Happy people are white, conservative, religious, and married?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by fivepoint, Sep 9, 2008.

1. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Ok, that was about as "attention-getting" of title as I can come up with. This is sure to start some intense conversation. ;) Anyway, I just found this article this morning relating to happiness in the United States. I thought it was an interesting study. I thought some of you might have some thoughts on it, and could explain to the rest of us why these numbers are the way they are. Discuss.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/301/are-we-happy-yet
    Related articles:
    http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/conservatives-are-happier-than-liberals-discuss/
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/22/AR2006022202012.html

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Church goers for one thing seem to let utter crap that happens blissfully pass them by because "god wanted it" or "it's a test".

People who know better (IMO) see things a little more for what they are some times, and consequently are more pissed off when they get hit by a bus for example - since it wasn't god testing them before they make their way to the pearly gates later in life, but some brain dead idiot at the wheel not paying attention.

...if that makes sense :eek:

3. pointycollars macrumors regular

Count me among the Democrat, Unmarried, never go to church, and very happy with my life category :)

In other words, the minority?

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I read an article a while back about how people who are conservative tend (by some small but significant percentage) to see the world more as black and white whereas left-wing folks are more interested than their conservative counterparts in shades of grey. I think this would be one reason why conservatives might be more likely to say "very happy" instead of "pretty happy", for instance.

Interestingly, the study doesn't include any analysis of how many people answered that they were pretty happy, drawing all conclusions from only people who say they are very happy, which seems like poor analysis to me. Say, for example, that 10% of one group says that they are very happy and 40% of that group say they are pretty happy. Are they happier than a group where 20% say that they are very happy but only another 25% say that they are pretty happy? Arguably yes, arguably no.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

"Lies, damned lies and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

8. Queso macrumors G4

Of course conservatives tend to be happier. If they weren't content with the way things are they wouldn't work so hard to stop it changing. Progressives on the other hand notice what is wrong with the world all the time. They are never happy with the status quo, which is why they work so hard to change things.

This survey is using circular logic. Not entirely, but it's there.

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

:confused:

Since when did compiling some unlinked crappy data count as a 'study'

There's no pattern whatsoever.....

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Hmmm: let me see…

White - Yup

Conservative - Pfft. That's a definite no..

Religious - No.

Married - Yes. But not in a way those happy conservatives would like. :p

Happy? - Very.

Oh, statistics, gotta love them.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'll let you know what I think when I've had a proper gander.

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Happier or out of touch?

Look at the condition THIS country is in? I am a liberal and I am not happy seeing US jobs outsourced to the Pacific Rim, for the benefit of rich stockholders, and much of our tax money being spent in the Middle East on a war nobody can win. We still have not rebuilt New Orleans and the country is in a major deficit.

A white person may be happier because they may face less racism. A married person may be happier because they have a partner. A religious person may be happier because they have faith. Those arguments can be made.

But why should a conservative, if that means a W supporter, be happy? W's numbers, are and have been, in the toilet. Some magazine I saw on the newsstand had some article about how W destroyed the GOP. If I were a conservative W supporter, I would be miserable.

When I first became a Democrat in the late 80s, I was so disillusioned with Dukakis-Bentsen that I was depressed. I didn't like who my new party declared as the best candidates to be on a ticket. In my view, anybody could have beaten Bush-Qualye, well except for Dukakis-Bentsen. :)

13. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

how does that saying go....ignorance is bliss??? :p

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

The questions is are they happy with their life or happy with the state of the nation?

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

To me, being politically minded, and a law student, the two are quite intertwined. I am married and religious, and those two are great things in my life for me.

As far as politics, I want Obama, but at the very least, the great thing is that in late January 2009, it's guaranteed that W won't be in the white house and neither will his two partners in crime (Cheney and Condi). I think the nation, liberals and conservatives, will have a sigh of relief seeing George ride off into the sunset far from Washington. I wish W the best and a happy retirement, and for him to stay at least 300 ft. from the white house. ;)

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

You say that like you know who McCain is going to put in his cabinet...

17. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Fearmonger :eek: :D

18. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

There are too many chances to screw a survey like this up. It certainly does not represent my personal observations. My feeling is to dismiss it.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hmm, here's me.

White: Check
    Conservative: Hell no
    Religious: Definitely hell no
    Married: Nope
    Happy? Yes, very.

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

LMAO

Well, well, let me see, hmm.

Chief Justice to replace brain cancer, stage 3 patient, Hon. Justice Roberts: What about George W. Bush?

Secretary of State: Oh, yeah, Condi, again.

VP to replace Palin when she ascends to POTUS when McCain gets older and dies: Cheney, of course.

Ambassador to Iran: Bob Dole

Press Secretary: Mike Savage

;)

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

22. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'm happy, but the only trait I match is being white, something tells me this data is slightly biased, are you sure it wasn't collected from a conservative state, as that would hideously bias the data off of the bat...

I like the "go slow and state the obvious" route

23. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

White: I pass for one ;)
    Conservative: Nyet, independent/normal err ... moderate.
    Religious: Yep
    Married: Yep
    Happy? Yep

Ok, 4/5, what do I win? :rolleyes:

I think any combination of the first 4 would give the 5th. Different people have different things that make them happy.