Happy Thanksgiving...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Enjoy time with family and loved ones, I'm sincere about that, doing it myself, while taking a moment to reflect on the historical illusion, and ask for forgiveness for our ancestors. Yeah, I know that's how humans conquered the world, but it's still sad when you read about how many treaties we broke, and events such as The Trail Of Tears. Glad they dumped Jackson off our currency if that has finally happened.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Seriously? That won't be a part of my Thanksgiving day. Feel free to spend yours as you wish.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Thanksgiving is probably the perfect American holiday. It generally involves a lot of food. Sitting on the couch watching football games. Its basically a made-up holiday; based on a historical myth; and conveniently reinvented for political purposes. Twice.

Most European nations have a traditional harvest festival. But they come too early in the year, and generally requires the cooperation of farmers. Which most of us aren't. And going to Church; which most of us don't do nearly as often as we say we do. So Thanksgiving is planned a comfortable few weeks ahead of Christmas. Thanksgiving is to Christmas the way pre-season is to regular season games. Another uniquely American innovation.

America's Native American people really ought to be mad at Thanksgiving. But instead, they've wisely chosen to reserve their anger for Christopher Columbus; Andrew Jackson; and the Washington Redskins. Not necessarily in that order.

Thanksgiving is a moveable feast.

When I was growing up, I think I read or overheard this phrase and completely misunderstood it. I had visions of foil-covered serving platters; piled folding chairs and trolleys loaded with stacked dishes. Sort of a big picnic on wheels. Instead it means a Festival whose actual date moves around with the calendar - rather than being on a specific date of the year. But given the realities of working mothers; blended families; long-distance relationships - many of us really will be toting Saran-wrapped pumpkin pies and pyrex dishes of sausage-herb stuffing to our Thanksgiving dinners.

Thanksgiving really is another great American innovation: The equal-opportunity holiday. Our Jewish and Muslim friends can celebrate being American without any of the twinges I'm sure they feel when they get Christmas and Easter off from work. Independence Day shares this non-denominational trait. But with hot dogs and fireworks.

In spite of everything; I think most of us have a lot to be thankful for this year. We aren't totally at peace. But we aren't sending thousands of our best young people off to their second and third deployments in a combat zone. We have a lot of friends around the world. Unemployment is down to the lowest level in years. Wages are rising - slowly. More people have health insurance coverage. Gay people can get married. America imports less oil than it has in years. Gas is a lot cheaper than it used to be. (Cause = Effect) Our skies and highways are a lot safer than they used to be too. So more of us will make it back safely from wherever we travelled on the Thanksgiving holiday.

Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving. Even if you don't live in the USA. You'll be glad you did.

4. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Why is it liberals can't give it a rest for even one day. I'll be damned if I go through life worrying about what happened to people hundreds of years ago by people I don't know or care about. This guilt you people carry around on your backs is stupid.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

What's wrong with truth? Why is truth so annoying to people?

6. Happybunny, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015

Happybunny macrumors 68000

To all the US members of the forum have a fantastic Thanksgiving Day with your families.

[​IMG]

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Happy thanksgiving!

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Happy Thanksgiving!

9. edk99 macrumors 6502a

It's to bad the Redskins aren't playing today. I'm sure that would of got a whole lot of liberals panties in bunches.

Happy Thanksgiving!

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

You've clearly never visited Plymouth, MA on thanksgiving...

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Oh, I was not aware of that....

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Agree. No guilt here. We came, we conquered, welcome to humanity. The US isn't a world superpower just because; we earned and fought for that rank. I swear people today are too soft and if we ever lose our position in the world it will be because of that.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and onward to the Christmas season. Now if it would just snow here and make it feel more like the season.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanksgiving Wikipedia

Not feeling guilty, just reflective. Don't worry. Go Redskins, even if they are not playing today! :)

Good question, best not mentioned today. ;)

15. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

We are all thankful to God for the many great things in our life, especially to be living in America, the greatest country in the world!

16. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Yeah, our neighbors told us we should go up and check it out even if only once (we live about an hour away). Apparently it's pretty wild, lots of "interesting" folks milling about.

We haven't made it out to Plymouth yet, I've heard the Rock is pretty underwhelming. But I don't think we'll be making it today.

17. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Can only imagine how miserable it would be spending today with PSRI's liberals. The lecturing and condescending attitudes when family just wants to spend a day of happiness.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Glad macroumers has prepared my for my right wing brother. wonder if he loves the Donald too?

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Seems like (some) liberals and Native Americans revel in sprinkling a dash of reality on the party. Shame on them. :D

Keep fantasizing. I have some fairly liberal and conservative family members who somehow avoid confrontation over TDay festivities. However, here I can say what's on my mind and expect a warm welcome. :)

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'll flip this around a bit.

We should thank our ancestors ... and ask for the forgiveness of future generations for the mess we've left of this world.

Sorry. But it's the best we could manage.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Tamales turkey and ham today. Sweet. Y'all have a good one. Stay safe & watch out for drunk drivers. Take uber/sidecar/lyft if you drink

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think we've done OK, for a start there's a billion poor now not five.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Depends on the people , plenty here can't handle the fact Obama is a war monger

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

What the hell does Obama have to do with Thanksgiving?