Happy Smallpox day!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Oct 6, 2012.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Columbus Day, or what in my state is a controversial holiday, can be celebrating what could be the first introduction of smallpox (and possibly other diseases) to the North American region.

Though initially not intentional for European diseases to afflict Native Americans, I do understand the sentiment of those who believed the Westerners abused the Native Americans.

I was back in college when the first controversy over if it should be observed in California was all on TV and there were a lot of points of view and some protests.

Thoughts?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

First came the ships.

Now planes come.

At least the ships allowed the diseased to die and be buried at sea.

Planes are flying syringes, just waiting to wreck havoc.

:rolleyes:

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I saw an interesting documentary on how HIV was initially said to become widespread though an airline steward in what could have launched the diseases first foothold into an epidemic. If that's true, then those airplanes carried this single man into many regions infecting a lot with HIV. Since AIDS comes from HIV infection which could take many years to develop symptoms, one person infected could infect many before he/she realizes the danger. A person with HIV working on international flights could eventually lead to thousands of deaths traced just from that one carrier, so it's Typhoid Mary, but only to a larger geographical area.

4. 184550 Guest

Columbus Day is celebrated on the second Monday (10/8) of October in the US. ;)

But I guess you couldn't control yourself any longer, eh?

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

Well it is called Columbus Day weekend (if you're lucky enough to have it off).

These sort of threads pop up annually. Same stuff gets mentioned.

6. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Angry liberal in me couldn't stay quiet!:eek:;)

but if anything, a true history of Columbus, bad and good, should be taught...but in a long term move that may have equalized the Karma is the discovery of a cool thing the Native Americans had called tobacco that Westerners found irresistible or to die for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbian_Exchange

7. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Well, the conquest and decimation of the Native American Tribes was essentially inevitable, and there really could have been no other outcome when they were faced with greedy, land hungry Europeans with superior weapons and technology.

That said, I have often wondered how history would have been different had the Native Americans been more aggressive towards the initial waves of invaders.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's been tried, and has pretty much been a failure, because the invaders did so in the name of god, or some such deity.

I believe there are still a few hold-outs, among them a couple of small tribes in the upper Amazon.

They too will eventually be assimilated, but this time in the name of big business.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If Native Americans hadn't killed off the last of the North American horses, they might have had a chance at fighting off the Europeans. What Americans sorely lacked was a beast of burden. It's a shame they forgot to brink one over the Bering Sea ice bridge. History might well have been radically different.

10. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, my thoughts are that America was probably a beautiful place before Christopher Columbus discovered it.