Happy with the Locate Me feature in 2.1 update on my G1 iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DarthGore, Sep 15, 2008.

1. DarthGore macrumors newbie

I've got an original iPhone and was happy with it (till they announced a 3G version!) but with the release of iPhone 2.0 software when the 3G was launched, I noticed that the "locate me" feature stopped working (literally stopped!) when I upgraded to 2.0.

This made me unhappy, and therefore wanting a 3G iPhone even more... until now! I upgraded to 2.1 and the locate me feature works again!!!! YAY!!!!!!!

Apart from sometimes being wildly inaccurate when I'm in the centre of London (I was out in West London and it was telling me it's found me near Oxford Circus...) but when I've used it at home, or out and about it's actually very accurate (to the point where it accurately tracked me on the A3)

Needless to say... do I upgrade to a 3G iPhone now for the 3G speeds and the GPS function, or do I sit out my contract till next August and get the 3rd generation iPhone that they'll probably release next year, including all those MacRumors requirements of video/MMS and copy/paste functions? LOL!!!

So guys... do I upgrade to a 3G iPhone since my Locate Me now works again???

2. sibruk macrumors 6502a

It is, of course, up to you! Only you can decide how important pin-point accuracy with GPS is, and faster internet speeds.

The way I see it is that I will be using an iPhone for the foreseeable future. So I am happy to keep entering into new 18 month contracts whenever a new model comes out. Now that the subsidy is there, it's actually very cheap to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

And then you could always sell your 1st Gen on eBay and recoup all of the money you spend on the 3G anyway! (I didn't, I decided to keep my 1st Gen and now use it as a remote control (with Remote Buddy), web surfing device and iPod.)