Happy with Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hexonxonx, Jan 6, 2012.

1. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Now that I've sold my AT&T iPhone, I am thinking about taking a ride up to Verizon and getting an iPhone 4S through them. I'm approved, I tried ordering one on the website and it took me through to getting my card details.

Any quick thoughts on Verizon with the 4S?

2. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Verizon 3G speeds are slower and you can't use data while on a call. Other than that, it just depends on which has the better service in your area.

3. irDigital0l Guest

It depends on the area you live.

But Verizon is amazing where I am and they were nice enough to give me my unlimited data plan back so yea there cool.

4. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Of course on the phone just now, I was told they are out of them in stores nationwide right now.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My fiance is on Verizon through her work. It is noticeably slower. She has a lot more buffering issues (we uses google music a lot) than I do. All in all, it isn't unmanageable. Your mileage will certainly vary. Verizon should have a return policy. I have read that dropped from 30 to 14 days, but that should still be plenty of time for you to be able to decide if you like the service or not.

----------

Call the Apple store. They will almost always have them in, at least at the beginning of the day.

6. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks. I just checked BestBuy and I can get one tonight and it's closer than the Apple store. I think I'll head over there.

They do have a return policy so I am not worried about trying it out.

7. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I had a decent experience with the performance aspect of Verizon. The service compared to other competitors (at the time Cingular, T-Mobile, Sprint/Nextel) was considerably more expensive considering identical features.

That being said, AT&T will have the faster data network and GSM allows you to both surf and talk at the same time; Verizon's network is more reliable and you can pick it up in more places.

I personally chose Sprint for a money issue. I got a ton of features with Sprint over the last few years for almost 2/3rds of the price I would have paid with Verizon, with very few issues on the voice side of things. The data side on my Blackberry leaves much to be desired. I upgrade soon, and that will determine for me if it's the phone or the network. If it's the network, I'm going to switch to AT&T.

So, long story short:

I enjoyed Verizon very much, but it was a lot more expensive compared to AT&T and Sprint.
    I enjoy Sprint currently, aside from slow upload speeds on my Blackberry, probably because my phone is ancient and can't really take advantage of the network.
    If I were starting today with nothing, I would go to AT&T.

8. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have to say, I couldn't be happier with Verizon. I lurk between two fairly decent sized major(for TN) metropolitan areas which Verizon has even LTE in both(Nashville and Knoxville) I can drive from one city to another without ever losing 3G, or even getting close. I test drove AT&T and thought I would get the same results, but I didn't. I lost 3G several times during this trip and was almost completely unable to transmit data so I decided to stick it out with Vzw. As other have said, Vzw is a bit slower- but overall I think your 3G coverage will increase, you will see it in many areas you might not have before. So it's up to you. Is the network quality up to par with AT&T? 100%. Is it better? Opinion.

9. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

I'm not so worried about the slower network. I still have one iPhone activated with AT&T and so I can always use that for things that would need a faster network. I did notice that some people had faster 3G speeds on Verizon then AT&T so who knows.

I've been with Sprint before I came to AT&T for the original iPhone so I know how their network was. I used t drop more calls then I did with AT&T. Anyways, I'll be heading out shortly to get a Verizon 4S.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm very satisfied with Verizon service. I have it with my iPhone (grandfathered unlimited data), and also Fios service for my home phone, internet, and cable TV.

All the services are reliable, and generally a strong phone signal wherever I am - with the exception of a small part of a neighboring.town.

Of course, the quality of your service will depend on where you live. I'm sure that in some geographical locations, ATT or Sprint my be faster or more reliable. But in my area - Verizon is tops.

One caveat - tech support can be frustrating. It takes forever to get through on the phone, and then it's a crap shoot on whether you get a tech who knows anything. Can suck at times.

11. AndyinAtl, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

AndyinAtl macrumors member

I have been on Verizon since November and live in a NE suburb of Atlanta. I stream Pandora for 30-60 min/day and it has had one minuscule glitch the entire time. I've been surprisingly pleased. It is spendy though.

12. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

13. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

I've had Verizon for nearly 8 years and I've been happy overall. In my area, they are the best as far as service is concerned. All in all, I am pleased with the customer support as well. In-store, not so much...but every time I've called *611, the people on the phone have been able to resolve the issues that the people in the store couldn't/wouldn't.

14. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Well so far at home, all I get is the small o and no 3G on Verizon. :( This is in Denver Colorado.

15. SoIsays macrumors regular

if you travel overseas, it's perfect. i don't have to pay $650 for an unlocked phone now. verizon unlocked it for me after 60 days. now i can use it in the us and overseas starting this weekend.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

In my area I have excellent coverage with Verizon and AT&T. Having used them concurrently for years they are nearly the same. I do receive better customer service from AT&T, with faster data speeds otherwise I have good things to say about both.

17. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Well this isn't looking good. Standing out on my porch all I get is the small o with no 3G.

18. chrisbetty macrumors 6502

I was just in best buy mobile with my gf for 3 hours today setting up her iPhone 4S on AT&T and they had plenty of Verizon iPhones 4S in white an black

19. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Yes, they had plenty. I saw a huge amount when the guy opened the cabinet to grab mine.

20. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Idk, it sounds like you may be one of the 25 people who don't get 3G. My grandpa lives in the smallest town in northern rural Mississippi where even regional carriers for that area(C-Spire) for example don't get 3G, AT&T, sprint and Tmo get no service. While I have happily sat down there as long as I remember having a 3G phone with full service. What's funny is every one of them at a holiday ask to use my phone to get out. Even the ones who live in neighboring cities less than 25 minutes away cannot pull Any signal. While Verizon can be pricy, I called them tonight after reading this thread to see when I joined, Feb, 2000. There is a reason I still use them today. I usually average about 1.5-2 mb down at any given time where I live. Also, on a plus note- noticing my 4S getting back up into the 5.5-6 hours of usage time and still have some charge left if I really hammer on it during the day. Good to see.

21. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for this post. I am not exactly in the middle of nowhere. I am in Denver just off the Boulder Turnpike near I-25, a huge highway running in the middle of the biggest city in Colorado.

I'm going to head out and try my 4S around my area and see how it goes. I don't need the 3G so much. I can always use my AT&T 3GS for that. Right now, I do have a 3G signal and have downloaded a few apps and each has taken several minutes to DL. Well, I'm going to restore my backup to my phone and head out and see how the phone does in my area.

22. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

Really depends on your opinioins and history with Verizon. Make sure to check your area for good coverage. Keep in mind that no data can be used during a call, lame:rolleyes:.

23. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

I've been a Verizon customer since before they were Verizon… going back 20 years. I have used ATT and Spring, w/ regular clamshell "dumb" phones… was not impressed, too many dropped calls, at least with those phones. I have rarely ever had a dropped call with any phone on Verizon - I've only had an iPhone since Oct '11, before that clams. I don't like not having ability to access data whilst talking, but honestly it is not that big of a deal. My biggest peeve of all about Verizon is that their coverage is totally crap in south-central Missouri.

24. hexonxonx thread starter macrumors 601

Ok, my 3G problem is just in my house. Around my area, I got nearly 2Mbps at an intersection. I can handle no 3G at my house. I had no 3G three years ago at my house with AT&T.

25. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Love my Verizon iPhone. if I had a 4S, i might want AT&T, but i'm hoping when iPhone goes LTE, Verizon will have the faster network (which seems to be the indication)