Happy Sequester Day!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iMikeT, Mar 1, 2013.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

It's March 1, 2013 and the sequester is here. Armageddon hasn't happened and we're still standing, as the pundits want us to think otherwise.

Personally, I'm fine with the sequester as it will cut from the bloated military budget. Though, I do hope that congress does restore what was cut from the middle class. However, I will not count on it.

In all seriousness, did we really have to go off this particular cliff to get some sensibility with our military budget?

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

I don't think it was just the military budget they were disagreeing about, was it?

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It wasn't. It's all about spending and taxes, yet again. Combine that with political ideologies philosophies, and history, and we have the same thing that happened between 1932 and 1936.

BL.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Wait, did I miss where the sensibility appeared from? I still don't see it. Congress is still holding the best interests of the country hostage while they pander to their own careers and special interests.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Well, if pro is the opposite of con, then Progress is the opposite of Congress.

BL.

6. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

When there is this much drama about reductions in planned increases, just think what a sh*tstorm there will be when Congress actually has to reduce the budget.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Too bad nobody here is poor so they won't see what really happens.

8. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

There are over 36,000 federal employees in my county. (Plus another 92,000 uniformed military personnel).

Definitely going to see the effects locally.

9. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Let's revisit this discussion in about a month - once furloughs and layoffs have been announced.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Of all the waste in government that they can cut, they seem to be going for the hot button anger essential stuff. You mean they can't fine useless things to cut.

11. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

They will see the value of their savings go down because of inflation, but will live to buy another iphone.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is no interest rates. They have been at the bottom for far too long. My savings used to make money just sitting there.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Some already have. Here's a list of the airports that have ATC towers that will be closing, unless an agreement is reached:

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/Facilities_Could_Be_Closed.pdf

Ones in particular to note are SMO (Santa Monica), and HHR (Hawthorne), near LAX. Those are important because there is an established route over LAX that helicopters and VFR traffic use that starts at SMO, overflies LAX, turns SE bound, and ends at HHR. The 3 ATC towers coordinate that. With 2 of them being gone, as well as corporate jets flying in and out of SMO, no coordination will happen. What makes it worse, is that LAX has to shut down its departures to accommodate for the SMO departure, as they share the same departure corridor. with no-one there to manage that, let alone the clearance void times for the pilots, this may cause even more delays out of LAX.

BL.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why are they going after these areas. It's not like there is not useless waste elsewhere.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm talking about the real poor. Not what you think is poor.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The real poor are already hurting, this won't change that.

17. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Ouch. A chunk of cloud just hit me in the head.

18. rdowns, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Because the sequester deal was for draconian, across the board cuts with no regard to need or waste or any logical reason. it was agreed to as it was such bad policy, it would force Congress to act. We see how that worked out. Harry Reid is useless and Boehner only cares about keeping his speakership.

And in our continuing efforts to **** ourselves over, we have a pending government shutdown and debt ceiling looming. These are self inflicted wounds that have retarded our recovery and growth.

19. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Allow me to rephrase that.

There hasn't been any sensibility in congress since Ted Kennedy died in 2008 and it's been a do-nothing congress since.

The sequester was the only way to get cuts in the military budget, probably the only sensible aspect of the sequester. And if it had to be forced on us, so be it. It was indeed 98% of what John Boehner wanted when he negotiated with Obama in 2010 to extend the Bush tax cuts.

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yay, so in a month when this actually takes effect, all of my co-workers will have to stay home between 1 and 2 days a pay period, effectively reducing their income 10-20%. As a gov. contractor, I'm not directly affected, except for the fact that the FAA isn't issuing work releases right now, so several of my co-workers have had their hours reduced further or been temporarily laid-off. I consider myself extremely lucky at this point, but I worry about 3-6 months down the road. I have a family to provide for too.

MikeT, There are definitely areas in which spending needs to be cut, but don't forget that some of these cuts are coming from reducing wages. They affect real people with families and mortgages.

Congress really pisses me off, though, by not coming to some agreement. They are failing in their jobs. And you can bet that if you or I screwed up this big in our jobs, we'd be fired on the spot.

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

And unfortunately for the country, they rigged and gerrymandered the congressional districts so they have no accountability whatsoever with anyone outside of their party anymore, so they don't have to worry about losing their jobs as long as they hold the party line and don't give in to the demands of the other party. Both parties stand firm, nothing gets done, and they get re-elected because they stood firm on the party's platform regardless if anything got done or not. It's just turned in to a big pissing contest.

Nobody should be surprised by this.

22. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm not for anyone losing their job, especially the middle class and the working poor. What I am for is cutting the amount of military spending that we as a country incur. The Pentagon has even gone on record to say that they do not need any more money. Much of the money is funneled through projects that do nothing but line the pockets of the war profiteers. Why are we as a country fine with making the bomb makers even richer when they have nothing to contribute but death and destruction?

Here's an idea.... How about we divert those who will lose jobs because of the sequester to work on projects that actually produce something like our infrastructure?

23. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

YAY for layoffs to the Middle class!!!!!! :rolleyes:

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If it isn't going to put the US into recession surely this is a good thing?

25. APlotdevice, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Tell that to all the people who are going to lose their job in the coming year. Or the struggling families whose problems are only going to get worse.

The sequester was never intended to actually go into effect. That it did shows exactly what is wrong with the festering mass we call Congress.