn't bother on what was the biggest decision most of them will face in their lifetime.

Unfortunately, their apathy potentially affects the entire population, not just themselves

17. eroslws macrumors 6502

Not to get political, but what (other than White Nationalism) fueled people to think this was a good idea? If it is just White Nationalism, then I hope we don't have our own Brexit moment on November 9th.

18. motime macrumors 6502

People did not want a bunch of bankers in Brussels deciding their fate. It is true that a lot of the sentiments were driven by racist motives, but there were also concerned citizens who are not anti-immigration etc who supported brexit for the sake of democracy.

19. Barrierfreeman macrumors regular

Barrierfreeman

I didn't vote for it, so can I have my stuff cheaper?

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Honestly I can't see Apple raising prices to much if at all Mac's are already expensive going to much further north will price them out of reach. I think Apple may just suck it up in the UK for the next couple years

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Overvalued because the Brexit vote was coming perhaps, but in any case the drops in the exchange rates were precipitous after the vote. We will all now pay a Brexit tax in the form of increased prices on imported goods. Just swell.

But hey, by all means let's take control back....

22. unlinked macrumors 6502a

People tend to like countries (their own anyway). EU technocrats tend not to like countries.
    There is an obvious tension.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 25, 2016 ---
    Or just buy locally produced products more and import less.
    Obviously that works less well for tech in general or anyone highly tied to a branded lifestyle.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Another thread for the remain whiners to call everyone racists and bigots. You lost.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

Thats how people claim democracy works all of a sudden.

Democracy in the UK has never been based on referendums of the populace until now, apparently.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 25, 2016 ---
    We barely produce anything....... All of our heavy industry was killed off by Thatcher. We're largely service industries now.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

There are some things the UK must import. For instance, I doubt the UK is self-sufficient for food and energy. We'll be paying more for electricity from France, for instance. I do a lot of outdoor activity, and I use UK suppliers for clothing and equipment (only UK suppliers understand UK weather). They have all raised their prices because the costs of raw materials has increased. I just hope inflation doesn't get out of hand, and I am glad I have no mortgages or loans on an adjustable rate...