Hard Disk Upgrade on my 27-inch Late 2009 iMac 11,1

Discussion in 'iMac' started by titansking, Jun 11, 2011.

1. titansking macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I would like to upgrade the harddisk in my iMac from a Seagate 1TB model to a Seagate 2TB model.

I have read in the forums that for this particular model of the iMac, i have to ensure that i buy the same model of the hard disk as what came in my machine originally. So i have figured that part out. I am thinking of getting a 2.0TB Seagate Barracuda XT.

Am i expected to run into any problems post upgrade?

I read somewhere that Apple has done some firmware upgrade which pretty much limits user options for disk upgrades. Result being, your FAN goes mad and runs at rull speed and etc etc..

Any and every feedback is useful.

Thank you.

Regards,
    titan

iMac 27 Inch Core i5, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

2. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Just short-cut the temperature sensor, and you´r fit for fight. Did it with my 160GB Intel 320 SSD. Fans are running as before.

Here´s a pic...
    http://angelgade.dk/wp-content/uploads/IMG_4748.jpg

3. titansking thread starter macrumors newbie

@Baunkjaer - Thank you for your reply and the picture. Looks like you have successfully upgraded your Internal SSD.

My iMac doesnt have any SSD option. Its a late 2009 model. I am only looking to upgrade my HDD from 1TB factory shipped to 2TB.

My iMac is fitted with a 1TB Seagate hard drive (Model #ST31000528ASQ) and i would like to have this upgraded with a 2TB Seagate hard drive (Model # ST32000641AS)

Has anyone had any success with this?

4. titansking thread starter macrumors newbie

I have got a go ahead from OWC technical support and they seem to have had no customers reporting of a problem. But i have also read somewhere that, Apple fits a custom firmware on the hard drive that pretty much makes 3rd party upgrades impossible. Even if the heat sensing cables are swapped right, they seem to be blasting at full speeds.

Any thoughts?

5. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Mine is a late 2009 as well. I just replace the original 1TB Seagate with the SSD.
    Can't see why you shouln't do the same. If Tour fans go crazy, just dó the short-cut trick.

6. titansking thread starter macrumors newbie

@Baunkjaer - you are a rock star. Do you have any guide somewhere which i could follow. If i can upgrade to an SSD, nothing like it.

7. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Sure. I used the guide from ifixit.com. It took me about 30 mins - I´ve tried it before.
    In order to make it easy for me, I cloned the original drive with , with the SSD in an external USB BOX.
    Feel free to ask additional questions, but the operation is straight out. Also keep in mind, out late 2009 iMac doesn´t have SATA3, so you wont win anything if you buy some of the new SATA3 SSD´s.

8. Exirion, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

Exirion macrumors newbie

It was nothing but a rumor and OWC had to admit they were wrong :)

http://www.9to5mac.com/66736/owc-choose-your-new-imac-hard-drive-wisely-you-only-get-one-shot/

The worst that can happen is that your HDD fan goes wild, but I made a simple softwarebased solution for this:

http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl

Let me know if it works for you.

9. titansking thread starter macrumors newbie

@Exirion

Thank you for your note. I have changed my mind about upgrading to SSD. I would still like to stick to HDD upgrade to 2TB. Mine is a late 2009 iMac. So u r saying that it should be fine to do this upgrade?

10. Exirion macrumors newbie

On the day I bought my 2011 iMac (about 5 weeks ago) I put in a OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS. It's incredibly fast and even much faster than the Vertex 2 in my previous iMac. Bottom line: once you have an SSD, there's no way back :D

No more waiting, no more beachballs... It unleashes the true power of your Mac :)

11. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Couldn´t agree more. Ever since I first tried an SSD in a Mac, there has been no looking back.
    Even my daughter, which is no nerd at all, is extreme happy, as I installed an old 80GB X-25M in her MB. Says it like having a new Mac:)

12. titansking thread starter macrumors newbie

OK someone pls help me here. So are you guys saying that i can have an SSD drive + HDD at the same time on my Late 2009 iMac? If yes, can someone pls point me to a howto guide?

13. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Only if you replace the optical drive with a SSD.

14. titansking thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i am ok to do away with the Optical Drive. Is there any HOWTO available that can help me add an SSD at the optical drive?