Happy days for gun owners

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    The center of this issue is rampant crime and death of your fellow citizens. There's no room for grinning on either side of the argument.

3. roadbloc, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Y'all learn one day that guns ask for nothing but trouble and dead bodies. Just think how many lives will be still in use if lunatics hadn't got their hands on firearms and shot up public places.

This news is saddening but not surprising. Glad I live in the UK. The idolisation of guns in the US is downright bizarre.

4. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I own firearms and while under my ownership none have been used in a crime and none have killed a single person. On the other side they have been used to protect me from harm and possible death on more then one occasion.
    So YOU can make all the claims you want but I am more then happy to take this small victory.

5. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Hmm, so your saying: You haven't killed anyone (yet) despite being unable to pass any background check ?

Cos otherwise your argument wouldn't even count as anecdotal !!

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nice to know you support criminals, mentally ill and those on the terrorist watch list being able to buy guns.

7. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Are you saying they *could* take your guns away if they did a background check on yourself? I don't quite get your argument against it.

Go America!

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

What a relief. I was worried that any psychotic with paranoid delusions of persecution and auditory hallucinations might be denied gun ownership, It's a great day for those with no contact with reality at all.:)

9. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

Forgive me for not knowing, but what about those 90 year old grannies who can't get a drivers license because they can't see the stop light? Can they get guns, too? I think there should be some ways to check to see if you can use a gun properly.

Sure there are some people who would find a way to get a gun (legally or not), but I want to make sure people do have guns can you them appropriately.

That's definitely true. So many people in the US are so used to the quick & easy paths, they think guns aren't just the best option, but guns are the only option. Plus, so many people hold so little regard for life they disagree with. If they even think that you disrespected them, they think that you deserve to die.

There are many who say "Well, such and such a device is used to kill people way more than guns. Why don't we ban those?" My answer is: I don't think it's really a matter of how many guns we have; we need to teach everyone how to be respectful and responsible. If you don't like a person, fine leave them alone. Make sure that Joe Schmo down the block has the opportunities to get a job so he doesn't have to rob you. Etc. We really need to go beyond the symptoms of the problems (shooting people) and go to causes (why people other people).

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I find it disgusting that you are against expanded background checks for gun owners. Why is that? Are you worried you won't pass? Your attitude is seriously sick. I think people like you are the problem with this country. Even the normal republicans support this bill, and by normal I mean the non-radical moderate type. As a matter of fact, the majority of the country supports expanded background checks.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

As I said in some other thread, the people who are most vehement about their right to own a gun are the ones who probably ought not be allowed to have guns.

12. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Well my side is Grinning…….:D:D:D

:D:D:D

…..all the way to my gun safe! :D

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

At least you have a gun safe.

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Your side is brain damaged.....

15. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

The fact that you store your guns in a gun safe shows some measure of responsibility. Most gun owners do not secure their guns.

I'm a moderate conservative, and I don't understand why someone would be against background checks unless they had something to worry about.

16. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

As a gun owner I find it appalling that some people are more worried about their guns then human life. You have to pass a backround check to work at sears, but in some states,not to own a firearm.:(

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That's because we all have a constitutional right to own a gun. There isn't one to work at sears. ;)

18. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Not sure where you live, but here in Massachusetts backround checks are standard. To acquire a CCL license is very difficult, as it should be.

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Couldn't have made a country's laws sound more ridiculous in one line if I tried.

20. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Considering the same OP posted this, I'm not surprised by his nutty reaction here.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You do realize that expanding background checks and repealing the 2nd amendment aren't even remotely close to the same thing? Right??? :eek:

Yes, a constitutional right for "well regulated" gun ownership. Not a free for all.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

New Jersey. Pretty sure we share the same constitution.

----------

I'm on your side. Just giving the standard answer that all gun nuts give." Its my right, period."

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Source?

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This source is interesting, although it depends on what "unsafe" means.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Here's one from the Rand Corporation ...

If fewer than half of U.S. families with children store their safely and securely, I doubt that gun owners without children do any better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.