happy verizon customer but longing for a better phone, should i make the jump?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jena55, Jun 12, 2009.

1. jena55 macrumors member

I know no one can really answer that question, but i just can't decide what to do. I can wait around for verizon to come out with an iphone... but i really dont want to wait years and who knows when it will be- if ever. Or, i could pay an early termination fee (my contract isnt up til end of 2010) and risk a jump to ATT for an iphone (or something similiar) that could potentially be released to verizon soon.

My main dilemma is that I have had excellent service with Verizon. Absolutely no complaints. I just really want a phone where I can pop on facebook quickly while at work.. check my email... that kind of stuff (so i dont risk getting in trouble at work for being online on my work computer too much!) I am worried about ATT coverage and call quality though. I live in Champaign, IL.

AHHHHH what to do. Oh also a friend had an iphone in my office one time and it was making my speakers and work phone buzz and pop like crazy. I only want an iphone i think if I can figure out a solution to that as well.

Opinions- please.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

If you're happy with Verizon, stay with Verizon. Wait for a new iPod touch and pick that up to tide you over.

3. damesJ macrumors member

I just made the jump when Apple announced the 3gs and I couldn't be more excited. I was annoyed with how verizon hampered most of their phones. Also, I didn't receive good service inside my home while all my at&t friends got full service. That made it a bit easier from me.

You can check at&ts site and see how the coverage is in your area. If its good why not make the jump? Something tells me you'll be extremely pleased with the iphone.

4. Betelgeuse macrumors member

You could just skip the iPhone altogether and get something like a Blackberry Storm. If the main thing you want it for is email and Facebook, getting an iPhone is probably overkill. Verizon is known for their excellent coverage while AT&T is not. If you're in a big city, it's less likely to make any difference who your carrier is, but it's still something to think about.

There are plenty of perfectly nice Smartphones out there that will check email and Facebook easily that can be had for a lot less money than an iPhone.

EDIT: gloss's idea of an iPod Touch is an excellent one, assuming you have wireless internet that you can access at work; it's an iPhone without the phone!

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Also, only the Edge iPhone makes the speaker noises (If I'm correct?).

I heard that 3G data signals don't interfere with speakers.

I might be wrong though..

6. jena55 thread starter macrumors member

I guess I should have mentioned... I do already have a ipod touch. I LOVE it. However, my work unfortunately does not have wifi. :( If i get an iphone, i will sell my ipod touch. As for the speaker interference... it may not happen with 3g, but Champaign doesnt have 3g coverage yet.. although we are supposedly supposed to be getting it soon.

The iphone/ipod touch's facebook and email apps are so awesome. I think they are pretty crappy on some phones, although I havent seen how they work on everyone out there.

7. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

i had a first gen touch..then a second gen touch. I couldnt stand not being able to use the internet on it wherever i went...so i switched from verizon to att (i had a couple months left so the termination fee was only 20 bucks...)i had been with verizon for at least 6 years. got the iphone when it went down to $300 a couple months ago (16gb)..and ill get buying a new one for 499.

8. wr1020 macrumors regular

I am also currently with verizon but i decided to end my contract early so i ordered a 3G S on Wednesday. My verizon contract ends this December but i am an extremely impatient person so i decided to just pay the termination fee. It's prorated so at least i won't be paying the $175 like it used to be. I couldn't be more stoked to get my iphone, i've been wanting one for a long time now and i finally made the jump, i can't wait til next Friday.

9. Noelmel macrumors regular

i know just what ur going through. Im very happy with verizon and only half way through my contract. But I wanted an iphone more than anything so I preordered it. Its a shame I feel kinda bad breaking my contract with Verizon, cuz Ive had no complaints either but I think its worth it. Im sure they r used to alot of people leaving for the iphone lol

10. Lara F macrumors 6502a

If you can afford the MiFi, that could be an option for the Touch (especially if you're currently on a cheaper non smartphone plan).

Tough call - I went to the iPhone from Verizon and there are plenty of times I'm annoyed with AT&T...but the iPhone *is* worth it IMO especially as Verizon's current phone selection is crap. The Storm 2 might be a substantial improvement though and they'll soon get WebOS phones too. Plus if AT&T pisses off Apple enough they may have something ready as soon as the exclusivity ends next year, but that depends on how the LTE deployment has progressed.

