Haptic Home Button?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MyiBill, Mar 7, 2012.

1. MyiBill macrumors 6502

If the iPad does indeed have a haptic display then maybe it will have a home button thats not there but you can "feel" it.

2. maclook macrumors 65816

I don't want a haptic home button. I want a physical one. It doesn't make sense to me to simulate a home button when we already have a real one.

I'm still peeved that MR closed the original haptic display thread.

3. MyiBill thread starter macrumors 6502

I know the "leaked" parts show a spot for the home button but if they were real and the haptic display is real then wouldn't the screen have been different?

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I believe the way the haptic technology is specifically placed and designed vibration motors combined with very, very smart software. The screen wouldn't have to be different. Also, with the way the case tapers, I'd imagine it'd be hard to get a vibration motor in the right place to actually do a haptic home button

However, the haptic claim makes sense, because that, more than anything, explains the thicker case. The iPad 2 had plenty of room in its case (since, hardware wise, it's essentially an iPhone 4S with a bigger battery on the inside). A newer processor that isn't any larger and maybe some extra battery capacity wouldn't explain the added thickness, vibration motors would

5. MyiBill thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought this kind of haptic display had no moving parts?

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

maybe that's true...I haven't read about the tech in awhile.

If that's the case, then its complexity is beyond me. I'm sitting here trying to think of how to give feedback without moving parts and I can't think of anything besides electric pulse...not exactly a good thing to try to market to people.

If that's the case, then there would probably be a layer of some sort behind the screen...still wouldn't change the screen shape/size, but would thicken it. Again explaining the thicker shell.

7. futzwash macrumors newbie

i like where you head is at!

Lets disect the iPad HD invite with what we know now:

• The ipad invite shows a finger that isnt actually touching the glass.........
    Senseg's technology can actually be felt without actually TOUCHING THE DEVICE (one will be about to feel the impulses by being in close proximity to the glass)

• There is no home button........
    The use of a haptic display CAN cover under the black bezel, and therefore just because a home button isn't visible, doesnt mean that you cant actually FEEL and push it! What if they are implementing the elongated home button we were predicting that would be on the Iphone 5, but we just cant see it yet, because it will only be able to be felt using the haptic display?