11. jena55 thread starter macrumors member

I actually did look into the MiFi... but the cheapest you can get that for is 39.99 and it has limited data... so not sure if it would be enough. Tempting though. The real answer.... my work needs wifi!!! The place I work though deals with secure financial information, i am sure they see an open wifi network as a security issue... and since all employees have desktops and there are plenty of open cable connections for laptops, there is no real need. :( I am sure we have wifi for our intraoffice network (well i assume), but i am not so sure the company big wigs would appreciate me asking for access so I can play on my ipod. lol

UGH

Any tips on decent verizon phones? I dont like the verizon music player, no comparision to apple... so the vcast does nothing for me. I have the samsung alias 2. I really like it... but just want something alittle more i think.

12. MTI macrumors 65816

VZW recently "de-crippled" the GPS function on their phones, so the Blackberry's may now be a good smartphone choice.

It's funny that VZW was reportedly Apple's "1st choice" as the exclusive carrier for the iPhone, but they just couldn't come to terms.

13. jena55 thread starter macrumors member

I definitely can agree that VZW's phones are crippled. That's why I have mainly stuck to simple phones... because alot of the extra stuff they put on their phones is just junk. Still, the coverage is fantastic... and for me that is important.

14. PTR1nYc macrumors newbie

I am a Verizon customer for 7 years and am now switching to ATT bought a 32 gig 3Gs. Im still under contract and paying an ETF. I have nothing but good things to say about their service. But I just lost patience with them releasing a quality phone that is up to par with what other carriers are offering.
    I do realize that ATT service is not as good as Verizons, but its a sacrifice im willing to make to have an iphone. Like you I have an Ipod Touch and it bothers me that I can not go online when im not home. And its a hassle to always carry around 2 devices.

I currently have the storm and its the biggest POS phone Ive ever owned (and ive owned quite a few). By the time Verizon releases the Palm pre Sprint will be announcing the Pre 2. Seems like they get every phone 1 year after they're released by other carriers. So im willing to give ATT a shot, because in my opinion the Iphone is far superior to any other phone on the market.

15. chucktown macrumors newbie

I have a family plan with 2 lines with alltel. If want to switch to at&t can I just cancel one of the numbers without paying the ETF? If not, how much is the ETF? My contract ends at the end of August but I am tired of my POS phone.

16. iPhoneFreak17 macrumors member

iPhoneFreak17

Same situation here man,I'm on Verizon, Love the service but sick of their phones,so I'm switching soon to AT&T(HOPEFULLY)to get the 3GS,I'm also paying the ETF cuz my contract end in 2011 and there is no way I'm waiting that long, and btw AT&T service is good here in Michigan,so I'm guessing its good in chicago too,but I heard its horrible in San Fransisco...

17. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

We have been with Verizon for about 4/5 years now. Customer service sucks, phones suck and were just tired of it. They don't care and we get to deal with it. They might have the "largest network" but they have the ********* service.

I am with AT&T and the customer service is great. Never had an issue and the phone service is great too. Been with them a year now. My brother just sold his Storm and got an iPhone 3GS and is now on my plan. So is the rest of the family. Just moved them over.

So long Verizon. I like my milky minutes! :D

18. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i left verizon for the 1st iphone and ive had every iphone since then - i will never go back to verizon

19. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I keep VZ for voice calls because in my area VZ is by far the best. I also have a iPhone 3Gs which I use for data and Mobile Me. If AT&T in my area would be better, I could be happy with just the iPhone but it is not very good for voice calls. Lots of dropped calls poor signal in my office, so I have to have both Blackberry on Verizon for calls and AT&T for my data on my iPhone. It is a pain to carry 2 phones but it gets the job done. Now iPhone on Vz in my area would be awesome but fat chance of that happening in my life time. That would solve all of my issues. There is no perfect solution yet.

20. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

As a longtime Verizon Customer and a iPhone 2G owner the day it came out, who is now back with Verizon, I would say that if you are happy with Verizons service then stick with them. A phones function should first be a phone and if reception isnt good where you live then what good will the iPhone do you?

I would take a long hard look at the Tour. Do not get the Storm! I have it and the click screen sucks. I cant say I havent been EXTREMELY tempted to pick up the new 3GS though :apple:

21. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Some people just have to have iPhone no matter what. If you are not one of them, then, save your ETF and stay with Verizon and wait for the new iPod Touch coming out this fall.

22. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

23. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

+1 :)

24. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

Stick with Verizon....i switched from Verizon to AT&T when the first iPhone came out b/c my company switched to AT&T (for the iPhone)....I've never had so many problems...it was at least 6 months before AT&T got the billing right...I'll switch back to verizon if i'm given the chance

25. Konz macrumors regular

Switch.

Verizon is garbage is some areas, AT&T is garbage in other areas -- neither one is perfect but at least with AT&T you can get a real phone.

You can also avoid the ETF if you recently got the Administrative Charge increase on your Verizon bill. See here to find out what to say.